Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, so I sold my 08’ R1 last Friday and I’m looking to get something newer. Been looking at the 13’ BMW s1000rr and my mind was almost set, but I found a 2015 Zx10r with only 5,900 miles a full brocks exhaust, stretched slightly, and lowered a bit for only $7,900 at a dealership. I was there yesterday with cash in hand and was about to pull the trigger on it, but I suddenly got scared because the way it was setup made me think it may have been used as drag racing bike and I didn’t think it was a good a idea to get a bike that may have 5,900 miles primarily from drag-racing. Also, it is priced wayyyyy under the similar ones in my area. AND it was the only sportbike at this dealership (Harley/cruiser dealership). What do you guys think? And is there anyway at all to figure out if the bike was drag raced ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wouldn’t buy it, but that’s just me. Do you want to set your bike up as a drag bike? If so, try to talk them down till you can’t refuse the deal. Being at a Harley dealer is not uncommon, I once traded a really nice gsxr 1000 in on a fat bob :grin2: (I still had a zx10 mind you). The bike has most certainly been drag raced or it wouldn’t be set up like that, at what level, who knows. Could be future engine issues, it’s a crap shoot. If you want a drag bike and not a track/canyon bike offer them way less in case you have to put a new motor in it. 4k out the door...:wink2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn’t buy it, but that’s just me. Do you want to set your bike up as a drag bike? If so, try to talk them down till you can’t refuse the deal. Being at a Harley dealer is not uncommon, I once traded a really nice gsxr 1000 in on a fat bob <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/ZX-10R_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" >:)</a> (I still had a zx10 mind you). The bike has most certainly been drag raced or it wouldn’t be set up like that, at what level, who knows. Could be future engine issues, it’s a crap shoot. If you want a drag bike and not a track/canyon bike offer them way less in case you have to put a new motor in it. 4k out the door...<a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/ZX-10R_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:)</a>
Gotcha man, thanks . Nah, I don’t drag race. But, I also don’t do many twisties or track due to where I live lol. I just enjoy commuting on a bike whenever the weather permits it. Might save a little more and look at 17-18’ Zx10, heard those are actually a little better aren’t they? From your profile pic looks like you have an 18’ don’t ya? That’s the color I’m really wanting because it matches my mustang perfectly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, mine is an 18 model. I got a good deal on it, dealer was getting rid of the prior year models. Thats a good way to get a good price depending on the dealer. It was still brand new, 1 mile or something like that. I’m really liking it so far, great bike, I have no complaints. All the japanese bikes are good, I’ve always been a fan of kawasaki and suzuki but they are all good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, mine is an 18 model. I got a good deal on it, dealer was getting rid of the prior year models. Thats a good way to get a good price depending on the dealer. It was still brand new, 1 mile or something like that. I’m really liking it so far, great bike, I have no complaints. All the japanese bikes are good, I’ve always been a fan of kawasaki and suzuki but they are all good.
Gotcha man, she’s a beauty for sure. Really wanting an 18 bad, but they are still $12-14,000 around here. But strangely, all other 2018 makes are dropping. If you don’t mind me asking how much did you pay for yours ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I paid 12k, the dealer had installed a yosh pipe and power commander 5. Which I took off and went with an ecu flash and a graves low mount. Just be patient and keep looking, I’m sure a great deal will pop up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid 12k, the dealer had installed a yosh pipe and power commander 5. Which I took off and went with an ecu flash and a graves low mount. Just be patient and keep looking, I’m sure a great deal will pop up.
Will do man, thanks a lot ! Ever had any experience with a 13’ S1000rr ? I know this is a kawi forum, but I found one for $8,400 not a scratch on the bike and only 6,000 miles. Heard some people that say it is the best bike money can buy, and others say stay away lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I honestly don’t know anything about the BMW’s. I would probably price some parts for it compared to the Japanese
parts and see if they are comparable. Just make sure the cost of ownership isnt going to be really high. Insurance, labor charges, etc. parts availability is something to consider as well. They might be great bikes, I really don’t know so I don’t want to say anything negative about them. The big 4 is really hard to beat when it comes to sport bikes though, the Japanese do a great job in that category.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts