Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
All we can do is see how it works when they get in accidents and see how many have head injuries, you have to draw the line somewhere, safety should come before religion but politicians are trying to attract voters i am guessing, or maybe there is a niche market for making helmets that fit over a turban?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I disagree. Nobody wants to see someone's splattered brains all over the pavement. Not only that but others shouldn't have to fund an insurance corporation that's paying to cover someone's lifelong brain injury when a helmet would've cut that cost drastically. Sure you could argue that a head injury sans helmet would simply result in a cheaper fatality instead of expensive rehabilitation but who's going to make that morbid argument and have the stats to back it up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I disagree. Nobody wants to see someone's splattered brains all over the pavement. Not only that but others shouldn't have to fund an insurance corporation that's paying to cover someone's lifelong brain injury when a helmet would've cut that cost drastically. Sure you could argue that a head injury sans helmet would simply result in a cheaper fatality instead of expensive rehabilitation but who's going to make that morbid argument and have the stats to back it up.
if thats really your reasoning... then come back to me after smoking, drinking, and being overweight are all outlawed first... those 3 kill more and cost SIGNIFICANTLY more of a burden

and yes since you mentioned it the coroner and a clean up crew costs less than ambulance/paramedics and years of rehab etc... no helmet actually reduces the insurance burden since fatality is more likely.

the last thing we need in this world is more rules telling us how to live our lives and what risks we should be allowed to take... pretty soon you wont even be allowed to think for yourself, just follow a set plan from birth to death lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree about the " We don't need more rules argument" but Not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle is just Plain Stupid and Irresponsible. I don't necessarily care whether or not your kids want or need you around. I take calculated risks. Not wearing a helmet on the street with cars around is very dangerous. Understand that when I was 16 years old and learning to drive, I had a motorcycle permit at 15 yo and was not required to wear a helmet. Many times I did not wear a helmet. I was too young to understand the gravity of the subject. I have since wised up.......

·
Registered
207 Posts
no kids and never gonna have them
no wife around either, at least none of my own >:)
I guess nobody is gonna miss you..........Be smart and put a brain bucket on your head. Taking calculated risks is the smart way of having fun. There are plenty of ways to hurt yourself and you can't keep having fun when you are laid up in the hospital or nursing injuries. I do plenty of crazy shit at the young age of 54. Skateboarding Vert, surfing, skiing, motocross and street/canyon shredding etc. Everything except surfing is done with a helmet on my head. Remember, your head is the most important piece of the puzzle. If you have never seen nor heard a person smack their head on concrete really, really hard; it is not something that you want to experience again.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I guess nobody is gonna miss you....

....If you have never seen nor heard a person smack their head on concrete really, really hard; it is not something that you want to experience again.
whether or not anyone misses me is not an important factor in any of my decisions... i live my life the way i enjoy and i accept the consequences.

as for the second part, unfortunately for them, ive watched more than a handful of skulls emptied in front of my eyes personally... not to mention ive been hit 11 times by cars, trucks, and motorcycles (other party at fault), and ive crashed twice (my fault)... im more than adequately aware of the dangers and consequences... if i still choose to sometimes ride without my helmet that should be my choice... if you want to ride with your helmet on all the time be my guest, i wont bother you... but the road should go both ways, dont pester others who choose to accept the risk.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I do plenty of crazy shit at the young age of 54. Skateboarding Vert, surfing, skiing, motocross and street/canyon shredding etc.
You are rolling the dice either way. Not wearing a helmet is no different but that choice should be yours to make. One can easily argue that canyon shredding is a higher calculated risk when compared to going around a race track. Why do you play higher odds then? You must know that throwing a leg over a motorcycle through the same canyon is a higher calculated risk instead of going in a car (helmet or no helmet). Car has air bags and way better odds of survival so why do you "choose" to go on the motorcycle instead when a safer option is available? Why shouldn't that choice be taken away from you by the nanny state and motorcycles outlawed altogether in the name of safety. You are trying to hurt your self while canyon shredding on a motorcycle and you need to be kept safe from yourself for your sake and for the sake of your loved ones and your children and your family. I think I am going to regret opening my mouth :smile2:

In the Canadian context, the tax payer or public funding a motorcycle injury / rehabilitation is frowned upon but it is ok for that same tax payer / public to fund the grease, sugar, cigarette, booze related injuries. I don't buy into the hypocrisy of it all, sorry.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not wearing a helmet is no different. That is laughable. As you said, all are calculated risks for sure. I could ride in a car for sure. It would be safer. I was just pointing out that doing crazy shit without at least basic safety gear is plain stupid and irresponsible. You obviously have never hit your head really hard. Or maybe you have.....and that is our problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What one considers to be doing crazy shit and being stupid and irresponsible is opinion. Acceptable calculated risk is different for different people. In my opinion the video is inappropriate and I am going to leave it at that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What one considers to be doing crazy shit and being stupid and irresponsible is opinion. Acceptable calculated risk is different for different people.
bingo

there are plenty of people out there that consider just riding a motorcycle even in full gear to be "stupid" and way too high of a risk, but im guessing mr prophet wouldnt like them coming to take his motorcycle away and tell him its too dangerous.

people need to mind their own business and worry about their own lives.... less interference in others choices (that do not affect you)... people riding without a helmet does not in any significant way impact you at all, directly or indirectly... to be honest i find the self righteous portion of the ATGATT crowd who want to force their choices on others to be bordering on arrogance with fascist undertones.... nothing against the ATGATT crowd who just keep it to themselves, thats perfectly fine.

people who go out of their way trying to tell other people how to live is much more dangerous concept than someone who chooses to ride down to the 7-11 without a helmet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts