Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A transaction was made here between me and a member. The member was asked if he wanted delivery confirmation, Insurance, or any other services on the shipment. He denied. I ship the package via USPS and dropped it in the drop box right in front of the post office. The package is no where to be found, it probably got lost, stolen, who knows. It was never scanned into the system.

Who should take responsibility? :dontknow:Me or the buyer who cheaped out on $2 bucks instead of insuring his package or getting delivery confirmation?

If he paid the extra I would of waited in that long Christmas line @ the post office to put those services on, but instead I printed the electronic label and dropped it in the drop box?

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
they wont claim responsibility unless you got insurance prolly...

well maybe take responsibility but wont give you nothin...

tough call, but not getting insurance on it...is your own fault...

however, I bought it...I'd wonder if you weren't lying about shipping it altogether...

:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I ALWAYS use delivery confirmation, not always insurance though. But the delivery confirmation at least takes the blame off me and shows that the item was actually shipped.

i dunno about your situation though, viewing it from both sides its not an easy one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
A lot of sellers clearly state that they will not be held responsible for uninsured, lost shipment. Sounds like you implied that when you asked the buyer if insurance was desired. If it was declined as you say, looks like the risk was accepted by the buyer. Just my perspective. Whatever makes your clock tick is the real answer, I suppose...:dontknow:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hillcountry10r said:
however, I bought it...I'd wonder if you weren't lying about shipping it altogether...

:dontknow:
:+1:... that is true... I would think the same thing myself if I was the buyer but I also probably would of opt for the insurance or at least delivery confirmation.

The item was only $40. Under normal circumstances I probably would give a partial or maybe full refund which I considered until I went to the post office one more time just to try and figure out things, I even had them open the drop box up for me, anyways I was struck by a car and I'm without a hand(a few broken bones) and my bike(my only means of transport).

·
Registered
777 Posts
What do you mean it was never "scanned in"? If it was just a postage label why would there be a need to scan it? Whenever I sell something, I take my pkgs into the post office and get a receipt- just to prove I handed a box to somebody. You're in a tough spot with no proof that you dropped it in the box. (not that you didn't, but you know what I'm saying)

·
Registered
152 Posts
UPS does the scanning thing. USPS has receipts. i work with packages a lot for my job. we are always having to track missing packages. it depends on how big the package was. certain sizes are too big for the drop off box. imo, USPS should be used for letters only, UPS should be ussed for packages.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If you have a tracking number then you shouldn't be liable for it.. but if you don't have anything, who's to say you actually sent the thing at all.. and a full refund is in order.. One of the perks of working where I am is having full access to the shipping department for what ever reason. Oh BTW those who just purchased items from me should receive PM's in the next couple hours with TRACKING NUMBERS

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I would definately have made sure I had some sort of verification that the parcel was sent, just to cover myself. From there onwards if the buyer never wanted insurance on the parcel then it is his problem.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Alor14582 said:
A transaction was made here between me and a member. The member was asked if he wanted delivery confirmation, Insurance, or any other services on the shipment. He denied. I ship the package via USPS and dropped it in the drop box right in front of the post office. The package is no where to be found, it probably got lost, stolen, who knows. It was never scanned into the system.

Who should take responsibility? :dontknow:Me or the buyer who cheaped out on $2 bucks instead of insuring his package or getting delivery confirmation?

If he paid the extra I would of waited in that long Christmas line @ the post office to put those services on, but instead I printed the electronic label and dropped it in the drop box?
As i eluded to in my PM the buyer has the choice to accept or decline Ins, delivery sig confirmation etc but it doesn't make him cheap and it surely doesn't make him at fault for the actual transaction between 2 parties.

I'm with others that believe the USPS is at fault here but proving to them you actually did print a label and dropped it into the box is on you not the buyer.

Bottom line here is there's a happy medium to be reached if both parties can reach an agreement but trying to put it off because the buyer chose to forgo Ins, sig confir has no merit here.

BD

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
i just had something similar happen to me, shipped a cell phone to a friend and it vanished. went to the USPS office, filled out this paper work, and like a month later, WHALA!! package arrived at destination. But i had to wait 4 weeks after my mail date to start the process.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I would feel responsible if I sent it.Shit happens , I sent a cast iron head up to NC once and when it got there the thing had rusted up because USPS left it out in the rain with a huge tear down the side of the box, I paid the shipping both ways, reworked the head and sent it back up to the guy wrapped in so much tape it would have took a week to open it, not really my fault, but my responsibility.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Lets put it this way, would you be wanting your money back if you ordered something online and it got lost ??

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Since the first hour I lurked here this site has always given me the sense of "Honor among Men," and the majority always seems to feel this way. There is an honorable resolution to be made and has been eluded to earlier in this thread. (Offer some type of reasonable return or prove shipping.)

·
Registered
828 Posts
my .02, i send a lot of stuff through usps, mainly because UPS and FEDEX are quite a drive from where I live and I'm too lazy to do the online crap, but for .50, get delivery confirmation, you get a tracking number and it has to be scanned right in front of you, so you know it's in the system, not your responsibility anymore, but in the case above, what more does a man have than his word, i've put trust in people on this site by buying stuff from them, my paypal account wasn't working at the time and I used money orders, you can't track a money order. I am a standup guy, and I would hope that eveyone on this site hold the same values as it do. All my transactions went through without a hitch, sure I will probably never see 99% of the people on here face to face, but I would like to think of everyone here as my friends and be able to trust that they will do the right thing.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
The way I ship items is to review a few questions in mind first if they don’t want to pay insurance or other tracking costs.

Question. Do I know the person who I am shipping to or at least have a reputation that I can get some character background such as from past sellers such as ebay has reported?
Answer. If not, then I spend the extra money to get tracking information.

Question. Is this a high dollar item that I am not willing to suck up if it gets lost.
Answer. Have an amount in your head what you’re willing to payback if someone says they did not receive an item and refund fully no regrets. If not, pay for the tracking or insurance yourself.

If you ship many items per month I would suggest getting a Stamps.com account like I have. An account like this allows you to print your own labels and send them Priority mail with tracking. NO STANDING IN LINE AT THE POST OFFICE :headshake:

Now, since it’s too late since it has already been shipped, then there is only 1 question left.

What is my Reputation worth? $40? If so, repay the money like rocketracermike said and consider it a lesson learned.

PS…also check the address he gave you to see if it was legit. You can call the Post office and they can confirm it. If it’s not your off the hook.

bloo

·
Registered
416 Posts
USPS insures everything up to $100 dollars no matter what..... so if it's less than a bill your good to go....:thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
zxerboy22 said:
USPS insures everything up to $100 dollars no matter what..... so if it's less than a bill your good to go....:thumbsup:
True, but he dropped it in a box, so he never got a reciept...they won't insure that unless it was scanned at some point.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts