Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

My bike was stolen, and then recovered. It was obvious that it was misused a lot (i have to replace the whole external fairing, and a bunch of other things). Anyway, I am pretty sure that the front shocks are pretty messed up as well. As I can see the signs of seal leak, and there is that sound that comes whenever I hit a pot hole (I have to still confirm though, if it is coming from the shocks, or maybe there is something else loost).

I have a few questions, and will appreciate any help.

1. How to confirm the condition of shocks? To find out if they really need a rebuilt or not.

2. Is it easy to do the rebuilt myself. I am pretty good with mechanics, however; have never done the shocks before? Also, is it cost effective doing it myself?

3. Do they require any special tool, or regular mechanic tools are fine?

4. I do not think a regular stand will work for this purpose, as it has to hold the lower ends of the shocks. What kind of stand I will need, or is there any other way of dealing with it?

Thanks again for your help guys.
Take care.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
1. If it is leaking oil, you need new seals.

2. Not sure, haven't done it.

3. see 2

4. a triple tree stand is what you need.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
By the sounds of things I would rec. you take it to a shop. I'd hate to see you damage your 'shocks'.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
There are a few special tools needed to replace fork seals. It's not too difficult. If you are mechanically inclined and have a shop manual to follow, I'd say go for it. You'll save $ and learn a little something to boot. Can't go wrong.

And if you get in to it and decide it's more than you want to deal with, take the forks-NOT the entire bike-to a shop. If they are already leaking, what do you have to lose?

The clunking going over potholes could be steering head bearings. They are easy to check and adjust if needed.

I hope the theif was caught and gang raped by 1000 rabid gorillas.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Take the shocks out and send them off to be revalved (and sprung if necessary). They'll also buff out any scratches and check to make sure the tubes are true. If it's just the seals you can do it yourself with regular tools. There's a few write ups on this site and the web. You don't need stands - only a good strong rope and a garage. I don't own stands so every time I change tires I convert to 'hoverbike'.

Hopefully you were well compensated by your ins - cause I'm not sure i'd want mine back after someone beat on it. At least not without a big check to cover possible damages.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are a few special tools needed to replace fork seals. It's not too difficult. If you are mechanically inclined and have a shop manual to follow, I'd say go for it. You'll save $ and learn a little something to boot. Can't go wrong.

And if you get in to it and decide it's more than you want to deal with, take the forks-NOT the entire bike-to a shop. If they are already leaking, what do you have to lose?

The clunking going over potholes could be steering head bearings. They are easy to check and adjust if needed.

I hope the theif was caught and gang raped by 1000 rabid gorillas.
Thanks man.. I hope so as well (about the theif), however; unfortunately they never caught the theives. The cops were useless in my case. This was my second bike that was stolen, and they did not even bother to take finger prints.
The bike was found since the guy got into an accident, and left the bike there. I had to replace all the fearing and gas tank.. still a few more things to do more :(
Anyway... these are times when you realize, you can not do shi*..
What is the way to check bearing clinking? I also get vibration from front at around 4000 RPM... maybe it is due to that too.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take the shocks out and send them off to be revalved (and sprung if necessary). They'll also buff out any scratches and check to make sure the tubes are true. If it's just the seals you can do it yourself with regular tools. There's a few write ups on this site and the web. You don't need stands - only a good strong rope and a garage. I don't own stands so every time I change tires I convert to 'hoverbike'.

Hopefully you were well compensated by your ins - cause I'm not sure i'd want mine back after someone beat on it. At least not without a big check to cover possible damages.
Unfortunately, not full coverage :(... i pay 166/ year for basic, and they were asking for around 2000/year for adding collision and thift :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.