Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, following on from a previous post i thought this one might make things clearer

It seems, on my Gen2, the sidestand switch is causing intermiitent non starting, ie it turns over in neutral out of gear and will start 20 times out of 22, yet those 2 times it can just turn over and over and over and over. When its doing the non start, if i join the pins together of the bikes loom that the switch connects to it instantly starts.

The switch tests fine, as it should with a multimeter and is mounted fine, as i say, the bike can start 20 times out of 22 attempts ( on the paddock stand )

The non start only seems to occur with the switch in the broken (open ) setting ie the stand down

As i say, the switch itself tests fine, open and shut circuits with multimeter

One thing i noticed, when it doesnt start ( yet still turns over ) the battery voltage drops to about 9.9 and "seems" flat, yet it isnt. As soon as i bridged the side stand connector together on the bikes loom it spun over much quicker and voltage went up to like 11.9 and it fires up

SO, why would this occur ? Its cutting the coils ( but this should only occur if in gear ?? ) yet its stopping the bike igniting yet turns over fine. No FI light, No FI codes either.
Clutch switch works fine as well.

cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Throw that switch in the garbage. Jumper the wires or buy a bypass plug and call it a day. From what I understand, if the bike is in neutral this switch effectively doesn't exist in the ECU software. From what I know that switch causes way more problems than it's worth.

I personally don't believe there are any hidden functions in the ECU that somehow deal with this switch other than Neutral = Runtime and Not Neutral = Kill Switch. But I'm also not very stubborn so please chime in if you can enlighten me.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The side stand switch doesn't have a FI code, its a poorly designed item in an badly protected area, and water or dirt increase starts to cause earthing issues so occasionally it thinks is stand is down, don't over think this, there £80 new or do as i and many folks here have suggested already just bridge it out the equation.

·
The Pace
7,053 Posts
gotta have that stupid switch. Like rider above said, have to replace. Like the tip switch, safety issue. Decades ago no one had the side cut off switch SO old ladies on mopeds were crashing in their street clothes and getting injured. A quick flick to left on our bike with stand down may cause SERIOUS crash.

So replace or have dealer tech guy check it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts