Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm prepping my Gen2 (2007) ZX-10R for next year's racing season and unfortunately the regulations dictate that we're not allowed Power Commanders or any changes to the intake system, like the removal of the secondary butterflies.

I've got the stock headers with a de-cat pipe and a Leovinci SBK half-system which replaces the exhaust vale pipe with a standard one.

My question is, should I run the O2 sensors with this kind of setup?

Also, does it matter which O2 sensor is connect to which wiring harness connector?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
European model?

In the automotive world, disconnecting O2 sensors makes the engine run crappy. There are backyard ways around this, but they don't really solve the problem. If the stock system has an O2 sensor for the left pair of cylinder and another one for the right pair (which I believe is the case - the corresponding bike over here doesn't have O2 sensors at all, so I've not seen one) then no, you should not mix them up.

I think a little bit of testing is in order, to see if changing the other parts of the exhaust causes problems with the way the bike runs in the absence of a Power Commander.

Normally, O2 sensors are only used in the light load "cruise" region - not at full throttle and possibly not beyond a certain RPM. Outside of that, they run in open loop.

In one case where an engine wasn't running in the air/fuel regime that I wanted it to at full throttle, I've used resistors in series with the air intake temperature sensor, shrink-wrapped and taped into the wiring harness, to trick the system into thinking the air temperature was slightly different from reality ... Just sayin' ...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi GoFaster, thanks for the info!

Yes you're right, its a European model and it does have two O2 sensors, each for one set of cylinders when the headers go from 4 to 2 pipes.

I've connected them as seemed logical, the wires from the harness were different lengths so it seemed to match up.

I just wonder how much the ECU "self-corrects" with the O2 sensors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts