Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I had the chance to dyno the 10 again today and decided why not compare the three slip-ons......

2005 model, 3300 miles, K&N filter and 2 pulls on the dyno with each pipe back to back to back.

1-Akrapovic Carbon
2-OEM Stock
3-Hindle Titanium high-mount

I have been running the Akra can on my 10 for about 2300 miles now and I have no complaints. Nice sound, very light and very nice quality pipe.

The Stock can.....well its the stock can. Heavy, VERY quiet, catalytic converter...etc.

As for the Hindle high-mount... a friend of mine, Tom aka "theblue10", was nice enough to let me borrow his to compare against my Akrapovic.

I rode home with the Hindle installed and couldn't believe how quiet it was compared to my Akra. Not much louder than the stock pipe... almost too quiet for me.
I did notice my heal touching the mid pipe from time to time but not really a big deal.
The Ti Hindle seemed to weigh about the same as my Carbon Akrapovic, although I never actually put them on a scale to see. Overall a nice peice and it really tucks up under the tail too.

As for how they each actually did on the dyno....
1-Stock OEM...148.8
2-Akrapovic ...151.5
3-Hindle ........151.5

So there it is.....same bike, same dyno, same day, back to back. No surprise really. Just figured I would post this up for you guys to see. If you go with just a slip-on and no tuning on this bike it really IS just a matter of choosing what looks best and sounds best to you.

Randy "thegreen10"

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Great numbers man and thanks for the comparison...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Is that Hindle the supersport or stealth model? I had the supersport on my
03 636 & the thing was loud, (but a good loud) if that makes sense?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Surprised that just slipon would give almost 3hp. Gr8 i love my akra slipon. Couldnt put anything else on as im patriot hehe ( i live 100miles from factory )

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Thanks for posting this comparison. Good to know my Akra is doing more than just looking pretty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okie said:
Is that Hindle the supersport or stealth model? I had the supersport on my
03 636 & the thing was loud, (but a good loud) if that makes sense?
Hmmm good question. The Hindle was on the bike when he bought it but my guess would be the stealth considering how quiet it was. I don't remember seeing a part # anywhere but I'll see what I can find out.

Newbusa said:
So i wonder if adding a power comander would change those # .I am assuming that those #were wihout a pc3?
Yes these #s are without a pc3 (no tuning). Theres always more power to be found with tuning but I wouldn't expect too much more from just a slip-on.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Randy said:
Yes these #s are without a pc3 (no tuning). Theres always more power to be found with tuning but I wouldn't expect too much more from just a slip-on.
We have seen gains of up to 8 hp around here with a slip on, PC3 and custom map.

I think BD even saw comparable gains with those mods.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow,8hp!That is pretty dam good for a slipon and pc3 with map.So what kind of gains are you guys realizing from a full system with mapping?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I love reading these back to back comparisons so thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
"If you go with just a slip-on and no tuning on this bike it really IS just a matter of choosing what looks best and sounds best to you."

This holds true for those two pipes and stock at least. Dunno about EVERY slip on.
Here's a ZX10 I've done with the Arata slip on and mapping.

and then the full system. Different bike, but same day stock vs Full and mapped.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
good info thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Birdman said:
This holds true for those two pipes and stock at least. Dunno about EVERY slip on.
Here's a ZX10 I've done with the Arata slip on and mapping.
Honestly, I really thought one would do a little better than the other (Akra vs. Hindle) even without a pc3. Now with a custom map for each pipe, I wouldn't be surprised if one performed a little better than the other.

Looks like you got some good #s out of the Arata with a custom map. That is stock vs. Arata slip-on + mapping correct? Even though its not the same bike, how much of an increase did you see before tuning? Just to compare.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Before doing any work, the bike originally dynoed in at 150 SAE hp. After gasket, degreed cams, full akro and custom map it gained 16 hp.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
From memory on the slip on, the mapping didn't give it much up top if anything, it was more of a help through the midrange, and it drove harder from lower down on the road. The system I think was 162-164 before the mapping. But consider the 14h.p gain from JUST the systemn and mapping with the graph above and I think it speaks for itself. lol

BTW, Bobster, your bike is pretty damn lean up top. and would probably gain a little more if it was right. 14:1 is too lean especially for the dyno. On the road it'd be worse up at that rpm etc. Just so you know.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Birdman said:
From memory on the slip on, the mapping didn't give it much up top if anything, it was more of a help through the midrange, and it drove harder from lower down on the road. The system I think was 162-164 before the mapping. But consider the 14h.p gain from JUST the systemn and mapping with the graph above and I think it speaks for itself. lol

BTW, Bobster, your bike is pretty damn lean up top. and would probably gain a little more if it was right. 14:1 is too lean especially for the dyno. On the road it'd be worse up at that rpm etc. Just so you know.
Yea im aware of that. I questioned him about it and he said it lost power when he went richer. Of course he wouldnt let me watch anything cause of insurance regulations. :rolleyes: ....I dont know them personally so i had no pull to get in and watch...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts