Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy got orders, he has a pretty much mint TLR1000, I know they are heavy pigs and old and outdated, but it only has like 2500 miles and looks brand new and he needs to get rid of it, he only wants like 2500 for it. ANybody owned one of these? worth buying? I remember when he got it, I smoked his ass by a football field on my 9R.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Torque monsters. The low and midrange would be fun. Id probably screw around on it for a few hundred miles then sell it.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
If you can flip it to sell it I'd go for it but other wise I wouldn't waste my time on that heavy pig... sure they have some grunt down low but it ends at about 35-40mph lol.... they dont go faster than 165mph stretched out lol...

but if you can sell it and make a lil bit of cash I'd go for it!

·
Registered
178 Posts
They actually handle pretty well and are fun bikes to have. I'd keep it for a yr-ride it see how you like it. Worst case scenario is you sell it after the season for probably more than you bought it for unless you dog it and turn it into crap.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Sounds like a fair price, but won't provide the same excitement asthe 10r. If you decide you don't like it chances are you could make a couple bucks on it or break even at the very least.

·
Registered
332 Posts
dude if ya have 2500.00 to part with thats a screaming deal great motor lot's of go fast potential yes it's a bit heavy but I have actually ridden one for a day in and around the angeles crest area (2) and just had a blast on the bike, great twin power, actually IMO faster then a RC51 of the same year

WTF go for it if it helps out a good buddy and you can part with the extra $ 2500.00
DO IT !

you won't lose any $$ on that deal unless you wad up the bike sounds like it may need some fresh tires though ?

·
Registered
772 Posts
year??? s or r????

either way, if its a clean title, then i's a smoking deal. i would get it just to take to the store and back.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Id have to agree with everyone else. If you can part with the 2500.00 then do it. Worst case you sell it get even MORE mods for the 10s (if thats even possible)

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
year??? s or r????

either way, if its a clean title, then i's a smoking deal. i would get it just to take to the store and back.
I am pretty sure it is the last year they made them whatever that was, it has the blue/white paint and dual yosh Rs-3's on it. He did knock it over in the driveway, but he bought a new side fairing from suzuki. I just may take him up on it. And cut the cans in half and just ride it, it sounds really good, as you would expect.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i wouldnt mess with it unless you really want it. you can still be a good buddy by helping him sell to someone else before he ships out.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
year??? s or r????

Either the S or R model(can't remember which) has a rotary damper engineered by a retarded monkey and was quickly nicknamed 'the widow maker'.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Either the S or R model(can't remember which) has a rotary damper engineered by a retarded monkey and was quickly nicknamed 'the widow maker'.
Thats the R, thats what this is, they actually thought they could compete in SBK with that hokey setup. This bike would not turn into another Blue Max or anything, stictly a bike for messing around on, and then selling, hopefullyu for more than I bought it for. Off to youtube I go to investigate. I know they have a huge TL forum, those guys swear by those things, but they just never impressed me that much. But for 2500$ its almost like a savings account, lol.

·
Banned
307 Posts
i hear some of both on that bike , it has more power then the SV-1000 but the SV-1000 was a better unit as far as repairs ....the TL-1000 had some head gasket issues or some thing....hold it till tax time and make a few bones on it

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Go ahead and grab her up, thats a hell of a deal!! Great bike and you can always flip her down the road.

But I have a buddy that runs one out at the track and he has the 07/08 gsxr1000 sub frame welded on and full fairings on his and it looks sick. Do what you do, but that would be a nice little bike to mess around on...

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Depends on how good of a buddy, and what the bike means to him. If he likes the bike alot, and is coming back someday, why not buy it from him, ride it and take care of it, then when he comes back let him buy it back?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go ahead and grab her up, thats a hell of a deal!! Great bike and you can always flip her down the road.

But I have a buddy that runs one out at the track and he has the 07/08 gsxr1000 sub frame welded on and full fairings on his and it looks sick. Do what you do, but that would be a nice little bike to mess around on...
Thats the worst thing about that bike, the fucking bulbous ass tail section, thats one of those bike the factroy seat cowl actually can go in the trash, the seat looks better.

I am still throwing around the idea, I am thinking I will probably pass, alll my money right now is going into savings for a down payment on a new car.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts