Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gen 3 10 runs great, (not sure if its running 100%?) :dontknow: Its stock with 3000 miles and I have an Area P slip on that sounds great but after I installed it, it seems like the engine kind of surges at idle and doesn't quite level out. I was told that the air/fuel ratio would be in line and that I wouldn't NEED fuel management but I'm not quite sure about that.

The bike runs very strong, doesn't seem to be running hot, but this surging kind of concerns me. Is it running lean maybe? And if it is, is it running lean to the point where it is damaging the life of the motor? Should I just get a pwr comm 3 and be done with it? It really does run well so I've kind of put this off a bit, and PCIIIs are not exactly cheap:headshake

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not to thread jack, but i believe i've got the same exhaust on my first gen, minus the logo on the side. How do you like it so far, its just a bit loud for my liking under WOT conditions. P.S. do you have any larger images of your bike with the exhaust, i searched around and could not find any.....

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to thread jack, but i believe i've got the same exhaust on my first gen, minus the logo on the side. How do you like it so far, its just a bit loud for my liking under WOT conditions. P.S. do you have any larger images of your bike with the exhaust, i searched around and could not find any.....
I spent a good amount of time searching and I am very pleased w the sound. Its a 12" can with a 2.5 inch core and sounds like a cross between an akrapovic and leo vince... throaty but clean. Gave me a huge weight savings by eliminating the pre-muffler that comes on the 3rd gens and seemed to give me quite a bit more hp and torque even w out fuel management. Cost me almost 500 though, but I thought it was worth it because according to area p's dyno it increases hp by 12. It almost sounds like the 2011(almost:mrgreen:) in the latest teaser vid. when Sykes gets on it round those corners. Here's a better pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an 08 once with AREA P, same size can, no surging at idle without PC. Can you post a Youtube vid of it?
Yea I'll try to take a vid and put it on tomor.(computer and technology challenged:sad:) Its a slight surging and doesnt seem to effect the performance at all. Maybe its supposed to sound that way?:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does it help if you turn your idle up a tad, say 1100-1200 rpm..or have you tried that?.
Havent tried that, doesn't seem like it needs that. You know how after your bike warms up it seems to level out or smoothen out? It runs smooth, but surges or SOUNDS like it surges slightly. Don't know.. I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to my bike so maybe its my imagination. I'll try and post a vid tomor to get some opinions.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Does it surge at all times, or just as it warms up?
If its surging while warm you are probably running lean and the bike is trying to cool off by trying to get a bit more gas in there.

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
When i first put on my racefit it would do that too, have normal idle just surge 100 rpms or so. Nothing to be concerned about and it will most likely fade away, but if you get a chance to throw on a PC do it, stock mapping is terrible IME.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even warm. Its slight though. If its running slightly lean is it harmful? If its not effecting the performance? Ordering a PCIII today, actually my girl is being sweet and getting it for me:cool: I guess shes sick of hearing about it:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it surge at all times, or just as it warms up?
If its surging while warm you are probably running lean and the bike is trying to cool off by trying to get a bit more gas in there.
Installed a PC3 with an Akra map and the surging is gone. Bike runs cooler, although it wasn't running too hot before. Also added Ivans TRE. Feels like a new bike. Was going to gear it down one in the front but don't think its necessary now:mrgreen: Can't say enough about the difference the TRE made on this bike. The K.I.M.S. really neuters the gen 3 and the TRE took care of that:badteeth: Gas mileage is also better. Well worth the $$$.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts