Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there are any people in here that jump frequently. I want to set one up soon. Looking at a place in the Space Coast. They offer an 18k foot jump, with 1:30 of free fall! Sounds amazing! Not really a fan of the whole tandem jump, but I guess everyone's gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I started jumping back in 91. I was working on my 10 jumps to get my license (not sure if that it what you still need or not). But I never finished. Started getting pretty heavy into to drag racing so I did not finish my 10 jumps. I always jumped with 2 jump masters (one was a astronaut) and at first they will hold on to you to see if you are stable. You will get no sensation of falling till you get closer to the ground. It is windy as hell and every action has a reaction. Meaning you move a hand, arm, or leg you will move diffenent.

Enjoy it. I have a pretty good first jump video and pictures. They told me to wave at the camera after I do my practice pulls. I decided to shoot the finger. Haha

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't jumped yet. I always love a good adrenaline burst though. I've always been a great swimmer, and with that and riding fast a lot, I think I have a feeling what it will be like with the wind resistance on body parts, etc.
Just looking forward to that amazing view and the unbelievable feeling of weightlessness. Gonna be like the best rollercoaster I've ever rode, x10!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are cheaper fares available, but the 18k ft. one is $250. That and the photography is another $100..
Shit-ain't-cheap.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I wanted to get my license as well but it just added up too quick and only got 2 of my jumps in.

I did what they call the accelerated free fall class where you take about a 5hr class then jump with 2 people holding on to you so you don't tumble too much. First time I was so concentrated on not dying and fucking up it went by really quick and was super scary but a hell of a rush. The 2nd jump I was a lot less scared and was able to look around and enjoy the fall a bit more.

I only jumped for 13k and had just about a minute of free fall.

Definitely do it, biggest rush I've ever had! If you do the class and jump with 2 other people and plan on doing other jumps I'd save the $100 for a later jump where you can do more things, probably make for a cooler video than your first jump where you just fall straight down.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
I have three jumps. I jumped tandem in Lake Wales and was considering getting my license. They jump from 14k there and its a super thrill and a ton of fun. The one and only part I didn't like was that it only lasts about five minutes from the time you jump to when you land. I think it would be a good hobby though once you got your license and your equipment. I think they only charge about 30 bucks a jump after that. So basically you could do 7 jumps on a Saturday and not spend as much as you would doing a track day.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Stealth Fighter it won't feel like a roller coaster or anything like that. When you sit in a roller coaster or one of those drop rides. They actually pull you down when they drop and you get pulled down, then you get the weightless sensation. Skydiving does not get the same sensation. You get the adrenaline rush and is windy as hell. You will like it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,621 Posts
I have 19 jumps over the years. Back when I was in college I was part of the skydiving club and went through the AFF course out in Delend, FL. Went broke doing as college student after 8 jumps. It's free to jump out of the plane (that's why they call it freefall, but the plane ride up and the chute costs money ;). Got back into it years later at Skydive City in Z-hills and ran out of time and people to jump with. Never got my A-license and never did a tandem jump.

It's pretty awesome and the feeling of falling only lasts a few seconds. Once you stop accelerating downwards, it's just like you're flying. The coolest part (for me) is when they open the door to the plane and you're standing at the ledge hanging out in the breeze. Pretty wild feeling.

I'd double check the 18,000 foot drop figure though. Above 15,000ft the pilot has to be on oxygen and it has to be available for each passenger. That's not something they usually do and why most dives only go to 14,500. But it could be.

Even if you only do it one time, it's so worth it! Do it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I find it ironic that I'll ride a superbike 186MPH but won't dare go sky diving lol.
You guys make it sound cool and all but F^%$ that! lol

·
The Pace
6,931 Posts
nope, but ton of hanggliding time at expert level, but haven't been in air since the move as all flying here is ridge lift along beach near old ft. ord. (ridge lift is akin to slab riding...on the stunningly boring side) I have a problem with one aspect of skydiving: betting on the chute opening properly. I would have np with the free fall, unless I started to get seasick. lol

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
nope, but ton of hanggliding time at expert level, but haven't been in air since the move as all flying here is ridge lift along beach near old ft. ord. (ridge lift is akin to slab riding...on the stunningly boring side) I have a problem with one aspect of skydiving: betting on the chute opening properly. I would have np with the free fall, unless I started to get seasick. lol
:iamwithstupid:
:thefinger_red:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I was airborne in the army and have since done some jumps. I tell people that it doesn't feel like you're driving out on country roads and your stomache drops or a roller coaster drop. It feels like you have your head out of the car window at 120mph. There is no falling sensation. Wear goggles and enjoy the view. Sky I too like hanging out of the door. Idk why, but it's just cool waiting and jumping whenever.. green light or not lol.

scout and ninja, always trust your equipment. If you don't that's how you get yourself killed. Plus you always have a backup and cutaway. If that one fails, you wouldn't feel much hitting the ground anyway lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use to jump every weekend I could, weather permitting, and was on call for Sebastian and Space Center if they were sending a load up during the week for tandems or AFF. It's a nice lunch when you can get a jump in! Makes for a great 2nd half day at work. The most I've jumped is 6 in one day. But after each jump you need to run back to the hanger and pack chute as fast as you can to make the next load if possible. I have my A license and more than 350 jumps over a span of 3 years but that's nothing compared to some that have over 10,000 jumps. I have jumped all over the US and out of the country a few times as well. My last jump was about 3 1/2 years ago when my wife got pregnant. And of course the only reason I stopped was money priorities. I do expect to be back in the air sometime next year.

And yes Space Center has a High altitude jump from 18,000 feet. I've done it many times. It adds an extra 10 second or so delay in freefall. You're only at that altitude for a short time. It does take a little extra effort to breath but once you exit the aircraft you are at 15,000 feet in no time and are breathing normal. Well, as normal as you can falling 120mph towards earth LOL.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,621 Posts
So let me see if I understand your logic (which would be a first, btw) :wink:

You'll sling yourself under a metal frame that supports a piece of nylon fabric and go flying with it. After assembling the metal frame yourself out of a bag, and then stretching the nylon fabric over the frame to form a wing. Then steer the whole contraption by warping the fabric with your weight and a cabling, while waiting for enough wind speed to keep you in the air.

But yet you won't jump out of a plane and let the same fabric your glider wing is made from (and packed by a licensed pro) slow you down? Makes sense. :idea:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
So since nearly everyone that posted is in Florida how about we do a ride/meet up/skydive trip!?

:grin2:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,621 Posts
So since nearly everyone that posted is in Florida how about we do a ride/meet up/skydive trip!?

:grin2:
We can't get enough members on the same page for a trackday. How you expecting to get enough members to fill a plane for a Dive Day? :lol:

But I like what you're trying to do!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mainly just meant I'm looking forward to the kind of rush that a really bad ass coaster gives me. Though I'm guessing it's gotta be even better than that.
Thanks for all the input guys. That's a good point about the cheaper drops up front too. May be a better idea to do that first. They do have a lower altitude one for $100.
That would be sweet if we could get at least a few of us to meet up and hit it the same day. Got quite a few Floridians here too. I'm down for it.

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
I've done it twice.... it was a blast! It is just pricey and if I have money I prefer doing trackdays. Now, if I was loaded I'd get a pair of jet boots like that swedish guy has. That has got to be a rush!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts