Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, as many of you responded to my crash thread last week. I have a question I'm thinking now that I'm a little better, that I might keep my bike and just not ride at night anymore.... anyway, it busted the oil pan and the oil is obviously gone. had a small oil on header fire for probably 20 secs before my buddy could get to it and blow it out. I really haven't looked at it closely, but they said the engine looks fine as far as they could tell cept for the oil pan being busted and the header bent up. I'm not sure how bad the header is, i'm too crippled to get down and really look at it. My question. would it be ok just to try to start it and if it cranks cut it off immediately? I'm gonna need the whole front upper and lower fairing, tail piece and right mid (all in pearl blazing orange if anybody has any for sale) and at least the black right lower, prob both sides on that. Oh and it bent the out lip on my back wheel just a little bit....everything else looks good cept for right peg, right rear peg and the little plastic T pipe coming off the front master cylinder. Before I go buying plastics I'd like to know if the engine is most likely ok. If I keep her I don't think I wanna go through the insurance even though I have full coverage.(or should I?) In the long run, I think It'd end up costing me out the butt with all my ins. going up....... all opinions appreciated!!!! Thanks for all the support in my "broken ankles hurt" thread!!!

Here's a link to it if anybody that didn't see it wants to check it out. http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76502

·
Registered
164 Posts
as for the insurance... the bike will definately be totaled if all that stuff is wrong with it.. so with that being said, unless u just want to make it a streetfighter ... imo turn it into the insurance.. i put together a 07 650r i downed because i thought it would be better not turning it in... i almost had 1000 dollars in it without buying the 1 fairing it needed..

as for starting it... did your buddy have to shut the bike off.. probly not.. so the engine is probly ok.. if the oil pans not torn completely off and will hold some oil, it would be worth a shot just to make sure it cranks over. the problem is that if it has set, most the oil coating the rod and crank bearings has probably has drained off leaving just metal on metal.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try to get some pics of it later today if it's not raining. I don't want any junk to ride lol. I'll try to get a look at the oil pan and see how bad it is too. I know it lost alot of oil though. I guess the book price is the most important issue here...I paid $4500 for the bike from a friend and had several people who knew the bike beg me to take my money back for it. I put hid headlights on it(same evening of the wreck) broke in the new engine it had when I bought it, put brand new pirelli rosso tire on back a month ago, new matching front tire day before wreck, new stainless braided galfer front brake lines a day before the wreck, I think that's about it, just say I have approx $5300 or so in it less I'm forgetting anything. oh and from what I remember the bike went dead pretty quickly....I'll ask my friend if he had to cut it off.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Since the oil pan is broken and headers are bent, check carefully for any cracks on the lower crankcase. If you don't see any, put a new oil pan, oil and start it up. If it's not leaking it's ok. If yes...forget about it. But from what you say too much damage already...

EDIT: Never start a bike without oil.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tasos, so you're saying use the insurance and take what I get for the bike correct? If I do go this route, the headlights and new braided lines and the few other things I upgraded are coming off and going up for sale on here. gotta get every penny I can out of it if I claim it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Tasos, so you're saying use the insurance and take what I get for the bike correct? If I do go this route, the headlights and new braided lines and the few other things I upgraded are coming off and going up for sale on here. gotta get every penny I can out of it if I claim it.
Well, on your other thread you said you hit a concrete curb about a foot tall at about 30 mph or so, right? This is major impact on a non moving object.
I bet the frame took a good beating too. If you need forks/wheel/rad/plastics/tank/headers etc i think it's not worth it, it will cost more just to buy used stuff.

Again best wishes for a quick recovery

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I actually think I was probably 20 mph or so, it should have threw me farther if I was going 30 or so, now that I've thought about it. frame looks fine as far as dents/scratches but yeah it could be warped or stressed, i don't know. I'm not really sure how much direct impact the engine took really. not sure exactly what angle I hit, I'm pretty sure I hit more or less parallel to the curb so probably near direct side impact. I need to go back to the scene and get a look at it. I really wanna keep the bike now. even though I DON'T need to.... hopefully they'll give me more than I've got in it i don't know. anybody know EXACTLY what book they go by and can give me an amount that they'd give me for it? I use state farm ins. which from what i've read on forums is pretty much the best for bikes. oh and i think the curb was probably more like 6 or so inches high

·
Banned
257 Posts
i use sf
they use what they call a stated value policy.
this last bike, i never even stated a value.
i told em i paid $10k.
after it was ripped, i sent in the recpt for the tsukigi exh. for a total of $11,500
they gave me $10k. i had it 13 months

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow!! I don't remember if I told them a value when I got the bike and went and got insurance, i hope not!!! is there a time limit on filing a claim? I've been to banged up and immobile to mess with it but my legs feeling better the last day or so. I need to figure out what i'm gonna do, i usually drag around and cost my self money on stuff like this!

·
Banned
257 Posts
you don't need to tell them.
they will ask mileage.
the higher mileage, less value, :wink:

when mine were stolen or i crashed, i was right on it,
as bikes are all i've had for several yrs now.
you might have rental cov.
i did

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k i'm confused now, i thought by stated value, you meant, they ask you what the bike is worth. and if its reasonable they pay you. so basically you give them mileage and they look up the value of the bike? will it help me that the bike had a new engine right before i bought it? prob not... i have the documentation on the $4300 engine. if i check and see what they will give me on the bike, will i have the option of taking it or not filing the claim? also i was told that often if they total a bike you can buy the bike back from them for a little of nothing, know anything bout this?

·
Banned
257 Posts
k i'm confused now, i thought by stated value, you meant, they ask you what the bike is worth. and if its reasonable they pay you. so basically you give them mileage and they look up the value of the bike? will it help me that the bike had a new engine right before i bought it? prob not... i have the documentation on the $4300 engine. if i check and see what they will give me on the bike, will i have the option of taking it or not filing the claim? also i was told that often if they total a bike you can buy the bike back from them for a little of nothing, know anything bout this?
when you got it they asked you what you paid right?
they'll base it off that, and take into consideration any add-ons, BUT you may or may not get the add ons.
i had this sf bitch say i coulda removed those parts b4 it got stolen.(however in your case you have the damaged parts as evidence. And they also look at what it'd cost to buy a similar bike.
i'm sure they surf sites like cycletraderonline to see what others are selling for.
if you wanna contest your payout have evidence such as online ads to show them they're off, as well as reciepts.
this will slow the process down though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i can't remember for sure if they asked what I paid or not. I know they asked that on my boat but i cant remember on my bike. if they did, surely I told them more cause I got a good deal and it was worth considerably more than I paid for it from what people told me when I told them what i paid.... so hopefully i'll come out ok.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well, as many of you responded to my crash thread last week. I have a question I'm thinking now that I'm a little better, that I might keep my bike and just not ride at night anymore.... anyway, it busted the oil pan and the oil is obviously gone. had a small oil on header fire for probably 20 secs before my buddy could get to it and blow it out. I really haven't looked at it closely, but they said the engine looks fine as far as they could tell cept for the oil pan being busted and the header bent up. I'm not sure how bad the header is, i'm too crippled to get down and really look at it. My question. would it be ok just to try to start it and if it cranks cut it off immediately? I'm gonna need the whole front upper and lower fairing, tail piece and right mid (all in pearl blazing orange if anybody has any for sale) and at least the black right lower, prob both sides on that. Oh and it bent the out lip on my back wheel just a little bit....everything else looks good cept for right peg, right rear peg and the little plastic T pipe coming off the front master cylinder. Before I go buying plastics I'd like to know if the engine is most likely ok. If I keep her I don't think I wanna go through the insurance even though I have full coverage.(or should I?) In the long run, I think It'd end up costing me out the butt with all my ins. going up....... all opinions appreciated!!!! Thanks for all the support in my "broken ankles hurt" thread!!!

Here's a link to it if anybody that didn't see it wants to check it out. http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76502
to total a bike all it needs is a dent in the frame and its done ,

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got a feeling I told them the real amount I paid and will prob be keeping it and parting it out. kinda makes me sick....gonna call today and ask them what I told them and go from there. if i told them what it was worth instead of what I paid then i'll go ahead and claim it I guess, but I've got a bad feelin I didn't cause I remember being worried bout insurance fraud if something ever happened where their copy of a bill of sale was compared to the court houses.......

·
Registered
634 Posts
Insurance companies have to make you whole. They won't just give you what you paid. ie more then the 4300. IIRC you have 30 days to file the claim or they'll say you're S.O.L. I'd turn it in.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ok I've got an update on State Farm Ins. I went and talked to them and they don't actually have a motorcycle adjuster. They told me to take it somewhere and get an estimate on repairs and fax it to them. They will determine if it's totaled from that. then they'll go by the regional retail price as to what they will give me if it's totaled. Then they'll have somebody come take pics to make sure it's really wrecked. She told me where they get the retail from but I can't remember the name of it. I need to call them back and get that and see if i can find out what that retail is. I wonder if the local kawi shop will charge me for that estimate. Still how are they gonna know if the engine is good without taking it out and stripping it down? lol That's the biggest worry I have. It took a pretty good lick on the oil pan and a decent lick on bottom of the header beside the oil pan. Half of the oil pan is gone but from what I can see with a broken ankle the cases look good. That's without really getting under it and looking....I'm worried something inside the engine may have gotten shifted and cracked a bearing. I had that happen with a truck one time when a guy ran a light and i t-boned him. didn't hurt my truck much but a week later it blew up. Apparently it shoved the crank forward and cracked a bearing or something. I just hope the retail is more than I have in the bike. I'd think so since I got a pretty good deal on the bike from what everybody says around here. They all wish they had known he would take that amount for it for they would have been all over it. Everybody around here knows the bike from the previous owner. It was mint........not anymore :( I'm gonna pull the scotts damper off and the braided brake lines and hid lights that were both put on the day I wrecked it and sell them on here sometime. also put the front tire on the day before the wreck and the back tire 3 weeks before the wreck..... they're pirelli rosso's I want to keep it and fix it now, but that engine deal just makes me nervous. my luck i'd fix it and it'd blow in no time then I'd be screwed and regretting not totalling it. I should put a towel on the frame and wack it good with a sledge hammer lol. I'm not gonna do that though, i don't have the stomach to hurt my baby more than she already is........I'm so sad, but I guess my bike days are short lived....i bought it in feb I think and it's already over with. Thank God I'm not though, cause I could have very easily been...... oh and my helmet will prob be for sale too. it doesn't have a scratch on it. it didnt hit anything so there's more big time luck. It's a suomy. I'll keep everybody up to date.

If anybody knows where they get the retail from please let me know.

·
Banned
257 Posts
if it aint running they aint gonna know shit about the motor and mileage.
you get an estimate on the cosmetics then.
once you get it to the shop the estimate can be upped as needed to get it back right.
good luck

1 - 20 of 32 Posts