Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I bought a 2000 Mustang, V6 Coupe. I have a lot of ideas and I know how innovative a lot of you guys can be so I figured I'd get your opinions as well...

So far, all I've done is add an aftermarket intake, subwoofer, and a dual exhaust. My next two moves are to install race seats and remove the rear seats but I'm kind of stuck on what to do with the rearseat removal. I don't want it to look stripped so I was thinking adding carpet and a glass window maybe? Also, I've been thinking about putting a turbo on it to make it a v8 killer but I'm unsure considering the motor already has 110k. Good idea? Bad idea? Car is stick shift btw. (I sold my 10r to get it but I'll buy another really soon)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have the 3.8 l v6, be careful. It had a history of blowing head gaskets. MY 95 Windstar did it twice. Never, ever, let it run low on coolant or over heat! Not a hard fix but a pita.

Otherwise its a great little engine. Was available with a blower in the Tbird Super coupe, and has some aftermarket support.

Go to Stangnet or other Mustang forums. There should be rear seat delete covers available. I have 3 running Foxes and an 08 Bullitt.

·
Registered
569 Posts
you are kidding right? You want to modify a v6 mustang from 2000? You do know that mustang's actually handle good now and are quick. That piece of shit, you need to keep it stock and hope you can drive it for a couple of years without having to replace a bunch of stuff. I hope i was blunt enough to keep you from wasting money on that turd. If you want a mustang to go fast, go buy a 2011+ coyote V8 gt.

·
Registered
683 Posts
you are kidding right? You want to modify a v6 mustang from 2000? You do know that mustang's actually handle good now and are quick. That piece of shit, you need to keep it stock and hope you can drive it for a couple of years without having to replace a bunch of stuff. I hope i was blunt enough to keep you from wasting money on that turd. If you want a mustang to go fast, go buy a 2011+ coyote V8 gt.
Yep you were blunt, but spoke truth. To the op, it will never be fast unless you dump a lot of money in it.

I would say do more cosmetic stuff because that is where you are most likely to get any kind of return on the investment.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
lol how ironic, I just got a 96' Cobra last week.
I used to have the 95 with the 5.0 and traded it due to me needing something more reliable. That was almost ten years ago.
We found this cobra to be just about mechanically perfect but just needs some TLC. I'm about to head to the junkyard to grab some parts for it now lol. Good luck with your stang! These are easy cars to work on and have a ton of parts out there available for them, hell you may want to look into the Coyote Engine swap! I saw one on youtube in a 2000 body and that thing was insane!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
This X1000

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
So what he bought what some consider a turd. To each their own. I have two turd cars. A 97 Trans Am with an LT1 and a 97 Formula with an LT1. My T/A is still needing a rebuild, but my wife and I had our first date in it and it has sentimental value so I want to keep it. So, one day I'll rebuild the POS motor in it. The Formula I dumped 3k into it after the transmission and opti failed so I am probably keeping that till it dies again. I'll never get my money out of it selling it even though I am trying.

Good luck with your pony. It will bring you joy and headaches just like my turds.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Would hate to see what would happen to that otherwise bone stock V6 from 2000 with 110K while being flogged by a turbo. Money pit? Sorry dude, i am biased as a bowtie guy lol. I think it hurts more to hear what you sold to get it. Dude!

Im still here for ya though man!

Edit - p.s. As a bowtie guy my last POS was a 2000 Blazer ZR2 but she was only shitty from being rode hard and put up wet. Not that they are anything great in decent shape. I never tried to mod it though either. Flowmaster muff and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I kinda skimmed the Original Post, I don't know if I would have gotten rid of my gen 1 for a V6 lol but like I said earlier, you have tons of options when it comes to modding. If you're good with motors wrenching on these cars aren't too bad and will definitely keep you busy with all the things you can do to them.

And you don't necessarily need one of those new mustangs to go fast. If you have deep pockets then yeah it's no problem, but these older stangs can be made to go pretty quick even if you don't have deep pockets.

·
Registered
526 Posts
So what he bought what some consider a turd. To each their own. I have two turd cars. A 97 Trans Am with an LT1 and a 97 Formula with an LT1. My T/A is still needing a rebuild, but my wife and I had our first date in it and it has sentimental value so I want to keep it. So, one day I'll rebuild the POS motor in it. The Formula I dumped 3k into it after the transmission and opti failed so I am probably keeping that till it dies again. I'll never get my money out of it selling it even though I am trying.

Good luck with your pony. It will bring you joy and headaches just like my turds.
I remember my LT1 days awesome! Love those fbody s

If you need to rebuild, look into LS1 or better. Can be had for 2k with trans.

I had thousands into the car. Sold it for 5k in 2006. It was a 96 z28

·
Registered
526 Posts
Alright, I bought a 2000 Mustang, V6 Coupe. I have a lot of ideas and I know how innovative a lot of you guys can be so I figured I'd get your opinions as well...

So far, all I've done is add an aftermarket intake, subwoofer, and a dual exhaust. My next two moves are to install race seats and remove the rear seats but I'm kind of stuck on what to do with the rearseat removal. I don't want it to look stripped so I was thinking adding carpet and a glass window maybe? Also, I've been thinking about putting a turbo on it to make it a v8 killer but I'm unsure considering the motor already has 110k. Good idea? Bad idea? Car is stick shift btw. (I sold my 10r to get it but I'll buy another really soon)
You crazy! That's all I got.

Sell it, use money to get at least 1999 GT. Mod from there. I wouldn't spend a dime on v6. Any i4 Jap will do circles around you. That dual exhaust on v6 kills power. Been through that and back on my first Camaro, which was a v6 mistake

Gluck.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
I remember my LT1 days awesome! Love those fbody s

If you need to rebuild, look into LS1 or better. Can be had for 2k with trans.

I had thousands into the car. Sold it for 5k in 2006. It was a 96 z28
I looked into the LS1 swap. If I had enough funds to do it right I would. For now I'm just saving my pennies to get the parts I need to do a basic LT1 rebuild on the T/A. I redid the opti, water pump, front seals, oil pan, tranny and removed the smog on the Formula and its a fun fast dependable ride now. For the most part....can't seem to get the cooling system to bleed properly and that causes some cooling issues from time to time. Otherwise its a hoot to drive!

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
What are your guys though on a 99 Mustang GT 40th, anniversary (automatic)? 167K miles ..it was a college girl car..Looking at it as a daily driver..

·
Registered
526 Posts
What are your guys though on a 99 Mustang GT 40th, anniversary (automatic)? 167K miles ..it was a college girl car..Looking at it as a daily driver..
Lots of miles. Maybe looking at a rebuild soon. Although I'd just buy a junk motor for a couple of thou and throw it in there.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I looked into the LS1 swap. If I had enough funds to do it right I would. For now I'm just saving my pennies to get the parts I need to do a basic LT1 rebuild on the T/A. I redid the opti, water pump, front seals, oil pan, tranny and removed the smog on the Formula and its a fun fast dependable ride now. For the most part....can't seem to get the cooling system to bleed properly and that causes some cooling issues from time to time. Otherwise its a hoot to drive!
I did a full swap on mine back in the day. It was originally a LT1 with Auto. I took it out, got another LT1 and put a LT4 hot cam kit before putting it back in. At the same time changed it to manual. What a project, but worked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts