Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just adding this because I need to vent a little.

I've ALWAYS ridden with Shoei X-11. From 2000 until 2015. I recently changed bike brands from Suzuki to Kawasaki and figured I'd also change helmet brands. Everyone else likes them, why can't I?

Well I've had my Arai Corsair V Hayden 5 for about a week now and almost 500 hard miles on my bike and I have to say....I'm NOT impressed.

My X-11 was MUCH more aerodynamic and ventilation is about the same. My X-11 would actually lock into a windstream at high speeds and if you tried turning your head it felt like the helmet would click into and out of position in the windstream. I loved that. It would literally hold your head straight.

The Corsair V seams like just a regular helmet. Nothing spectacular. Ventilation is good. Padding is nice. Smells good. Nice visibility inside looking out (same as the X-11). Just nothing really jumps out and says HEY IM WORTH $800-$900+.

I've been thinking this for a couple days now.

I got the bike up to about 165 today going down 805 southbound and the helmet really does nothing except mash against my mouth.

After digging around the Internet looking into riders who ride and swear by Arai I noticed something that's slightly ironic. Nicky Hayden's helmet. Look at the actual helmet he rides with. Notice the added aerodynamic clear plastic pieces he added to it...? Yea...looks just like the shape of the Shoei X-11, RF1200, and Shoei X-12.

Just blows, I knew I should have went with the X-12. Smh. :headshake:

·
Formerly "bms"
416 Posts
So I'm just adding this because I need to vent a little.

I've ALWAYS ridden with Shoei X-11. From 2000 until 2015. I recently changed bike brands from Suzuki to Kawasaki and figured I'd also change helmet brands. Everyone else likes them, why can't I?

Well I've had my Arai Corsair V Hayden 5 for about a week now and almost 500 hard miles on my bike and I have to say....I'm NOT impressed.

My X-11 was MUCH more aerodynamic and ventilation is about the same. My X-11 would actually lock into a windstream at high speeds and if you tried turning your head it felt like the helmet would click into and out of position in the windstream. I loved that. It would literally hold your head straight.

The Corsair V seams like just a regular helmet. Nothing spectacular. Ventilation is good. Padding is nice. Smells good. Nice visibility inside looking out (same as the X-11). Just nothing really jumps out and says HEY IM WORTH $800-$900+.

I've been thinking this for a couple days now.

I got the bike up to about 165 today going down 805 southbound and the helmet really does nothing except mash against my mouth.

After digging around the Internet looking into riders who ride and swear by Arai I noticed something that's slightly ironic. Nicky Hayden's helmet. Look at the actual helmet he rides with. Notice the added aerodynamic clear plastic pieces he added to it...? Yea...looks just like the shape of the Shoei X-11, RF1200, and Shoei X-12.

Just blows, I knew I should have went with the X-12. Smh. :headshake:
Try out the HJC RPHA 10. It's a really nice helmet for a great price. I love mine. It's lighter than my friends arai and shoei and still DOT/SNELL approved.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,781 Posts
I'm with you on that! I'm not a fan of Arai. Primarily because I have a more rounded head shape and the Arai's fit me like crap putting pressure on my forehead in a weird way. That and I don't like the shield mechanism and the fact that the shield doesn't fully open out of the field of view. I'm on like my 7th or 8th Shoei over the course of the last 20 years and they just keep getting better with each new model. The RF-1200 is a great helmet. The only other helmet I've bought besides them is a Bell RS-1. THAT is a nice helmet as well! It has some idiosyncrasies, but is a comparable helmet to the Shoei that is a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's funny how preferences are. For all the reasons you don't like the Arai, I like it; and for the reasons you like the Shoei, I don't.

For instance, to me, the Arai has a much more aerodynamic feel because it puts less stress on my neck whereas the Shoei puts a lot of stress on my neck. Of course I use my helmets strictly on the track and haven't ridden "fast" on the street in probably over a decade, so I turn my head a LOT. With the Shoei doing the whole "head lock" as you describe it's a terrible feeling on the track. In a straight line I guess it would be ok, but on the track, it's not comfortable at all.

I bought my first Arai when I was 17 (1987) and have been a fan ever since. The only other helmet I liked as much as the Arai was a couple of Suomy helmets I had as backups. The most important thing I learned about buying an Arai is to get them fit before I bought them. The right cheek pads, the right head shape, etc. They have changed over the years too which meant that if I bought a Signet GT one year they may not be the same fit as the Corsair 2 years later even though they were both "long oval" or whatever. Arai has never been a helmet most can just buy off the shelf and be happy with the fit.

All that said, just like with suspension and other facets of riding fast, what works for me may not work for you at all. Everyone has a preference.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've always like Arai but they don't fit my dome well with glasses one. I've had the Shoei Neotec, RF-1100, GT-Air, and RF-1200 (current one) and I've love them all. The GT-Air, I did not keep too long as it was geared more towards touring so the wind noise was insane when I'm on my 10 and it was a lot more narrow than the other Shoeis. But I love the RF-1200. I've tried several Arai's on in the past and they just don't fit me quit as well plus I felt pressure points on several helmets that I wore so that was a no go for me.
Btw, how was the X-11? I was thinking about picking up the X-12 before I go the 1200, but decided on the latter instead.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, when riding on the track the X11 doesn't lock into the windsteam and is still easily moveable. It's only at high speeds.
I raced out on the CMRA tracks for a few years as well and loved the Shoei. Again, the Arai seems like a good helmet but I don't see anything spectactular about it. I feel like I could have gotten an AGV or HJC and been just as good.

I think it's just my head. :helmet:

It's funny how preferences are. For all the reasons you don't like the Arai, I like it; and for the reasons you like the Shoei, I don't.

For instance, to me, the Arai has a much more aerodynamic feel because it puts less stress on my neck whereas the Shoei puts a lot of stress on my neck. Of course I use my helmets strictly on the track and haven't ridden "fast" on the street in probably over a decade, so I turn my head a LOT. With the Shoei doing the whole "head lock" as you describe it's a terrible feeling on the track. In a straight line I guess it would be ok, but on the track, it's not comfortable at all.

I bought my first Arai when I was 17 (1987) and have been a fan ever since. The only other helmet I liked as much as the Arai was a couple of Suomy helmets I had as backups. The most important thing I learned about buying an Arai is to get them fit before I bought them. The right cheek pads, the right head shape, etc. They have changed over the years too which meant that if I bought a Signet GT one year they may not be the same fit as the Corsair 2 years later even though they were both "long oval" or whatever. Arai has never been a helmet most can just buy off the shelf and be happy with the fit.

All that said, just like with suspension and other facets of riding fast, what works for me may not work for you at all. Everyone has a preference.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, even at 165mph wind DOES in fact hit the helmet. And with that said, that may be the part of my issue.
When tucked with the X-11 the wind is being directed over my face and forehead and hitting the large spoiler on the rear of the helmet which makes it easier to look forward while tucked and holds the helmet straight at faster speeds.

So hold on....your complaining because at 165mph the helmet was unstable and mashed against your face? Do you not tuck behind your windscreen?

What if it was a windy day? Cross wind?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly I think the X11 is the best helmet on the market. I have NOT ridden with the X12 but when looking at comparisons between the 2, I like the sharper angles on the X11 over the softer, more rounded contours on the X12.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I could kick my own ass for selling that helmet. I actually DIDN'T sell it. I gave it away with a Technics racing suit, Teknics Kevlar racing gloves, 07 GSXR1000 w/8400 miles, sold in 2010 for 8500.00

I loved my X11...:cry:

I've always like Arai but they don't fit my dome well with glasses one. I've had the Shoei Neotec, RF-1100, GT-Air, and RF-1200 (current one) and I've love them all. The GT-Air, I did not keep too long as it was geared more towards touring so the wind noise was insane when I'm on my 10 and it was a lot more narrow than the other Shoeis. But I love the RF-1200. I've tried several Arai's on in the past and they just don't fit me quit as well plus I felt pressure points on several helmets that I wore so that was a no go for me.
Btw, how was the X-11? I was thinking about picking up the X-12 before I go the 1200, but decided on the latter instead.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've had both Arai and Shoei don't like either one of them. Your right about the Arai smashing your face at speed any Arai helmet I ever owned did that. The Shoei's I have had allow to much air flow thru and under the helmet as a contact lense wearer the excessive airflow would dry my contacts out fast. I'm a Suomy guy fits my head best and seals more tightly than either Arai or Shoei. It also doesn't push up against your face at speed.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I considered Suomy. I like their plush interior lol. And they use to have some really nice designs, not sure about now, haven't checked on them lately.
Ive heard from several people the Suomy fits in between the Arai and Shoei regarding fitment.
IDK, I don't really like the smooth sliding of the visor on the Arai either and I think the Suomy is the same way...I like the slotted locking positions on the Shoei... Damn it.:BangHead:

I've had both Arai and Shoei don't like either one of them. Your right about the Arai smashing your face at speed any Arai helmet I ever owned did that. The Shoei's I have had allow to much air flow thru and under the helmet as a contact lense wearer the excessive airflow would dry my contacts out fast. I'm a Suomy guy fits my head best and seals more tightly than either Arai or Shoei. It also doesn't push up against your face at speed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yea, when riding on the track the X11 doesn't lock into the windsteam and is still easily moveable. It's only at high speeds.
I raced out on the CMRA tracks for a few years as well and loved the Shoei. Again, the Arai seems like a good helmet but I don't see anything spectactular about it. I feel like I could have gotten an AGV or HJC and been just as good.

I think it's just my head. :helmet:
Regarding your statement about the "clear vents" on Hayden's helmet and that it resembles the Shoei; well, all the MotoGP riders have different vents and deflectors depending on what they're riding and how their helmet reacts on the bike. That's not a revelation. Not to mention, the helmets they wear are no where close to the helmets "we" can buy.

Yeah man, not sure what CMRA you're referring to, but I've raced CMRA since the late 80's here in Texas. Texas World Speedway (RIP) sees me regularly tapping out 6th gear on liter bikes and the Arai has always been stable. The Shoei does turn and make it tough on my neck unless you're looking straight ahead (which is almost never).

What I pay for with the Arai is the absolute protection. I've had lesser crashes with other brands and been injured more than with more substantial crashes with the Arai and injured less. I think Shoei would be in the same category but I've never crashed in one of mine. I personally would never wear an AGV and especially and HJC or similar brand. I've seen way too many bad injuries with folks wearing those brands...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Back in the day Arai used to be the best. Several of their helmets are collectible for the art work too. Shoei got with the progam and now makes a better helmet IMO. I have a couple of both brands. The Corsair V is LOUD, and it buffets with no straight line stability. But it is very light and comfy too. Our roads are all straight around here. The RF-1100 I have is much quieter, fits just as good or better, and it goes straight a lot nicer. I honestly never wear my Arais anymore. Bonus, I don't feel bad when I scratch a solid color Shoei either!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I have the Shoei RF1200 it's light and comfortable and protects my head and face. That's about all I've figured out it does so far.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not knocking on Arai, I'm simply saying the helmet doesn't illustrate it's value for me. And from the adverstising I've seen I would say that the shoei and aria are both safe hlemets with Arai slightly being more convicing in their ads.
And I'm referring to CMRA (Central Motorcycle Roadracing Assoc.), Yes the same one you are referring to. If you work for LSTD then we have probably bumper shoulders a couple times.
I use to hang out in the paddock with the DesertRat endurance racing team. I say "hang out" because they were mostly endurance and I was all sprint. Mark Neimi, Gabe McClendon, Ronnie, Hay, etc etc...
My worse crash was at Hallett. Clockwise coming down the hill into the Dead Horse Turn at 130 mph....Damn wet cracks cause the bike to get loose as the front settled coming over the hill and I had to straighten out that curve...ended up being unconscious and had a spinal compression fracture. Out the rest of the season.

Regarding your statement about the "clear vents" on Hayden's helmet and that it resembles the Shoei; well, all the MotoGP riders have different vents and deflectors depending on what they're riding and how their helmet reacts on the bike. That's not a revelation. Not to mention, the helmets they wear are no where close to the helmets "we" can buy.

Yeah man, not sure what CMRA you're referring to, but I've raced CMRA since the late 80's here in Texas. Texas World Speedway (RIP) sees me regularly tapping out 6th gear on liter bikes and the Arai has always been stable. The Shoei does turn and make it tough on my neck unless you're looking straight ahead (which is almost never).

What I pay for with the Arai is the absolute protection. I've had lesser crashes with other brands and been injured more than with more substantial crashes with the Arai and injured less. I think Shoei would be in the same category but I've never crashed in one of mine. I personally would never wear an AGV and especially and HJC or similar brand. I've seen way too many bad injuries with folks wearing those brands...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tom....I think I know you. I think we had a Tom around the paddock. There was a guy who always brought the huge motorhome and I think he was Tom. Not sure....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not knocking on Arai, I'm simply saying the helmet doesn't illustrate it's value for me. And from the adverstising I've seen I would say that the shoei and aria are both safe hlemets with Arai slightly being more convicing in their ads.
Yeah, that was my point about opinions and personal preference. It's funny though how some folks (not saying you) latch on to something and don't let go of a product.

To me, the most telling thing I've observed is the various testing of helmets and the way people look at things based on that testing. While some cheap brands may "test" the same as Arai or Shoei for instance, I've seen real world results that don't back up that testing.

Not to mention folks riding with helmets that are way too old and aren't as effective because of the material degradation. Of course we can't get away with that with pre-race tech.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm loyal but open-minded.
Example, it seriously hurt to switch from Suzuki to Kawasaki, and I still question my decision.
But I did it purely for the fact that Kaw is with the technology and Suzuki isn't and theyre virtually the same price. Even with that said, I still would have bought the Suzuki. The one thing that swayed me to GoGreen was..if I would have bought a Suzuki GSXR1000 and next year they come out with a bike that's completely different and competes with the euros and the Kawi I would have been LIVID!!!!!. And on that note...I said fk it, I'm switching to a Kaw. But everytime I take off from a red light and here those valves/lifters, I question my decision.

As far as helmets..I said to myself, I've never had an Arai. People swear by them for a reason and they are able to sell $900-1300$ helmets al day long for many years. So it may not be a Shoei, but the Kaw aint a Suzuki either. So there has to be something there I will like. So I bought the Arai. It's not a "bad" helmet. It's just not what I'm looking for or use to.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts