Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 04 zx10r, its lowered 3" rear 2.75" front. I like being able to flat foot as im 5'6 120lbs but im going to try and start riding with groups that take the twistys, not sure which settings are on the dogbone but im assuming its 1.5" and 3" so im curious if its a shitty idea to try corners lowered that much or would I be okay if I get someone knowledgeable to setup my suspension. Also kinda worried about the oil bolt getting snagged but with my weight I don't see that happening, the suspension was so tight it didn't budge when i sat on it but I backed it out 4 turns on the rear and it moves a little, haven't rode with it yet tho. It feels to lean in 100x better then my 02 750 but im not sure, ive eliminated chicken strips on the 750 when following someone but can't do that on my own and im not comfortable with this bike so im def going to take it slow just don't want to risk low siding as I have been there before and it isn't very fun.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Honestly, it sounds like you've made your own mind up! Personally, I'm not a fan of lowered bikes, unless they're for the strip, bar hopping, or show!
But, I understand your situation. My wife is about your height, and I won't lower her R6 or her CBR1KRR. She has learned to only put one foot down at stops. Hell, I am 5'10" and I'm on my tip toes with both feet down.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol well im just not sure if raising it back up 1.5" would help a bunch handling wise or what. I looked like a tard to many times having to get off my bike just to backup! So stock height is def not gunna happen. Really im unbiased on lowered or stock height looks wise. So if the benefit of going to just 1.5" down is great and at 3" down I run a big risk of scraping something hard and/or lowsiding then ill raise it, but if it makes no diff aslong as I get someone to help setup my suspension ill probably keep it at the height its at now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
my advice is to raise it back up, it is the only way to be certain the sharp turns won't mess anything up, my ex got her zx6r lowered 1.75" and it bottoms out at every sharp turn, of course she didn't get stiffer springs put in to make up for the lowering but it still bottom out pretty badly. I'm 5'6" as well and it does take a little time to get used to tip toeing around on the bike but once you do, you won't even notice it.
Also as long as you're not trying to go up a hill when walking it, you shouldn't have to get off, it is just something that takes practice controlling your bike while tip toeing it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ight ill raise it back up to 1.5", assuming thats what is on the dogbone. Doubt itll sacrafice straight line because right now wot 1st from low rpm doesn't even bring the front wheel up >.< Also wheeling would probably generate a problem along with the epic nebraska/iowa roads.
Maybe the gixxer sits higher even at 1.5" lowered, but on that backing up at all is a pain and involves me trying to rock back n forth unless theres a trick to it. Altho I guess the suspension could be too tight never had it adjusted. I know the seat is like 3x thicker too.
Previous owner weighs like 80-100lbs more but had a chick on it and went over some tracks n ripped out the bottom of the oil pan so while thatll prolly not happen to me it tends to keep me worried with bumps, prolly get piece of mind raising it up some.
Thanks for all the help guys, just gunna have to raise it when its nice out and find someone to help adjust the suspension closer to my weight.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol yea I just filled that in. Nobody right now, I actually live in plattsmouth but about to move to omaha. One of my friends got ran over by a semi so he no longer has his bike, lucky guy tho, another has a couple drivin while suspended so he no longer rides. Theres a guy here in town that wants to go riding and im sure he knows people but my schedule is pretty dumb so im only avail to ride sat nights or any morning until like 2pm, unless I alter my sleep schedule but working over nights is a pita.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cut the seat down?! Is there even much to cut... I know my ass has been spoiled with the comfort of my gixxer doesn't seem like theres much left to the seat on the 10r, not sure if its even aftermarket seat or not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just sent you a PM with a link to the group that I ride with. Hope you join in with us, it is usually a fun ride, they love to take those fast, sharp turns.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill have to look into it. I need to rid of my damn suzuki jacket before I actually go into a public group of bikes rofl. I see how much you kawi guys hate gixxers. I went on a group ride that met at petco and ran some highway in like farmland and shit into iowa, was like bb town or some shit, that was pretty damn fun and where I got rid of the chicken strips.
Sucks nobody seems to want to ride at like 9pm on a sat lol or 7am on a weekday, damn normal people jobs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know there was a blue 600 with a transformers thing on it that led the pack some other people not sure what they rode but I know there was a rc51 too. Was gunna try and ride this weekend but sat looks like itll be cold, so maybe next weekend unless i manage to get up early on wed, and if its nice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
it will handle better just raise it back up imo, i have a 18 over stretch with a ridged rear end, my bick doesnt handle nearly as good in the mountains.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
There's about 3 inches that is able to be cut out from the stock seat of an 04/05
:+1:....just pull the staples and get you a nice sharp razor and an electric fillet knife (they work GREAT) to shape-trim the foam.....then you can raise the bike back up to or close to stock height so it will handle MUCH better and you'll still be able to reach the ground.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I looked like a tard to many times having to get off my bike just to backup! So stock height is def not gunna happen.
Getting off the bike to back it up is the best move even if you can flat foot. More control and less chance of slipping and dropping.

I don't think it looks retarded, just the opposite really. Looks like an experienced rider to me. No duck walking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts