Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gen2 has always been tighter than a drum. No leaks. Changed the front sprocket the other day. Took it off with an electric impact driver. Put the nut back on and torqued by hand. The only other semi-violent act that occurred in this operation was the tapping of the washer edge down.

Anyway, now I have a slow drip falling on the floor somewhere an inch or two behind the sprocket area. Like a small drop every day or two. What could I have done here? Is there a seal on the shaft that I could have buggered up? It was pretty cold in the garage when I was working on it. Not sure if that matters.

Just pretty bummed, because, like I said, thing has always been tight and all I did was change a damn sprocket, now I have a drip.

Any ideas here?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ive changed them on dirt bikes and it was no big deal, really. I believe the seal was less than 10.00.

The impact gun on, countershaft sprockets, is not my favorite tool. Then again, I'm sure you were screwed, just like I was. I can almost guarantee Andre The Giant tightened mine, at the factory, before the bike was sold. Then he did the oil filter....

Check that shaft for excessive play. Its not a real common thing to have leaking and it makes me wonder if something was damaged when you used the impact gun.

All I did, for mine, some seal lube, then slid the new one in place.

·
Registered
300 Posts
no, shift shaft seal. larger one, 92049. look at 10 transmission on ebay, countershaft seal aparrent. like u i remove engine sprockets with electric impact. i did have one on a bike that leaked a little oil after changing sprockets. couple of drops on floor for just a few days, then stopped. unsure, maybe impact shocked seal allowing oil to seep by loosening. that seal has a spring around the sprocket spacer opening to maintain tension against spacer to be oil tight. it can be replaced if careful without splitting cases with sprocket/spacer removed. it's basically metal fabbed/rubber coated. can be drilled with small hole to side and jerked out, good news is its got a slight taper that helps it go back in cases. i've done couple over the years. me, i'd give it a day or 2.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, shift shaft seal. larger one, 92049. look at 10 transmission on ebay, countershaft seal aparrent. like u i remove engine sprockets with electric impact. i did have one on a bike that leaked a little oil after changing sprockets. couple of drops on floor for just a few days, then stopped. unsure, maybe impact shocked seal allowing oil to seep by loosening. that seal has a spring around the sprocket spacer opening to maintain tension against spacer to be oil tight. it can be replaced if careful without splitting cases with sprocket/spacer removed. it's basically metal fabbed/rubber coated. can be drilled with small hole to side and jerked out, good news is its got a slight taper that helps it go back in cases. i've done couple over the years. me, i'd give it a day or 2.
Kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe take it out for a little shake down. See what happens. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe take it out for a little shake down. See what happens. Thanks for the advice.
You wont get that seal out without damaging mate, if your gonna pull it you need a new one to fit with a litle gasket sealent to make sure.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let the bike run for a little while last night. Temp got up to about 170 deg F. No drip this morning. Will check again when I get home from work.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,982 Posts
Good to hear Evil. I think the vibration from the impact wrench just allowed the oil to seep past that seal lip a bit. Gaz already mentioned all that, but that was my initial thought to. A couple of heating cycles on it and movement on the parts will hopefully dry it up and get it back to normal. Don't stress just yet, but keep and eye on it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One heat cycle about 16 hours ago, and no more drips. I'm far less worried at this point.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts