Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I mix the antifreeze with water or without? Im in NY and going to ride until it snows around here.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm no expert, but i would say if it says to mix it with water thats what you should do. Just get stuff that is good down into the negatives and dont over mix with water.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Use a motorcycle antifreeze from your bikes manufacterer. Mix according to whats apropriate in your climate (some mc AFs come premixed), and ask a knowledgeable local tech. Some car antifreeze is not aluminum friendly. Had some trouble with an aftermarket mc AF so thats why I now use Kawi, Honda, Yam, etc.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Straight anti-freeze (100%) will FREEZE before anti-freeze mixed with water.

You can already buy it 50/50 mixed, or get a gallon of "distilled" water at the grocery store and mix the full strength anti-freeze with that AT 50/50.

Tap water will corrode up your insides.
:+1: MM got to it before me

·
Registered
241 Posts
Use antifreeze that's safe for aluminum and mix it 50/50 with distilled (not tap) water. Or buy the stuff that's premixed.

Also - when you drain and fill coolant, don't forget that there are two drain plug locations. One at the bottom of the water pump, and another on the block under the far left exhaust port. I leave the second one open as I'm refilling until fluid drools out of it to help prevent air from being trapped.

edit: Whoops - apparently I'm a bit slow on the typing...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts