Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured this weekend would suck for riding, with all the yahoos out camping and boating and clogging up my canyons in their RVs, but since the girlfriend is out of town and I had shit else to do today, I figured I'd brave the traffic and head west on the ZX for the afternoon.

I ended up doing about 120 miles of solid twisties, and had a blast...for the most part. For those of you familiar with CO, I headed west out of Fort Collins, over Horsetooth reservoir to Masonville, south to US34, west to Glen Haven and then on to Estes Park and back. I rode the south part of US34 a few times, those corners are just way too fun to do once! :smile:

On my way back over the reservoir, I happened upon two nice deputies chilling behind a group of cars off the side of the road. I didn't see them until I passed them, and according to their radar, I was headed home at 72mph in a 40mph zone. Shit.

We had a nice chat, and they politely informed me that County Road 38 is not my private racetrack (which it clearly is). We debated the legality of exhaust cans that have the words "Race Use Only" engraved on them (thanks for that, Scorpion), spoke about my clearly-visible license plate, and much to my surprise, I walked away with a warning, and a promise to incarcerate if we crossed paths again. They could have thrown the book at me, so I was very happy to limp home at 35mph...but not before snapping a quick pic of my would-be assailants... :)

Here's a few pics I gathered along the way...anyone else get out today?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Beautiful pics! I'm assuming it's fair to say there are some kind of "Beware of Falling Rocks" signs in that area...geez. Looks like some twisty fun for sure.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Nice looks like a fun track, I mean raod...I only saw 1 cop today and that was the one in your pic. Went on a nice 220 mile ride.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice track! I wudn't dreamt any ZX riders dat ride according to the 30mph limit...it shud've been set at least 60mph :)

What's yr average speed goin' round 'em twisties?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I rode to Glen Haven and back today. Waaay too many friggin tourist to have much fun. Not sure if I've ever seen as many motor homes and pull behind trailers as I did today. Still a nice day to be out though.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wasted Sat. and Sun. bein' 'sick' (cough, cough, sniff) but got up early and almost felt human...and it was early enough to hit the road...The roads were fairly clear until around noon..then the idiots came out, in force.....Managed a 'south of LAX to Malibu/double loop Kaan Dr/Topanga Cyn, then headed south for a similar double loop around Palos Verdes (LA Coastal stuff) was nice to get some sunshine :) While taking a shortcut from Lincoln back to PCH on the Westchester Parkway, found me a nice motorcop, chillin' in the shade of a tree...fortunately I'd resolved to make this ride 'speed limits' only (lol)....and passed him with a courtesy nod of the helmet (on other days, it could have been double the limit - but being a 'holiday' I was just 'cruisin' :) Saw several bikes pulled over from Malibu to PV and back....I guess the
'youngsters' haven't figured this out yet....hmmm......oh well, they'll learn....( Every once in a while, it's good to be 'old'. hehe)
Hope y'all had a great weekend!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the
'youngsters' haven't figured this out yet....hmmm......oh well, they'll learn....( Every once in a while, it's good to be 'old'. hehe)
Hope y'all had a great weekend!

Thanks! I think being 'old' may have had something to do with it...I'm sure they were expecting some squid, not a responsible adult with full gear and insurance.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
what i'd do to get roads like that in southern new york...and what i'd also give to have police that don't attempt to rape on every traffic stop!

Great pics!

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Your track makes me jealous.

·
Registered
411 Posts
We had a nice chat, and they politely informed me that County Road 38 is not my private racetrack (which it clearly is). We debated the legality of exhaust cans that have the words "Race Use Only" engraved on them (thanks for that, Scorpion),
:crackup:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that looks like a real fun road, it looks like you can carry a lot of speed through the sweepers

·
Registered
268 Posts
That canyon with the Little Thompson river and Devils gulch is awesome. I lived there when I was a kid back when it flooded and took out that huge pipe that was near the bottom of the canyon. I was also back up there when I got married. Those roads are awesome, I wish I lived there again.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
CB160 and VolksDragon
Thanks! I think being 'old' may have had something to do with it...I'm sure they were expecting some squid, not a responsible adult with full gear and insurance

Nice pictures and once again I love how A to B the older guys are!! Once again age has nothing to do with being a squid cause I see more 40+ year old squids then any other riders out there(usually the older guys with all this experience are more of the squids then anyone I know, due to the fact they tend to think they know everything)...People need to look past age and base it around rider skill!! I'm young and rip it up on track days and most people would think I have been riding for years, oh wait I have LOL and I'm young. But I get where the nexted post will be going, well the young guys tend to be more balls to the wall. It comes with learning your lessons and knowing your boundaries and always wanting to learn!! You two members are way to simple minded just my .02 cents...Just voicing my opinion after reading this thread!!!

But I wish I had a place like this to ride down here in south florida!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts