Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a freak about keeping things clean and Saturday I took the bike out of the garage to give it a wipe down as it was so nice only to find (sorry no pics) that my swingarm is rubbing against my Vortex Rearsets. I have heard of this before and was told it was due to rear swingarm flex on corners matched with load on the footpegs (remember I am a heavyweight ~240) but was wondering if anyone else has had that experience?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Do you know if it only for Vortex? I was thinking about getting some but not if this might happen.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know if it only for Vortex? I was thinking about getting some but not if this might happen.
I just talked to Vortex and he said that based on clearances it is a possibility that with swingard flex and my weight.
Please remember I am 240 pounds and when I ride I ride hard so the bike is being pushed - most guys who are riding that aggressively are considerably lighter than I am and I would imagine when desingning a product that there is a target rider weight - the 2008 ZX-10's suspension was designed for a 150 pound rider - wtf??? I eat that much in food a week).
Regarding your concern I wouldn't worry about it - I may look at moving them a little closer to the frame (they are all the way up and back right now) so they don't flex as much.

·
Registered
424 Posts
im a clydesdale as well and one of the first thigns i do is give to a suspension guy and increase the front and rear springs wiht a fluid change. Put a zip ty on yoru right front fort and see how far you bottom out. you be suprised!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Can you get us pics? I haven't heard of this before. Can you adjust the rearsets forward a notch and then be OK or? That would piss me off seeing that...

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im a clydesdale as well and one of the first thigns i do is give to a suspension guy and increase the front and rear springs wiht a fluid change. Put a zip ty on yoru right front fort and see how far you bottom out. you be suprised!
I've got zip ties on both legs (one for current setting, one for previous setting) and I have it with 75% of fork travel.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you get us pics? I haven't heard of this before. Can you adjust the rearsets forward a notch and then be OK or? That would piss me off seeing that...
I am going to have to move them a littl eI think. I did upset me though I believe it is not fault of the rearset rather my fata$$

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that seems like bull shit, they should clear no matter your weight, or did the fine print say (unless your 240 pounds)

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
I am a freak about keeping things clean and Saturday I took the bike out of the garage to give it a wipe down as it was so nice only to find (sorry no pics) that my swingarm is rubbing against my Vortex Rearsets. I have heard of this before and was told it was due to rear swingarm flex on corners matched with load on the footpegs (remember I am a heavyweight ~240) but was wondering if anyone else has had that experience?

Until I see pics...everyones clean is different. My bike is very clean and always get a hard time with the other riders about how clean my bike is and until there is beside mine they think there is clean.:heyyou:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
seriously man being a fellow heavyweight, 99.9% Positive you did not bend the 08 and up swingarm with your riding even with your weight. I would say more than anything it might just be the interference of the "quality vortex" rearsets, and a matter of suspension setting in the back.

I have the newer style swingarm on my 1st gen and that thing is Super beefy, and has handled my 255lbs plus gear no issues, not even a slight hint of flex to the thing.
check you rear sag, and look at the heal guard as someone mentioned, might just need a washer pending where you have the rearsets.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
seriously man being a fellow heavyweight, 99.9% Positive you did not bend the 08 and up swingarm with your riding even with your weight. I would say more than anything it might just be the interference of the "quality vortex" rearsets, and a matter of suspension setting in the back.

I have the newer style swingarm on my 1st gen and that thing is Super beefy, and has handled my 255lbs plus gear no issues, not even a slight hint of flex to the thing.
check you rear sag, and look at the heal guard as someone mentioned, might just need a washer pending where you have the rearsets.
Good point - I will take another look while off this week and see what is going on.
I may need the washer as it seems it would need about that much clearance.
I took a quick lok last night and on the right side it seems that it is the clamp on the brake line that has rubbed, you can see it in this old pic (this one is for you red)

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yep you are correct its not the rearset it's the rear brake line holder. Rkaki no more close up shots unstill you have installed some real swingarm spools.... You do get a B+ for trying....

·
13,309 Posts
Yep you are correct its not the rearset it's the rear brake line holder. Rkaki no more close up shots unstill you have installed some real swingarm spools.... You do get a B+ for trying....

Darn you got to it before me....maybe santa will bring him a set of spools!:lol:

As far as clean, its good, but Im sure mine is still cleaner:heyyou:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Darn you got to it before me....maybe santa will bring him a set of spools!:lol:

As far as clean, its good, but Im sure mine is still cleaner:heyyou:
EZ
I don't leave the spools/bolts in - iI have ridden with guys who have them come flying out and through radiators etc even if they have been installed using lock tight so they come out before riding.

Red - I am quite sure I have you beat I just don't have those fancy flames :crackup:

·
13,309 Posts
EZ
I

Red - I am quite sure I have you beat I just don't have those fancy flames :crackup:

:crybaby2::crybaby2:....Boo hoo dont be a HATER!!!!!:heyyou: :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Maybe your next bike they will let you get some flames and spools:nana:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
There is also a thread that was put up for issues with paint rubbing off the 04/05 swingarm due to riding boots. Not everyone had the issue but some did due to foot placement. Someone ordered some of the "frame protectors" and cut to fit. It looked pretty good. Just a tip in case you run into that problem.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I had the same issue but mine were gouging bad, I just covered it up for now. Powdercoat later

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts