Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a screw in my rear tire sometime today. It didn't go in too deep but I don't know if it was deep enough to cause a leak. I removed the screw and didn't hear any air escaping. I also sprayed some windex on it and didn't notice any bubbles.

I checked the tire pressure and will check it again in the morning. If it's leaking should I get it patched or plugged or should I buy a new tire? It's a Pirelli Diablo Strada and still has a lotta life in it!

Suggestions???

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I would ride it as is if it is not leaking... but if you want to feel safer, go ahead and plug it!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah keep a eye on it if it did not go all the way through the tyre.. also where was it at right in the center ??? I know I had somethign once in one of my tyres like that and dug it out and no leaks but took it out and burned the rear tyre up a little bit just melt the rubber back together LOL and it worked out fine for me LOL. put some air in it before ya go to bed and in am check to see if its still holding the #/PSI... hopefully it is... oh and another thing if your really worried bout it is to put almost the max air presure in it and spray a soapy solution on the area and see if it bubbles... if its gonna leak it will show up that way ...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was right on the "chicken strip" area. Not all the way on the edge but kinda close to it. Maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the edge.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It was right on the "chicken strip" area. Not all the way on the edge but kinda close to it. Maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the edge.
Well, with that in mind if it leaks even the slightest I would get a new one. Or if you plan on doing more than 70-80mph I would get a new one...

·
Registered
641 Posts
you're prob fine. If it's not leaking, don't plug it! The only reason to plug is if there's a leak. No leak, no plug. I refrain from giving people advice on tires even though I used to manage a tire shop as I told a friend her tires could go another 1000 miles or so, and she had a blowout that week on the freeway =(

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
You can deflate the tire and put a patch on the inside for insurance....just mark where it is mounted on the wheel so you don't have to re-balance...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I checked the air pressure again before I went to sleep last night. I wanted to give it time to cool off because I knew that once the tire had cooled off the air pressure would be lower. It was at 28 last night. Got up and checked it again this morning and it was still at 28! Rode to work and it raised up to 29 or 30 (can't remember).

So now I know I need to add some air, but I also know that it's not leaking!

Thanks for the help fellas!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts