Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I was wanting to get some ideas on what more to do with my bike to drop some et's. I have run a 6.56 in the 8th with stock wheel base, -1 in the front, secondaries removed, cats gutted, and a map tunned by ear (going to get a custom map on the 21st).

As of a few days ago I have installed a front strap, lowering link (only dropped 1"), and used road race tire (180).

I am wanting to make a bike that will appear to be a mid to high 6 bike, but be able to run low 6's to high 5's. And in doing so keeping the bike looking as stock as possible. Is this possible?

I know that my riding skills need a good bit more practice, seeing as how my 60' (not dropped or strapped) was 1.72, but what else can I do to drop my et's without making myself stand out.

I am considering the a and r baffles or just taking out the factory one's and replacing the packing.

What do you guys think about an air shifter or a little laughing gas?

Open to all ideas. And I don't want to extend the swingarm. I like to go riding in the mountains a good bit when I get off work.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Stock swingarm will limit you to 6.10 range probably max even with N2O and there are a few people that do that stock wheelbase already all motor...

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
seat time!

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
gearing would do a lot better -1 in the front +3 in the rear, lower the front as much as possible, make sure you strap it good, cut the seat so you can sit lower and have better aerodynamics, custom map will help too, if you're racing take the air filter off you will gain a few ponies, miles and Lower ETs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Forgot to put -1 on the mod list.

You think with +3 on the back will help?

Also when I get the bike mapped should I remove the filter? That would make it run a little rich on the streets. But I would rather have that then be lean on strip.

Also is 2" drop in the back streetable. I dropped the bike 3" when I first installed the links. And needless to say some of my plastic is alot thinner.

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
+3 in the rear you're gonna have a lot of seat time and play with the clutch a lot but it will definately help you a lot! If you're gonna be drag racing a lot i would rather tune the bike with the filter off!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
You're already there for a stock height/stock wheelbase bike man. :)

You can hide a dynojet quickshifter pretty easily: just paint it black and hide the wires well. It won't make you much faster, but it adds up over time. Nitrous won't do much for you in the 1/8th unless you get on it early/out of the hole, and I don't think you'll be doing that on a SWB/stock ride height 10R that's been geared.

As far as keeping it stock looking, Nukedog is right on the money. A&R baffles sound ok if you pack them right, but you won't get much speed out of that either. I spot on map may be worth another mph or so, but you won't see a lot of time out of that either. If you can 60ft a stock bike in the low 1.70's, you're doing pretty well; certainly well enough to surprise some non-launching ass clown on a big bike. I've pretty much gone the same route you are thinking with my bike and you really hit a brick wall trying to go any faster without compromising the corner carving ability of the machine.

G'luck, though! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys I ran the bike with just the front strapped and had trouble keeping the front end down still. Best time of the night was a 6.49 @ 115.9, 60' was 1.689.

Going to try the lowering lengths set at 2" drop in the back and see if that helps any. Guess I will be cutting my kick stand.

I might just break down and have the arm extended. I wonder how far cycle concepts can stretch the swingarm and still be able to go back to the stock length. On their website it says they do 0"-6".

What do you drag racers out there think? Is 6" of extension worth while? And how much of a drop in 60' time should that net (after I figure out how to launch with the extension)?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yo whats up spillman. This is Sana, I bought the Shearer topmount manifold and Direct port system from you for my DSM. :eek:ccasion1 What track do you go to? I ran a 6.7 112mph on my stock 05. I plan on lowering it soon and getting an exhaust and pcIII. You should run nitrous. I am probably gonna break down and get the Muzzy dry kit. I just wish I could hide the bottle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yo whats up spillman. This is Sana, I bought the Shearer topmount manifold and Direct port system from you for my DSM. :eek:ccasion1 What track do you go to? I ran a 6.7 112mph on my stock 05. I plan on lowering it soon and getting an exhaust and pcIII. You should run nitrous. I am probably gonna break down and get the Muzzy dry kit. I just wish I could hide the bottle.
What up man. I run at shady side alot. It's not the greatest track but it's the closest one to me.

I have been doing some talking to the guys at lee's performance and they said you can hide a small one (won't get too many passes) in a few different places.

Before you get an exhaust I would get a pcIII, remove the secondary butterflies, and gut the cat. Made a noticeable difference on my bike for pretty cheap.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
hm, "map tuned by ear"? that may be your problem there

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hm, "map tuned by ear"? that may be your problem there
Well that map is long gone now. I found a map posted up that was close to my setup. I think the only difference was A&R baffles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got back out to the strip tonight. With the bike strapped and lowered 2" in the back I was able to pull off a 1.638 60'. Ended up running a [email protected]

Is this the limit with stock wheel base on a relatively stock bike? I tried launching harder but just had the front end go straight up. I guess it's time to lengthen the wheelbase.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
....so much for 'sleeper'. Long & Low is not subtle. ;)

Good job on the 1.6's though... that's pretty tough on SWB.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
....so much for 'sleeper'. Long & Low is not subtle. ;)

Good job on the 1.6's though... that's pretty tough on SWB.
:+1:

I ran 1.66s once SWB on a good track that day and temp but normally do just low 1.7s...but I weigh 215lbs suited. The main thing is I got my fastest time in the 1/4 mile in the low 1.7s range not the 1.6s :headshake:

you are doing great with the SWB Spillman but to keep going down you need seat time and get to what the ProStar class does with mods they can hit low 6s in SWB form.

So, to me a "Sleeper" in SWB form on a 10R is a GREAT RIDER that knows how to launch it and keep the power(prostar mods or similar) to the ground, but once you extend it then it's like SpazonaZX said it's no longer a sleeper especially when it comes to a 10R it will bring much faster times down the track especially because it was Shorter than most bikes but with power. :wink:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally broke into the 6.3's. Ran a [email protected] with a 1.632 60'.

The day was kind of weird. I ran the 6.3 the third run out. After that all I could manage was 6.4's. What does this mean? Is my bike getting heat soaked or is my clutch acting up?

·
Registered
44 Posts
i got a 07 we got it down to a 6.19 at 119 mph swb. every thing was stock but gear and slammed cat's gone. we got tired of fixing the oil pan put a hole in it three time's be for we give up and put a 3 to 9 arm on it. it's setting at 61 now with the fly's out and a pc and the pipes off down to were the cat's pipe is. it run a 5.992 last night at 120mph with a 1.482 60. it's all so got a shinko 003 u soft on it to. we will be spraying it next weekend with a 50 shot. we as in me and my son.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i see you are in nc to. next weekend i think its the 27 thy got a all bike race at harrels raceway. witch is the track we were at last night. you should try and make it if you can. should be fun. good luck with the bike.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i got a 07 we got it down to a 6.19 at 119 mph swb. every thing was stock but gear and slammed cat's gone. we got tired of fixing the oil pan put a hole in it three time's be for we give up and put a 3 to 9 arm on it. it's setting at 61 now with the fly's out and a pc and the pipes off down to were the cat's pipe is. it run a 5.992 last night at 120mph with a 1.482 60. it's all so got a shinko 003 u soft on it to. we will be spraying it next weekend with a 50 shot. we as in me and my son.
Thats moving for stock wheelbase. I am going to try playing around with the gearing and adding a few more lengths to the chain. I have about an inch left on the swingarm I can use. I dropped a few tenths yesterday. Ran a [email protected] And thats with a partially crushed header :lol:.

What classes are they running at that track? Do they have a swb class?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts