Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like many others, I raised my rear height by shimming the shock. For the past couple years I've been parking (home and at work) on a piece of 2x4.

So I got a salvage sidestand to mod. I want to lengthen it by about 1.5 inches. I can't be the only one who's thought of this. Recommendations?

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Reason for raising the rear on a g4, please.
Decreases the trail, increases the rake, makes turn-in easier, puts the CG higher, more ground clearance, more weight on the front, swingarm angle changed, etc. etc.

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
So like many others, I raised my rear height by shimming the shock. For the past couple years I've been parking (home and at work) on a piece of 2x4.

So I got a salvage sidestand to mod. I want to lengthen it by about 1.5 inches. I can't be the only one who's thought of this. Recommendations?

Jeez. How high up did you jack it? I'm was +4mm on the shock mount on my G4 and the bike leans on the sidestand a bit more, but I never needed to prop it up. That seems like a lot of height to need that!

Extendable sidestands can be purchased. But they are mainly for lowered bikes.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I knew how to weld and was so equipped, we wouldn't be having this discussion...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm shimmed in the rear on my bikes and never seen the need to extend the kick stand, I've shortened kickstands before.

Hmm..I could think of a few ways to ghetto extend, but none seem permanent or visually pleasing. I can elaborate if interested.

I would just find a welder and throw him $40 and let him do his magic.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm..I could think of a few ways to ghetto extend, but none seem permanent or visually pleasing. I can elaborate if interested.

I would just find a welder and throw him $40 and let him do his magic.
That's kind of where I'm at. The visually pleasing part.

I'm open to suggestions. I thought of cutting the foot off one and welding the bottom 2 inches of the other onto it. Since they seem to be hollow, the conical sections might nest and provide sufficient strength.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Even the a/m Aluminium side stand at the longest adjustment is still shorter than stock stand!I no this personly because Ive purchased 2 in the past!the latest Aluminium stand I mounted I had to drill and tap the stand foot(the a/m stand foot print is smaller than stock)and added about 5mm(1/4 inch) thick Aluminium plate!I used 2 M6 Ti bolts to mount onto the stand foot(I drilled and taped a M6 thread)and 1 more M6 bolt at the top of the plate so once it's in contact with the ground it sits even!its now got a much bigger foot print and prolly raised the a/m stand all up with the bolts around a good 1/2 inch(around 10mm)longer!my advice to you!extend your oem stand by cutting and welding a longer piece in!the oem stand is hollow so get a experienced welder to do this job!dont go cheap with someone that isn't qualified!if that stand fails because a mate tacked it together your cost for Brocken fairings and whatever else hits the ground if the bike goes over will be expensive!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.