Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my current x-11 is nine years old and needs replacement. The x-14 does not fit me:crying:

I found a good deal online on an x-12 Bautista (Red) for $645, but the build date is Dec 2012. I know the helmet doesn't magically disintegrate at the 7 year mark, but its a lot of cash for an older helmet.

Advice/Opinions on spending that kind of cash on a helmet that's halfway through its life span? Who really pays attention to helmet life spans anyway?

Cheers,
Chris

·
Vendor
6,877 Posts
So my current x-11 is nine years old and needs replacement. The x-14 does not fit me:crying:

I found a good deal online on an x-12 Bautista (Red) for $645, but the build date is Dec 2012. I know the helmet doesn't magically disintegrate at the 7 year mark, but its a lot of cash for an older helmet.

Advice/Opinions on spending that kind of cash on a helmet that's halfway through its life span? Who really pays attention to helmet life spans anyway?

Cheers,
Chris
Devils advocate here, have you tried on the RF-1200? What type of riding do you do? Racing or just street use. The RF-1200 has made vast improvements over previous years and will fit differently than a X-14. Just a thought is all, spending $645 for a an X-12 doesn't make any sense to me. Example: Closeout X-12 Kato helmet for $474.54 with free shipping in the US ONLY. I can get you into something else if need be.

On the life expectancy of a helmet question: Everyone will have their own opinion. I do consider life expectancy of a helmet to be 7 years. If it is dropped or crashed it automatically should be replaced. Parts and accessories for these helmets are harder to get as the manufacture quits making them after a certain time. They would prefer you do not wear their helmet after a point is why they do this, and yes also because they want you to buy a new helmet. :mrgreen:

Feel free to give me a call Chris with any questions or shoot me a PM if I can help you out, I am a site sponsor and take care of our forum members.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Devils advocate here, have you tried on the RF-1200? What type of riding do you do? Racing or just street use. The RF-1200 has made vast improvements over previous years and will fit differently than a X-14. Just a thought is all, spending $645 for a an X-12 doesn't make any sense to me. Example: Closeout X-12 Kato helmet for $474.54 with free shipping in the US ONLY. I can get you into something else if need be.

On the life expectancy of a helmet question: Everyone will have their own opinion. I do consider life expectancy of a helmet to be 7 years. If it is dropped or crashed it automatically should be replaced. Parts and accessories for these helmets are harder to get as the manufacture quits making them after a certain time. They would prefer you do not wear their helmet after a point is why they do this, and yes also because they want you to buy a new helmet. :mrgreen:

Feel free to give me a call Chris with any questions or shoot me a PM if I can help you out, I am a site sponsor and take care of our forum members.
Thank you for the reply.

I'm now confined to street riding only. I now live in a part of Canada with no tracks available.

I like the RF series. I've owned an RF 800,900 and 1000 in the past. I moved to the x-11 and love it. I know the x series in overkill on the street. If i was to order a new RF1200 it would cost over $700. This being Canada we get raped on everything. So $645 for an x-12 seemed pretty good when they cost about $1200 new.

As much as i want to support a site sponsor, and I like the Kato replica that you have, with the exchange rate it comes to $628 and then i have to find a way to get it here.

I appreciate the help, you make very good points. i think you're right and will have to spend the extra and go with a new RF-1200

Cheers,
Chris

·
Vendor
6,877 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

I'm now confined to street riding only. I now live in a part of Canada with no tracks available.

I like the RF series. I've owned an RF 800,900 and 1000 in the past. I moved to the x-11 and love it. I know the x series in overkill on the street. If i was to order a new RF1200 it would cost over $700. This being Canada we get raped on everything. So $645 for an x-12 seemed pretty good when they cost about $1200 new.

As much as i want to support a site sponsor, and I like the Kato replica that you have, with the exchange rate it comes to $628 and then i have to find a way to get it here.

I appreciate the help, you make very good points. i think you're right and will have to spend the extra and go with a new RF-1200

Cheers,
Chris

Glad I could help! On a side note we are not able to ship Shoei outside of the US so couldn't help if I wanted to. :thumbsup:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,727 Posts
I've noticed that nobody can. Can i ask why?

Cheers

The helmets are made and certified for sale based on the region's they're sold in. Can't sell a DOT helmet in Europe, and Snell rated only helmets don't comply with DOT requirements. I'm not saying they aren't any better or even different, but it's about the safety sticker on the back and the sellers agreement for doing it.

PS- 5 years is considered the shelf life for helmets these days. I'd still wear one past that point, but I wouldn't buy one. I've done a few track days where they check the born on date during the tech inspection. Five years and done. Go with the RF1200. Great helmet!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Skydork,

Dam Shoei changing their shell shape. I really wanted that X-14 Kagayama when it comes out.

So i've always only owned Shoei, but the other day at the Motorcycle Show i tried on the new Arai Signet-X. Wow, what an amazing fit. Arai changed to their new less stupid shield changing system on that model, so maybe now its an option. Opinions on the Signet-X over the RF-1200??? The Arai is about $100 more here BTW

Cheers,

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
Get what you think is the best for you. I scan the market for my fav helmet that is now no longer made.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't wear the x-14 for more than 10s when I first got it. Swapped out the temple pads and it fit better than any helmet I've had yet. It's easy to do and if the store has all sizes you should be able to make it work by swapping pads.
I've only ever seen 1 X-14 here in Calgary at a dealership. Nobody here wants to bring them in, they all say they'll order whatever size i need, so i don't have a chance to mix and match pads. Once its ordered i own it even if it doesn't fit. I've been to 4-5 dealerships and they really could care less is the impression i get.

Alberta sucks for buying any gear (probably because most people here are squids). It was so much easier when i lived in Ontario to get what i need. My only option is to order online.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that sucks. Have you tried one on at all?
I've tried 3 different larges on (Local store, MC Show, Cycle Gear in Cali). They all fit different but i've never had the opportunity to swap pads around because it was the only one in stock.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have an RF-1200 and a Signet-Q, I think, and this is really splitting hairs, I like the RF better, however, the Signet-X is supposed to be a vast improvement, and will most likely be my next helmet.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Alberta sucks for buying any gear (probably because most people here are squids). It was so much easier when i lived in Ontario to get what i need. My only option is to order online.
First I'll apologize for possibly derailing this thread. I've got to ask you what you mean by your area "sucks for buying any gear probably because most people are squids." Are you saying the price you pay for gear is a sign of your skill level on a motorcycle?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,727 Posts
First I'll apologize for possibly derailing this thread. I've got to ask you what you mean by your area "sucks for buying any gear probably because most people are squids." Are you saying the price you pay for gear is a sign of your skill level on a motorcycle?
I'm betting he meant that because most people don't/won't spend the money on proper gear (because they're squids), that most shops don't keep a good amount of stuff in-stock, so the selection sucks and the prices are high. I've seen the same sort of thing here in FL with there being no helmet law. Dealers won't have a large selection of expensive helmets because people don't buy them, so it's hard to shop for them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm betting he meant that because most people don't/won't spend the money on proper gear (because they're squids), that most shops don't keep a good amount of stuff in-stock, so the selection sucks and the prices are high. I've seen the same sort of thing here in FL with there being no helmet law. Dealers won't have a large selection of expensive helmets because people don't buy them, so it's hard to shop for them.
Bingo

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd agree and it sucks. In my area bike & gear sales have plummeted and been replaced by utv the market. It's the only thing keeping shops in business. Now, with really great customer service & return policies from online vendors, I make most of my purchases online. OP, take a look at fortnine (canada vendor), prices at least seem competitive. On a side note, why are you so firm on sticking with Shoei? In my opinion, far better alternatives have come on the market with more features, superior materials and lower prices i.e the Bell Star line.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd agree and it sucks. In my area bike & gear sales have plummeted and been replaced by utv the market. It's the only thing keeping shops in business. Now, with really great customer service & return policies from online vendors, I make most of my purchases online. OP, take a look at fortnine (canada vendor), prices at least seem competitive. On a side note, why are you so firm on sticking with Shoei? In my opinion, far better alternatives have come on the market with more features, superior materials and lower prices i.e the Bell Star line.
I've always been a Shoei guy. On my 4th now. I like the way they feel on my head. I thought about AGV buy they don't feel right. The Signet-X may be an option now that the shield replacement has been improved.

Never tried a Bell. Maybe if i see one at a dealer i'll try it on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've always been a Shoei guy. On my 4th now. I like the way they feel on my head. I thought about AGV buy they don't feel right. The Signet-X may be an option now that the shield replacement has been improved.

Never tried a Bell. Maybe if i see one at a dealer i'll try it on.
Right on. The Bell Race star has the new flex line taken from the motorcross line redirect glancing blows. Pretty slick

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the RF1200 is out. Was just at the dealer and they had a few on clearance. Spent 10-15 mins in it and it started to push on my forehead. 30 mins later its still hurting;

Tried on a Bell but didn't like it either.

So its either,
-Order a 4 year old X-12 for $645
-get new interior pads of my X-11 and use it one more year
-or spend over $1000 on a Signet-X and Arai doesn't have a graphic scheme i even like all that much. I also don't have $1000

1 - 20 of 26 Posts