Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '12 with 4,500 miles and i'm the 2nd owner. At about 6,500 I started it up and exhaust was smokey. Like when you crash and start it back up and it smokes. Took it back to the dealership and they couldn't replicate the smoke. Said there was a lil oil in the airbox but other than that it was fine. Yesterday it did it again for a minute or two. It now has 9,200 miles. Anybody else have this same issue. Should I worry?

·
Registered
6 Posts
when j bought my 15 it did this around 4500 to 6000 miles too. I was scared but it kinda just went away... or I dont notice it and my oil changes seem normal .

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,727 Posts
You need to provide more info. Is the bike stored inside or out? What mods have been done to it? What color is the smoke? What does it smell like?

Are you sure it's "smoke" and not just water vapor? When the exhaust heats up, it causes the water condensation in the exhaust to come out as steam. On a cold, humid morning, same thing. It's like the contrail of an airplane high up in the atmosphere that leaves a trail behind it. It's not smoke. And it's normal.

If it's burning off coolant or oil, the color of the smoke changes and smells different. Until we know the more detailed conditions, it's too hard to tell you anything other than possibly to take the entire motor out of the frame, strip every part off of it, and check everything. Or replace the motor. :badteeth:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to provide more info. Is the bike stored inside or out? What mods have been done to it? What color is the smoke? What does it smell like?

Are you sure it's "smoke" and not just water vapor? When the exhaust heats up, it causes the water condensation in the exhaust to come out as steam. On a cold, humid morning, same thing. It's like the contrail of an airplane high up in the atmosphere that leaves a trail behind it. It's not smoke. And it's normal.

If it's burning off coolant or oil, the color of the smoke changes and smells different. Until we know the more detailed conditions, it's too hard to tell you anything other than possibly to take the entire motor out of the frame, strip every part off of it, and check everything. Or replace the motor. <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/badteeth.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Badteeth" >:)</a>
No it's white smoke and it has a slight oily smell to it. Im in CA so the weather has been 80's and 90's. It did it once before reflash with a mid pipe and stock can and after reflash. Always kept in a garage

1 - 4 of 4 Posts