Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm VERY new to the world of the ZX10 and it's exhaust servo. I picked up a downed 05 from a buddy and I want to change the look of the exhaust from a Yosh slip on to a Race Fit Slash. But from the looks of it, you can't just put it on a stock header, as the butterfly assembly is a welded part of the entire exhaust.

So my questions are these..... To use a Slash exhaust, do I need an aftermarket header, or can I cut the stock exhaust? And actually, is there any sort of advantage to having their Slash tip exhaust (or that style in general) or is it the equivalent of removing the can?

·
Registered
265 Posts
your going to have backpressure issues even with a full tune. the advantage is more noise... tons of noise.... ear rupturing pissing off your neighborhood noise. srsly though, its horribly loud with a slashcut. if you disconnect the servo the motor will burn out eventually and set an fI light.

hopefully some resident experts will chime in soon and educate you a little more. look for garthman is the only name to come up off the top of my head but theres some really educated tuners on here, listen to them.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
if you disconnect the servo the motor will burn out eventually and set an fI light.
WHAT?! I've never heard of that.

The slash fits on just like any other slip-on. The servo is in the header so you can leave it alone. I previously had a full on my bike (with a slash cut - the boz moira, stupid loud, had to get rid of it eventually), so I disconnected the cables at the servo motor then. I haven't put them back on, as the servo just stays open all the time now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
WHAT?! I've never heard of that.

The slash fits on just like any other slip-on. The servo is in the header so you can leave it alone. I previously had a full on my bike (with a slash cut - the boz moira, stupid loud, had to get rid of it eventually), so I disconnected the cables at the servo motor then. I haven't put them back on, as the servo just stays open all the time now.
Yea, I was originally looking for the Moira, but obviously discontinued. As far as noise, I can wear earplugs, and I don't have to worry about neighbors. I'm more concerned with the performance benefits/drawbacks and well, to be a squid, looks. Where abouts did your Moira exit? By the swingarm or under your feet? I was hoping to make it exit as low and forward as possible.

The reason I ask about the whole is it just a slip on, or do I need an aftermarket header/modifed stock header is because if you look at this video, with the Boz Bros Moira, it exits about where the butterfly assembly is

·
Gone
673 Posts
Right then - the boz moira is a full system which does away will valve hence the exit point where valve used to be.

the racefit slash is like a slip on which goes onto oe headers just after the valve.

you can remove the cables between the servo motor in subframe and the valve in exhaust. this will leave the exhaust valve in the fully open position. don't unplug the servo motor from the loom unless you want an error light on the dash (fi).

And the motor (servo one) wont burn out as it does not continously revolve with the cables removed.

hope these answer your questions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right then - the boz moira is a full system which does away will valve hence the exit point where valve used to be.

the racefit slash is like a slip on which goes onto oe headers just after the valve.

you can remove the cables between the servo motor in subframe and the valve in exhaust. this will leave the exhaust valve in the fully open position. don't unplug the servo motor from the loom unless you want an error light on the dash (fi).

And the motor (servo one) wont burn out as it does not continously revolve with the cables removed.

hope these answer your questions.
Yes indeedely! Thanks!

My final question is this then.....since the Race Fit is a slip on, obviously it won't exit in the position like the Boz Bros, which is the look I was hoping for. So since the Moira is no longer available, is there a system out there that does look like the Moira?

·
Gone
673 Posts
racefit exits along side swingarm. will try dig out a pic and post it in the next 5min...

Not sure of any others mate esp not here in europe...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice actually! I can deal with that!! Racefit it is! Thanks Tony! And obviously that would work with an aftermarket header?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It should be said...I felt a power loss everywhere but on the very top end with the moira on, even after a custom pcIII tune. Though, it looked clean as hell. I know there's a member who made muffled gp-exit systems for second gens (clutchNshift, I think, or something like that). If a system like that came around for the first gen, I would really look into it. I loved the look, but the lack of any back pressure and the horribly deafening sound (even with earplugs...I tried) made me get rid of it.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,716 Posts
hate em....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have one right now and i can honestly say you will loose some power in lower rpm's.
Now that a couple of guys have said that I am reconsidering. I could have sworn I read somewhere that a system like the Moira increased power all around, but I may very well be mistaken.

I guess my ultimate goal is to reduce size and weight as much as possible without sacrificing power. Time to research the archives for exhaust comparo's!

·
Registered
277 Posts
If I were you i would look into a level one racing exhaust. they are smaller and very nice and you wont loose any power!!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If I were you i would look into a level one racing exhaust. they are smaller and very nice and you wont loose any power!!
:+1:

A shorty slip-on of some sort would work well too. If you really want to make bog power and drop weight, there are a few full systems to look at, and cut down the can that comes with them. (Arata, TiForce, Akro, etc.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts