Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime my bike will crank fine others it wont. Sometime the fuel pump will come on the bike runs perfect. Sometimes it will prime but the injectors wont spray any fuel?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also right now the pump will come on butthe bike wont start but if i spray starting fluid it fires up

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
check the 16 pin plug under the fuel rail and your PC connectors as well

bloo

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check the 16 pin plug under the fuel rail and your PC connectors as well

bloo
what am i checking for? also let me add that i took the entire harness off my street zx10 and put it on my grudge zx10 last night thinking the harness was messed up somewhere and same problems

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
what about that blue connector next to the left side cover.
It will do the same crap. Sometimes it will kick the fuel pump on and sometimes it wont'
Its taped to the harness and usually corroded or burnt like mine was.

Here is the link...
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102345&highlight=fuel+pump+wiring
He said he replaced the harness though. Sean did you replace the Relay box as well If i remember right the circuitry with the fuel injectors is in that loop as well? Just don't think it's the ECU at this time if it runs ok at times that tells me it's ok just not ok with some inputs at times and cutting fuel.

bloo

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked the blue plug and cleaned it with contact cleaner its good. Now the old wiring harness the plug was so corroded it broke in pieces trying to take it off....still no power to my power commander and no power to the pump but every so often it will prime. Its just turning over but wont crank..

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He said he replaced the harness though. Sean did you replace the Relay box as well If i remember right the circuitry with the fuel injectors is in that loop as well? Just don't think it's the ECU at this time if it runs ok at times that tells me it's ok just not ok with some inputs at times and cutting fuel.

bloo
which relay box? i replace all headlight wiring,main harness,fuel injector harness,and the coil pack harness checked all fuses...what really sucks i just sold my extra ECU about a month ago for 60 should of kept it!! :headshake

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
which relay box? i replace all headlight wiring,main harness,fuel injector harness,and the coil pack harness checked all fuses...what really sucks i just sold my extra ECU about a month ago for 60 should of kept it!! :headshake
The relay box next to your ECU controls many things for 1st Gen it's a 3 plug unit. I know when I manually applied 12v power to the power line for a PCIII (because the 9v external input wasn't working) to my surprised the fuel pump got activated but after looking at the schematic I knew why.

bloo

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive bought two in one week thinking that was the problem

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The relay box next to your ECU controls many things for 1st Gen it's a 3 plug unit. I know when I manually applied 12v power to the power line for a PCIII (because the 9v external input wasn't working) to my surprised the fuel pump got activated but after looking at the schematic I knew why.

bloo
oh ok the one on top of the ecu? how could i check that?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i noticed the clutch safety switch plug is missing off the harness of the bike could this cause any of my problems? It wont even turn over in frist gear like my street bike did with the clutch pulled in? I need to know what color the 3 wires are that run from it and where they go so i can correct this!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i guess i need to take a chance and order a ECU its not throwing any FI lights but if i plug up my PC3 it throw 11 and 32 (main throttle sensor and sub throttle sensor and the power commander wont power on.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
clutch lever switch wont matter as long as the bike is in neutral and the neutral switch is working (on kawis).
The engine-stop switch on the right bar is also tied into the fuel pump circuit. I highly doubt your ECU is bad, especially if it works right sometimes. Intermittent problem says that you have a bad connection or chaffed wire somewhere. Check for bent or burnt pins in the harness connections too.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this weekend its got to where it wont run period get spark and fuel comfired that...ive literally changed every wire on the bike but the kill switch on the handle bars and the ecu/relay

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
i guess i need to take a chance and order a ECU its not throwing any FI lights but if i plug up my PC3 it throw 11 and 32 (main throttle sensor and sub throttle sensor and the power commander wont power on.
Hey Sean, just got the same issues with my 04.
All fine, no FI codes, pump always primes, turning but not starting.
My pc3 after the initial check goes off, removed it.

I noticed i have no spark. Checked ECU ground and main relay all ok. Need to check IC igniter inside ECU. Check you tip-over sensor as well.
Also engine/chassis ground and crank sensor.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
and crank sensor
You can test the pickup with a multi-meter to verify it has proper resistance and that it is putting out sufficient voltage to trigger the igniter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts