Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And it sure seemed like there was alot of crud built up in the velocity stacks and surrounding area. :eyecrazy:

Anyone else seen this? the picture shows one of many alcohol wipes i used to clean her up.

I inspected the airbox and it seems like everthing is sealed fine. :sad:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
mine was dirty too this is an after shot there was major debris in there

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah it's pretty normal depending where you ride.I put some k&n sealing grease around my filter when i put it back in last time after cleaning it.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
KaTooM said:
Cool I was worried I had some sort of leak, nice stacks by the way!
thanx KaTooM yea seemed a bit more stuff in there than shoulda been but I do live in a high debris environment

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
well a tip from ford. i just took my ford f-250 in and they showed me similar shit in my throtle bodies. they cleaned it and now i get better gass milage....?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
btw it has some tecky name... it was called uhhhh carbon,,, uhh something or another

·
Registered
451 Posts
I put a thin layer of wheel bearing grease on the floor of the air box
by the throtle bodies and where the air tubes connect, this way if the dirt comes in it will get caught by the grease instead of going down the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
885 Posts
oneradten said:
why stock filter?
If the stock filter let that much crap get past it, I'd hate to see what a foam filter would let in. You'd probably find pieces of a small commuter plane in the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
KaTooM said:
And it sure seemed like there was alot of crud built up in the velocity stacks and surrounding area. :eyecrazy:

Anyone else seen this? the picture shows one of many alcohol wipes i used to clean her up.

I inspected the airbox and it seems like everthing is sealed fine. :sad:
Wow, KaTooM! Where you been riding? Sure you didn't mistake the 10 for the KTM? Looks like it's been quite a while since the last filter change.

I'm a freak about a clean filter. Only 8k miles on this bike and I've been through 3 filters, already.

And if the OEM let that much through, imagine how bad it would be with an aftermarket filter. :eyecrazy:

:idea: Might want to try some filter grease from your dirtbike kit to seal around the perimeter of the filter. It could possibly help.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Do you still have your crank case venting to your air box? Do you wheelie? Is your oil getting old? How dirty was the filter?

All these things can contribute (especially combined) to the residue you found. I'm running a BMC race, with a sealed airbox (crank vented elsewhere) and mine stays spotless. ...no matter how much people keep claiming the BMC race lets trash through.

One more thing to check, i noticed once that even though all screws to the airbox cover were tight, there was a bend (gap) in between the cover and the box. I reseated the cover and tightened the screws back down working aroung the cover and it sealed flat.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
THE ICE MAN said:
I put a thin layer of wheel bearing grease on the floor of the air box
by the throtle bodies and where the air tubes connect, this way if the dirt comes in it will get caught by the grease instead of going down the throttle bodies.
me likes this idea. :thumbsup:

BD

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies, seems like I just changed that filter. maybe 4 track days and a few canyon rides. I change my oil every 4 track days as well. I still have the case vent, Can someone post a picture of how you bypassed it.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Its from the crankcase vent. Nothing to worry about. Positive crankcase pressure (vacuum) is needed to keep the rings tight against the cylinder wall. I'll leave mine where its at.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did you have debris on all of the TB butterflies? I had a considerable amount on the two outside ones and almost none on the two inner ones. This led me to believe that my stock filter was not sealing well around the left and right sides. My stock filter was a little dirty but not dirty enough to make me consider changing it.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They were all equally dirty!

I think I will buy an after market filter and clean it and the box every other trackday.

Now the search begins which one hmmmm......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts