Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided recently to build me a fully done head with drop in pistons and spray or a 3 mil setup for my zx10 and today i decided to pull the motor and head off the bike. Well i was shocked to find my retainer was almost completely broke and the valve was about to drop. Luckly this was a drag only bike but then again i dont think it would have made one more pass. I thank god the valve didnt drop you guy just dont know how lucky i was!!!

this is what i was working with

·
Registered
169 Posts
So i decided recently to build me a fully done head with drop in pistons and spray or a 3 mil setup for my zx10 and today i decided to pull the motor and head off the bike. Well i was shocked to find my retainer was almost completely broke and the valve was about to drop. Luckly this was a drag only bike but then again i dont think it would have made one more pass. I thank god the valve didnt drop you guy just dont know how lucky i was!!!

this is what i was working with

The retainers are those half moons in the middle. They are in place.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats that broken then? looks like the retainer to me judging from what ive collected over the years working on cars

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
The retainers are those half moons in the middle. They are in place.
Those are "collets" not retainers.

Yeah looks like you had a bad set of retainers.....

Carpenter sells just their titanium retainers and you can get them threw schnitz... I think they were between 1-200 bucks for the set?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Ahhh yessss....I had the same problem with my red 05 10r...what a bummer

Quite a few people have caught this very same problem on here. I suspect there might be quite a few here that are riding their bikes with broken collets and not know it also.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Ahhh yessss....I had the same problem with my red 05 10r...what a bummer

Quite a few people have caught this very same problem on here. I suspect there might be quite a few here that are riding their bikes with broken collets and not know it also.
agree, but at the same time no need for anyone to panic when I did my valve adjustment with over 30kmiles and many drag strip runs mine looked liked brand new. I would like to get the Ti Retainers for peace of mind though I have a spare head and trying to get parts to build one just encase so it's a ready to go swap if that ever happens. :idea::mrgreen:

bloo

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
Im always nervous when I read this. I may do the ti ones when its valve adjustment time.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I pull mine down every winter and check the clearances retainers and collets. As of last winter so far so good (on the collets that is, had to reshim last time for the clearances). I prolly need to put some new bolts in my cam retainers as many times as I have torqued em back down.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
im with u senac, those are busted valve spring retainers, amazing it held up with about 40% intact, retainer didnt pull through and kept the keepers in place to avoid dropping a valve.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im with u senac, those are busted valve spring retainers, amazing it held up with about 40% intact, retainer didnt pull through and kept the keepers in place to avoid dropping a valve.
at least someone agrees lol i knew i wasnt crazy ive built 800hp honda motors from ground up and other misc v8's this is my first time fooling with a bike but it seem pretty easy going...ill be taking the motor to cooper performance for the head work and to send the block off to get bored 2mm and replated sometime soon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts