Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine got Savage BA110 in .338 Lapua and Vortex Scope. Going by GPS (we didn't have a range finder) we were hitting a 3ft rock from 1500 yards.:eyecrazy: I was surprized it didn't kick that bad. We had a blanket down so when we were spotting next to it with his other rifle's 3-9x50 scope the mussle blast was brutal.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Yeah, that Lapua round is pretty amazing...

it's only draw back is terminal balistics, As with most .30 cal rounds, it has a tough time holding energy at long range. Against soft targets it will get the job done, but add any armor, it's not going to penitrate.

Muzzle energy is 1/2 M V squared, where M is the mass of the projectile and V is the velocity. You can see that if you double the mass... you double the muzzle energy, but if you double the velocity, you 4x the energy. Mass doesn't change over the distance but the velocity does.

To get some real punch out past 1000m, you have to add some mass to the round. The first sniper rifles were .30-06, good all around round. .308 was better... then the battle rounds of .50 BMG.... and even some 20mm bolt action rifles were developed.

the .338 Lapua gets back to the basic "area of denial" doctrine that snipers have been charged with doing for years.

.50 BMG vs 20mm Cannon round

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't imagine shooting a 20mm.

I want to see what a .338 doesn't to a deer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts