Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an 03 Ram, hemi 4dr 4wd blah blah blah. I love my truck, but the dipshits at Chrysler put 3:55 gears in the thing. I went from 17" rims up to the 20's and increased the tire size by a little over an inch.

I did about a 2 hour drive w/ it yesterday and it drove me nuts. we have a lot of rolling hills here and i basically took it out of overdrive because it was dogging so bad.

I want to put 4:10's in it. price should be around $1000 installed. Anyone care to input? w/ the price of fuel on the rise is it worth it (even though my mileage may be a bit better w/ the 4:10's or so i hear).

I tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer to the track and im dreading doing it this summer unless i do a gear swap. :sad:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go back to the 17"rims that came on it.When you changed the tires you raised the gearing both front and aft.To correct it you would have to change the gearing in the rear and front case BOTH.Its not worth the price IMHO.But it you just have to have the 20"wheels do the front and rear gear swap.Ride safe....Les

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
lesleybrownjr said:
Go back to the 17"rims that came on it. When you changed the tires you raised the gearing both front and aft. To correct it you would have to change the gearing in the rear and front case BOTH. Its not worth the price IMHO.But it you just have to have the 20"wheels do the front and rear gear swap. Ride safe....Les
yup the wheel & tire change did the deed not the 3:55's

BD

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sold the 17" wheels. I put the 06 model 20's on it and they look a lot better, i also just dumped $$$ on decent tires.

Most of the trucks that came stock w/ the 20's came w/ 3:92's. From what Ive read on the dodge forums most guys say to go w/ 4:56's, but thats a bit low for my taste.

I drive 2 miles to work and back, so its not a necessity and it will pull the trailer, just takes a bit more work.

It was pretty gutless w/ the 17's on it. (unless your into it all the time) it shifts into overdrive way to early. Im not sure they even offer 3:55's in the 4dr 4wd anymore. I think they stopped after 03.

what about a superchips and adjusting the shifting points?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
One of those reprogrammers should be able to adjust the shift points to match the new tire size. I would think this will help with the hunting, but it's going to cost you mileage. The tall gearing and the early shifting into OD are designed to make fuel consumption less horrible.

I've towed with an automatic before. Never again, I hated it, constant shifting on anything that didn't even look like a hill. Last two vehicles have been diesel and manual transmission ... much better.

·
Banned
333 Posts
I def think you should go to the 4:10s just for the ability to go bigger (tire size) if you wanted to. I have a Powerwagon that came stock with 4:56 and it's fine on both the highway and the normal city stuff. You will notice a difference in your gas mileage though.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
a cheaper alternative might be to find 3.92 equipped axles at a wrecking yard, then selling yours. the rear is super easy to swap, the front is a little harder, but not bad. i did this with a jeep cherokee i had a while ago. check yur local wrecking yards, or even ebay, for used axles with the gears you are looking for. then you can make some of the cash back by selling yours.

·
Banned
363 Posts
I would buy gears or see about a wrecking yard swap. The power programmer will just adjust your speedometer for your tire size it has nothing to do with your shift points. A programmer only adjust shift points per- Towing, Performance, Best fuel econemy.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
depends on what you want really. if you wanna get up and go get 4.10 but if you want some fuel economy get a 3.72 or 3.92. personally I would get the 3.92 best of both worlds. install is a pain in the ass on 4wd trucks i use to do it thats why they charge so much (250-400 per axle)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have 3.92's in my 05 hemi. It's a 4 door 4x4 w/ the 20's. Right now I'm towing a bigger enclosed trailer than you and it's fairly good. Next time around I'll just get a diesel and not worry about torque or hp...I can kick myself for getting a gasser for my last 2 trucks.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
A $1K installed sounds like a ripoff to me.

If you do mostly city driving your milage should increase with the lower gearing since the transmission will be able to get into higher gear faster. But your hwy milage will suck.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andy said:
A $1K installed sounds like a ripoff to me.

If you do mostly city driving your milage should increase with the lower gearing since the transmission will be able to get into higher gear faster. But your hwy milage will suck.

That price will include the gears/parts i need for the install. Im also looking into an Auburn limited slip (mine didnt come w/ one stock..) Which will be another $400.

Im still on the fence about doing it. Ive only had the truck a year, so i dont want to get rid of it and take a loss. :dontknow:

I never thought Id say this, but Im starting to like the new Tundra. But Im not sure I can stray away from my Mopars. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts