Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has used both helmets tell me the differences between the two??? I already have a rf1000 and a suomy spec1r. Im trying to justify buying a x-11 when i already have a rf1000... Im basically looking for the difference in quietness and airflow. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
IMO, they're not that different. I went with an x11 because the cost difference was minimal, but for retail to retail I would have bought the rf1000. It does breath quite a bit more, but I don't tend to sweat a ton, even in an rf. The rf is quieter, but not enough for me to get rid of the x. Keep in mind, Shoei just introduced the RF1100 and X-12 online, too. Might be better options, just don't know how much first hand exp you'll get on either.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have an X11 and it's very nice. The gf has a 1000 and she likes it. I think it comes down to graphics and head shape

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I have both...I like my X-11 because you can remove ALL the pads and wash them.....in addition it seems to breathe better and fit a bit better than my RF-1000....

·
Registered
781 Posts
i used to distribute helmets:

X11- Slightly heavier than the rf1000 believe it or not due to the shell being a tad bit harder
i forget the name of the line inside i believe it is "dry cool" that might be arai but none the less is is a quick wicking low moisture liner.
Definitely ventilates a lot more which also equals more noise

Rf1000 is like a base x11 except the shell construction is a little different. Cant give specifics because their shell compositions remain their trade secret.

Ventilates less which equates to the helmet being a tad bit quieter.
also different shell shape to accommodate narrower shaped heads from what i observed while i was in my bike shop days.

both use the same 2mm lens
both have hexagonal foam cells for their eps liner
both 5 yr warranty (thats the longest a helmet is safe for regardless if it has not hit the ground, think of old foam beer coolers)

:wave: ask more questions i know about most of the top end helmets like i know the back of my hand :)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys! Really appreciate it...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
RF-1000 fits my head good. I like how it fits. Both are good helmets. I say try both and see which one you like. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
X-11 is the more "racing" line, and RF1000 is one class "lower". Simple as that.
The main difference is that the X-11 has better ventilation and aerodynamics and also that the interiors are fully removable(whereas in the 1000, only the cheekpads come off).
BtW, a newer model for the X-11 is about to come out (much like the new 1100 that replaced the RF1000), and as a result the prices have dropped insanely and now match the inferior RF1000's price.
your best bet is to buy an X-11 online (and preferably from european e-shops, due to better pricing.)

·
Registered
781 Posts
^^^ how about the Scorpion EXO1000 ?? what ya know about that ??
Scorpion exo 1000,

fiberglass shell, exactly the same composision as their 400 and 700 series helmets.

internal sun screen, i never got any feedback on a crash but i dont think that
would be a good item to have in your face.

pump up cheek pads(convenient for people who have thicker faces or get un
comfortable with tight cheekpads. A helmet needs to be snug around the crown of your head not your face)

Ventilates pretty good but not comparable to an rx7 or rsr2

Heavy helmet

Considered more of a touring helmet

IMO their 700 series would be the best bang for the buck, but when we first started getting scorpoin helmets, i thought they were too heavy

They are a safe helmet if fitted properly but a heavy helmet causes neck fatigue and can also provide the means for easier neck injury

·
Registered
781 Posts
X-11 is the more "racing" line, and RF1000 is one class "lower". Simple as that.
The main difference is that the X-11 has better ventilation and aerodynamics and also that the interiors are fully removable(whereas in the 1000, only the cheekpads come off).
BtW, a newer model for the X-11 is about to come out (much like the new 1100 that replaced the RF1000), and as a result the prices have dropped insanely and now match the inferior RF1000's price.
your best bet is to buy an X-11 online (and preferably from european e-shops, due to better pricing.)
Prices drop because of aging helmets, always check the production date on the chin strap...

If you pay $350 for an x11 and it was produced in say 04, you just bought a paper weight and that helmet is no longer safe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It goes without saying, that I am not talking of price drops on some specific older designs that are in stock. I am referring to a price drop in the entire X-11 range due to the new helmet coming out, and I guess, since you are in the business, you can confirm that general price drop.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yes but that is also due to the manufacturing process being terminated almost a year ago. It takes roughly one year for a helmet to be manufactured shipped and received at your local shops etc. You might see a few bucks dropping but anything major should be questioned. Unfortunately the helmet business can be very shady, especially used helmets. I just miss the days when i could get them at cost through tucker rocky or sullivans :suicide:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh well, I could never see myself buying a used helmet and I will never understand those that do.
However I am willing to go to great lengths to get good stuff at a fair price. Last year I bought an Arai RX7 RR5 (or GP if you like) to replace my aging XR1000 (or RF1000). I had it independently imported directly from Japan and I had it in my hands before those helmets were officially distributed in Europe (so of course it was newly produced), for exactly HALF the price.
I just mentioned that to say that of course something is usually fishy when prices are ridiculously low, but some research SOMETIMES does wonders.
Cheers.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Prices drop because of aging helmets, always check the production date on the chin strap...

If you pay $350 for an x11 and it was produced in say 04, you just bought a paper weight and that helmet is no longer safe.
so what is the rough shelf-life of a helmet these days?

·
Team Green Baby!
2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
1,519 Posts
I was seriously considered buying an rf1000 but chose an RKT101 Carbon instead; mainly for the cost and carbon fiber shell. So far I really like it, it is so lightweight and air flow is very good. I was borrowing my friend's gmax and it's night and day! Don't mean to thread jack but Bigprfed22, what are your thoughts about the rkt101 Carbon? Since you have an expertise on helmets. :mrgreen: I bought it for 340 shipped but if you do your shopping online, it can be had for under 300. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
781 Posts
I was seriously considered buying an rf1000 but chose an RKT101 Carbon instead; mainly for the cost and carbon fiber shell. So far I really like it, it is so lightweight and air flow is very good. I was borrowing my friend's gmax and it's night and day! Don't mean to thread jack but Bigprfed22, what are your thoughts about the rkt101 Carbon? Since you have an expertise on helmets. :mrgreen: I bought it for 340 shipped but if you do your shopping online, it can be had for under 300. Thanks in advance!
the rocket carbon is made by hjc, it is their carbon helmet with rockets name on it. A good look but the carbon fiber is stiff. Still a good helmet but in comparison for other helmets in the 5 range it is not equipped with very many luxuries.

Shark(which i praise because i use and their theory is superior) proved that a softer shell iis actually better than a harder one. Carbon Kevlar flexes and dissipates more energy that say fiber glass.

I always told people to think of helmets as cars with options etc. test ride them(obviously that cant happen) but you never know until you put them on your head and they fit PROPERLY. 90% of people on the street have a badly fitted helmet.

An easy test put your helmet on and leave it unstrapped

Grab the face mask part of the helmet and hold it tight

then roll your head back as far as you can get it.

If it rolls think of it the worst possible way... you hit the ground face first the helmet rolls on you then breaks your nose/jaw sometimes.

not to scare anyone but try it

·
Registered
223 Posts
In addition to what has already been said, one of the biggest differences between the X-11 and RF1000 is the stability at high speeds when turning your head from side to side. The X-11 is amazingly stable, while the RF1000 will tend to lift a bit. The X is a lot louder than the rf due to the vents. The RF is one of the quietest helmets on the market. Both are great helmets!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Same mag, rf1000 is .3lbs heavier, or almost 5oz. Don't get me wrong, both are light, but the X-11 is noticably lighter.

sources: X-11 - http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/396/103/Motorcycle-Article/Shoei-X-11-Helmet-Review.aspx

rf1000 - http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/537/110/Motorcycle-Article/Shoei-RF-1000-Helmet-Review.aspx
In another shoei thread. If you don't mind me asking, who did you distribute helmets for bigpfred? The X-11 is lighter than the RF1000, and often lighter than the carbon lids due to the proprietary shell composition. I'm not going to argue snell vs. ece (hard vs. soft shells), they both have their points. However, it's worth mentioning that HJC was slow to produce their first carbon lid because they experimented with several different hardeners and weaves to make sure it distributed impact rather than reverberate it. They're not the same thing as the early vemar lid.

Sorry to rant, but there are many half-truths and opinions being set forth as fact.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts