Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually tuned their bike before block offs, and then again after? I know they are supposed to help get a better A/F ratio reading but is it worth the $25 +/- dollars (i know you can do it yourself but id prefer a cleaner install) and the pain in the ass to install them?

Basically any block off reviews and is it worth it?

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
never on a dyno......but after I installed them,......the bike sounded a lil deeper and throaty.....also eliminated backfire on decel.........for me it was worth the 25bucks

·
Registered
74 Posts
They are cake to install dude. I just installed Ivans plates on my '08 2 weeks ago. A&R and Muzzy also make some decent ones. I took some pics I can post when I get home. I run a full exhaust and the block-off plates kill the backfire on decel like bodymanruss said. I didn't dyno the bike before and after the plate install, but being that this system injects exhaust gas into the airbox, getting rid of that can only be a good thing.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are cake to install dude. I just installed Ivans plates on my '08 2 weeks ago. A&R and Muzzy also make some decent ones. I took some pics I can post when I get home. I run a full exhaust and the block-off plates kill the backfire on decel like bodymanruss said. I didn't dyno the bike before and after the plate install, but being that this system injects exhaust gas into the airbox, getting rid of that can only be a good thing.
sounds like it was worth it then. I have the Akra SS full system and i get the occasional pop on decel, but i was considering getting the block offs before going in for the custom map. saw some A&Rs on ebay for $25 and some no names for $15. ill prob pick some up. thanks guys

·
Registered
74 Posts
Smog plates removal

OK here are some pics. This is on my '08 10r but yours shouldn't be much different.

First pic is with the "Air Induction System" installed. 2nd pic is the removed AIS on the bottom and the block-off plates on top. 3rd pic is the block-off plates installed.

One note: I actually had to keep the AIS motor plugged into the harness to keep the FI light from coming on, but this might only be an 08 thing. I just removed all the hoses and tucked it away and secured it down with zip ties.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
You sure 'bout that?
Sorry lenshead... I just re-read my post and my statement that the AIS injects exhaust into the airbox is all backwards. The AIS injects air into the exhaust. Specifically, it injects air into the exhaust manifold at the exhaust valve. This allows any unburned fuel exiting the engine with the exhaust to burn and decreases emissions. That "popping" you hear on decel if you don't remove the AIS and have a full exhaust is that excess fuel igniting. If anyone has more info please share, this is my understanding.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry lenshead... I just re-read my post and my statement that the AIS injects exhaust into the airbox is all backwards. The AIS injects air into the exhaust. Specifically, it injects air into the exhaust manifold at the exhaust valve. This allows any unburned fuel exiting the engine with the exhaust to burn and decreases emissions. That "popping" you hear on decel if you don't remove the AIS and have a full exhaust is that excess fuel igniting. If anyone has more info please share, this is my understanding.
From what ive read, that sounds exactly right. guess i quickly skimmed over your initial post. this air going into the exhaust manifold also alters your baseline A/F ratio when getting a custom tune. so by eliminating this with the block offs your baseline A/F ratio will be more accurate, hence a better final A/F ratio once tuned. Just wish i could see some before and afters on the dyno. I dont blame anyone for wanting a waste a few hundred just to see, but it would be nice.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
To tune a bike on the Dyno you will need to block the airflow somehow. Tuners can use clamps to do it but then they have to be able to clamp the hoses that come out of the valve cover. So why not just get the block off plates and eliminate that stuff?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not sure here, but if air injection only happen on decel, how would that affect dyno tuning?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quick question for the guy postin late on a thread :lol:

I have stock head pipe with 2 bros C/F duals on it. Would it help the same as it would if I had a full system? And also I change exhaust before a trackday back to stock so I don't mess my 2bros up if I crash. Will it act any different than before running block off plates with completely stock exhaust???

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
ebay it

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't think it only happens on decel.. that is just when you can actually hear it.
It only happens on Decel. The AIS only operates on a closed throttle. That's why the reed valves that are set into the top of the valve cover are one way valves. When you are on throttle, the internal pressure closes the reed valves so as to not allow exhaust gases to enter into the airbox. Once off throttle, there is no internal pressure to stop the induction of air into the exhaust system to ignite any unburnt gases.

·
Registered
183 Posts
venom, did you just remove the hoses and leave the harness plugged in? i have an 07, just removed the secondaries and installed plates. tomarrow the pcIII,tre, and nitrous are getting hooked up. can anyone chime in on if i need to leave the valve plugged in to not throw a code? lol this was a fun one, big hands small area

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Im a lil lost here...These reed valves that someone mentioned...Do they get removed as well or are they a part of the block off plate..I was just thinking on takeing off the tuming and loading up some epoxy to perm block the holes in the plates..
I got a full beet system custom mapped and a gi pro /tre,will i have to remap with the blocks off and secondarys done??

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Just thought of somethin..Seeing im in canada and we dont have same emission laws as the usa,do i even have all the same goddies...I never even thought to look the last time i had tank off..I doubt it will make a difference to the question but i didnt even have the exhaust sensor(o2 sensor i think it is) on my exhaust pipe...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Do it. The mod is simple... I made my own plates. Install takes about 1hr +/-.

Haven't had my bike tuned yet, so I can't comment on that.. But the AIS is esentially worthless unless you are a tree hugger.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts