Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a slip on that does not hurt the low and mid range? I don't need any more power in the upper mid and top end rpm range. I would like to get a little more hp below 8,000 rpms. Area P shows a bump in hp with their can in this area, but we all know how advertising can be. It may be the stock can and valve is the best set up.
I did drop a tooth on the front which helped the performance a good bit. There is no more slipping the clutch to get started.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have an Area P slip-on and I love it. Great quality and sound. I had mine made at 12" long, 2.5" core, and a traditional turn down tip. Between that, a k&n filter and a PC3 it really woke the bike up.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have an Area P slip-on and I love it. Great quality and sound. I had mine made at 12" long, 2.5" core, and a traditional turn down tip. Between that, a k&n filter and a PC3 it really woke the bike up.
+1 Add secondary removal, smog block, and gears (-1/+2) and you'll wake up what you thought you already woke up :eek2:

Edit - For this to work, you HAVE to tune it (i.e., add more fuel) to the lean mix caused by the secondary removal, smog block, pipe, and K&N, otherwise, these mods are basically useless.

·
Registered
874 Posts
+1 Add secondary removal, smog block, and gears (-1/+2) and you'll wake up what you thought you already woke up :eek2:

Edit - For this to work, you HAVE to tune it (i.e., add more fuel) to the lean mix caused by the secondary removal, smog block, pipe, and K&N, otherwise, these mods are basically useless.
I plan on the secondary removal and smog block. Just waiting till I get everything else I need to change before having it tuned by Ivan. Also doing Ivan's TRE and a PC Ign module. For the gears I'm torn bc of all the debate on here on how the 08-10 have the best gearing from the factory... So to start I'm doing a 520 conversion with a +1 in the rear just to help 1st gear a bit w/o taking away from the rest, and I can always switch out the front for cheap if I choose to change it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
So I am thinking a slip on just adds noise. Nothing else.
Yes, you will get more hp, but it will be in the mid to upper range when the air is flowing hard through the pipe.

Some slip-ons remove the "boom box" (a 8 pound sound reducing, air restricting turd, just after the cats), while other slip-ons leave the boom box in tact. If you get the one that removes the boom box, there's even more power and with a Gen3 that's about 18lbs of weight reduction and better air flow.

·
Registered
874 Posts
So I am thinking a slip on just adds noise. Nothing else.
A lot of the reason for a slip on is for a change in sound. But there are performance gains to a slip on due to its less restrictive flow. Also depending on the slip on you choose you can save a decent amount of wieght off the bike.

Look at the dyno chart for the Area P slip on. Shows some gain across the board (thats without any tuning) plus weight savings.

http://areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-ZX-10R-2008.php

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes, you will get more hp, but it will be in the mid to upper range when the air is flowing hard through the pipe.

Some slip-ons remove the "boom box" (a 8 pound sound reducing, air restricting turd, just after the cats), while other slip-ons leave the boom box in tact. If you get the one that removes the boom box, there's even more power and with a Gen3 that's about 18lbs of weight reduction and better air flow.
thats what i get for using my phone to respond... its too slow and it was answered while i was typing

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Area P, Two Brothers, and a few others remove the boom box (they're calling it the secondary muffler). Leo Vince & others don't.

It looks like there are power gains across the low, mid, and high, but I noticed a big difference across the power band after installing mine - from 6,000-12,000rpm.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Only way to feel any diff with a slip on is to add a good a/f(not a crappy k/n)pc3 or the next one up..Next one up from what i hear responds faster cause of the software upgrade..
Everyone is correct so far about the bike breathing better with out the boombox out but depending on the year(didnt notice)some like the gen 3 have cat pipe in front of boom box..On a g3 you have to gut the cats,delete boom box and have a pipe made or buy a mid pipe replacement then add fuel management device and anythin else ya wanna put on ..Once tuned(not a basic online map)you will see much better throttle responce but as for the feeling the increased hp and tq,ya gotta have an educated ass..Sometimes just the sound alone makes some think it has more pwr..
You will gain mostly in low and mid range with most slips and once boom box and cats gutted you will see it streched out all over..All you will gain is approx 4-7 hp and a cpl lbs of tq plus what ever weight saveings..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Craig, you have hit the nail on the head. I suspect most riders think they have gained hp because of the sound. I think there is very little, if any, hp gain with just a slip on. You are paying for sound and a slight weight reduction. I read a Sport Rider article a few weeks ago where they installed a 3/4 Yosh R-77 system on a R1. They gained a massive .8 hp for the $1300 they spent. Hmmmmm what's that old saying about a fool and his money are soon departed.
It looks to me that any real hp gains would require a full system and proper tuning. Most likely those gains would be on the upper end of the rpm range. That's not where we ride our bikes most of the time.
I spend my weekends riding with some A and B riders on the streets. Not much of my riding is spent at 10,000+ rpms.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I use a carbon fiber leo vince slip-on because it looks good and is light, sound is marginally louder but good enough. I like carbon cans because it's easy on passengers if they touch it by accident.

I didnt buy it for power, if you want real power gains you have to go all the way. full akrapovic and serious dyno tuning. and that path usually leads to a whole bunch of other things, including a considerably lighter wallet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts