Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes like I posted in cmbnyc's crash thread, some scum stole my ZX10R on Monday last week :angryfire: and came back to try to grab a 2012 ZX6R but were chased off.

So my time with an awesome bike has been cut short (and this time) through no fault of my own.

Police not interested. Low priority crime. CCTV but thieves arrived on a fake plate stolen bike and kept helmets on so no Id.

Anyway...Looking to the future (quite far from now as have no money)...I'm thinking of the G5 2016 ZX10R.

I'm not going to be riding on the road anymore so I may just buy a track prepped one...but I also don't like the thought of buying someone else's wreckage so I may just build up a track / race bike from a low mile road bike.

My main question is...I really don't want to have to throw a lot more money at a bike which even used will cost me nearly £12,000 (about $15,500). The main issue I had with my G4 was the suspension was a bit weak especially the rear.

Is the G5 such an improvement and good enough that racers and serious trackdayers leave it stock?

I still have my Bitubo shock as thankfully I had not fitted it to my bike, and also have a Brembo master cylinder left over from another bike.

For a club racing set up...Slip on...Flash and the above parts...Is this enough?

I just want a bike I can use almost straight from factory.

I'm also looking at the new Gixxer but that is probably out of my price range right now.

Would like to hear if you moved from a G4 to a G5 and you either race or do a lot of track days.

Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My gen 5 is track only. In my opinion ifyou don't race, the stock suspension is very very good. Save the money for more track days. There is a reason suzuki picked the same Showa hardware for their gsxr1000r. The electronics are nuts. Let's you get away with a lot while not violently intruding on your forward drive. Quick shift up and down is a nice feature. And the m50 monoblocs are top shelf brembo production calipers. All I did with mine is set the suspension for my weight, added Vesrah rjl-xx, and slicks.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yes like I posted in cmbnyc's crash thread, some scum stole my ZX10R on Monday last week :angryfire: and came back to try to grab a 2012 ZX6R but were chased off.

So my time with an awesome bike has been cut short (and this time) through no fault of my own.

Police not interested. Low priority crime. CCTV but thieves arrived on a fake plate stolen bike and kept helmets on so no Id.

Anyway...Looking to the future (quite far from now as have no money)...I'm thinking of the G5 2016 ZX10R.

I'm not going to be riding on the road anymore so I may just buy a track prepped one...but I also don't like the thought of buying someone else's wreckage so I may just build up a track / race bike from a low mile road bike.

My main question is...I really don't want to have to throw a lot more money at a bike which even used will cost me nearly £12,000 (about $15,500). The main issue I had with my G4 was the suspension was a bit weak especially the rear.

Is the G5 such an improvement and good enough that racers and serious trackdayers leave it stock?

I still have my Bitubo shock as thankfully I had not fitted it to my bike, and also have a Brembo master cylinder left over from another bike.

For a club racing set up...Slip on...Flash and the above parts...Is this enough?

I just want a bike I can use almost straight from factory.

I'm also looking at the new Gixxer but that is probably out of my price range right now.

Would like to hear if you moved from a G4 to a G5 and you either race or do a lot of track days.

Thanks.
Let me guess, from in front of your Apartment complex.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My gen 5 is track only. In my opinion ifyou don't race, the stock suspension is very very good. Save the money for more track days. There is a reason suzuki picked the same Showa hardware for their gsxr1000r. The electronics are nuts. Let's you get away with a lot while not violently intruding on your forward drive. Quick shift up and down is a nice feature. And the m50 monoblocs are top shelf brembo production calipers. All I did with mine is set the suspension for my weight, added Vesrah rjl-xx, and slicks.
Thanks...That's good info.

Did you have a G4 before? Does the G5 understeer like the stock G4 and/or require the same effort to turn the bike, or has that been cured?

Thanks.

Let me guess, from in front of your Apartment complex.
From outside my work :(

They had something to electronically disable the factory immobiliser...As they rode it off.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Thanks...That's good info.

Did you have a G4 before? Does the G5 understeer like the stock G4 and/or require the same effort to turn the bike, or has that been cured?

Thanks.

From outside my work :(

They had something to electronically disable the factory immobiliser...As they rode it off.
Sorry you lost your ride man. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry you lost your ride man. Hope it works out.
Cheers...You're the first one that's said that on here...Thought others would care enough to say since having your bike stolen is not uncommon and feels shit.

Anyway thanks...Making plans to get the next one...Probably sticking with Kawasaki.

Here's to the next one.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had the 2015 R1 before my gen5. Never had a gen4. But there is no issue of understeer after dialing in suspension.

·
Registered
569 Posts
2015 had the 2nd gear transmission recall. So the "techs" at the dealer had to disassemble my factory sealed motor and monkey around in there replacing 2nd gear. The bike leaked oil ever since the recall. Finally after taking back to the dealer several times, i had enough and figured i'd give kawasaki a try. I am glad I did. My next track bike will probably be a CBR1000RR SP or updated R1. R1 is a great bike, just stay away from any 2015 models.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Sorry to hear your ride was stolen. I had one taken from me a long time ago and it's a miserable feeling. I hate thieves!!!! They should be hung upside down by their toes in the town square and repeatedly hit in the balls with sledge hammers! That will let them know what it feels like to be the victim of a theft.

Best of luck getting a new one!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear your ride was stolen. I had one taken from me a long time ago and it's a miserable feeling. I hate thieves!!!! They should be hung upside down by their toes in the town square and repeatedly hit in the balls with sledge hammers! That will let them know what it feels like to be the victim of a theft.

Best of luck getting a new one!
Thanks mate...Yeah I keep thinking that the manufacturers should do more about bike theft.

At least have a Tracker as an official option like you get with performance cars.

I think the insurance industry will soon mandate this...Especially on sports bikes that I think are now averaging over £10,000.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm gutted for you mate its just a out the shitest feeling on the planet. The recent upturn in bike theft here is unacceptable & needs sorting out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm gutted for you mate its just a out the shitest feeling on the planet. The recent upturn in bike theft here is unacceptable & needs sorting out.
Thanks mate....

<Rant on>

Police don't even give chase anymore after some thieving scum got chased and crashed the stolen bike and died.

The chasing officer got into a lot of shit with the Independent Police Complaints Commission (may have even lost his job) and so now they are highly advised not to give chase if a scumbag throws off his helmet as it means they are not prepared to stop and the risk in chasing is deemed to high.

So the IPCC let off shitty cops where there is strong evidence that they have unlawfully killed someone, but a good cop trying to do his or her job gets strung out through the courts.

Even when a thieving scumbag gets caught, they get minimal penalties...You watch..People will start taking the law into their own hands because people can only take so much.

If you're from the US reading this and can't believe it...Then yeah...UK criminal justice system is quite shit.

</Rant off>

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thieving scum are out there :angryfire:, especially in the london area. Your bike will most likely end up in a parts bin so keep an eye on ebay
I really feel for you, but time's a great healer and your next bike could be even better :smile2: Just dont park it outside your workplace :|

PS dont even think about a Yamasukihonda :headshake:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Motorcycle Tracker Security Systems | Best Award Winning Trackers

Probably one of the best tracking devices in the U.K. Watch the testimonials. One guy had his r6 stolen 3 times and each time this company found it for him in only a short time. Thieves are among the worst. Should be lumped into rapist and murderer categories. I hope this never happens to you again. The silver lining is the bike was insured!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike..
As for a new bike.
My conclusion is the gen5 is it is great for track straight out of the box providing the rear spring is correct for your weight.
But straight out of the box the bmw has it beat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thieving scum are out there :angryfire:, especially in the london area. Your bike will most likely end up in a parts bin so keep an eye on ebay
I really feel for you, but time's a great healer and your next bike could be even better :smile2: Just dont park it outside your workplace :|

PS dont even think about a Yamasukihonda :headshake:
Cheers mate..Still not decided on what to get next but definitely won't be riding to work anymore and it'll most likely be track only.

Motorcycle Tracker Security Systems | Best Award Winning Trackers

Probably one of the best tracking devices in the U.K. Watch the testimonials. One guy had his r6 stolen 3 times and each time this company found it for him in only a short time. Thieves are among the worst. Should be lumped into rapist and murderer categories. I hope this never happens to you again. The silver lining is the bike was insured!
Thanks Obijack...I've used Tracker UK systems before and had a bike recovered after theft (Police also found 5 other bikes), but this kit seems like it has even better tech so I'll be investigating further.

It's a shame they don't have a one off payment unlike Tracker but still, subscription price is competitive.

Sorry to hear about your bike..
As for a new bike.
My conclusion is the gen5 is it is great for track straight out of the box providing the rear spring is correct for your weight.
But straight out of the box the bmw has it beat.
Cheers...Yeah I know you like that Beemer :biggrin:

I've just never really liked them myself and I think parts are cheaper with Kawasaki's.

I'd be throwing on the Bitubo shock if I got a G5 and I know of superstock racers that get away with the stock forks and a good shock to set lap times not far off full fat BSB bikes.

Still not decided...It's between G5 10R or a 2015 R1...I'm leaning towards the G5 due to better stock components than the R1 where it matters.

Hows your suspension improvements going with the shock?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
10Arghh,

What is your insurance coverage doing?
In UK, vehicle insurance is mandatory and there are three levels of cover.

Fully Comprehensive - Covers most losses and damage to third party. Generally includes a hire vehicle and legal cover.
TPFT (Third Party, Fire and Theft) - A step down from above. Covers third party damages, and loss of vehicle through theft or fire.
TPO (Third Party Only) - The minimum level you must have. Covers only damages to third party.

With this bike I was TPFT so theft is covered, but the insurance companies have a 'market value' estimation which they use which is often not realistic if you actually went to market and tried to buy a vehicle for that amount. So you have to fight with them until you get made an acceptable offer which is still going to be lower than what you paid for the vehicle.

There is a thing known as an excess which is a monetary amount applied to all insurance policies. In event of a claim, this figure is immediately deducted from the final value that is paid back to the claimant.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Cheers mate..Still not decided on what to get next but definitely won't be riding to work anymore and it'll most likely be track only.

Thanks Obijack...I've used Tracker UK systems before and had a bike recovered after theft (Police also found 5 other bikes), but this kit seems like it has even better tech so I'll be investigating further.

It's a shame they don't have a one off payment unlike Tracker but still, subscription price is competitive.

Cheers...Yeah I know you like that Beemer :biggrin:

I've just never really liked them myself and I think parts are cheaper with Kawasaki's.

I'd be throwing on the Bitubo shock if I got a G5 and I know of superstock racers that get away with the stock forks and a good shock to set lap times not far off full fat BSB bikes.

Still not decided...It's between G5 10R or a 2015 R1...I'm leaning towards the G5 due to better stock components than the R1 where it matters.

Hows your suspension improvements going with the shock?
Ìts funny coz im not that struck on the bmw either. Never really liked the way it looks.
But if your talking about riding experience then thats a whole different matter.
I do recommend everyone should try one. Its an eye opener.
The main reason i went with kawasaki was also coz parts are cheaper and more easy to find.
As for my rear shock ive found a setting that feels good after some adjusting. Just waiting for my new rims to arive so i can fit the bsb slicks i got and try it out on track

1 - 20 of 20 Posts