Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did have a search but couldn't find anything definitive, sorry if this has been asked a million times.

But which gen shocks are compatible with other gen bikes?

I have a gen 1 and am wondering if an ohlins or aftermarket shock from other models will fit. From what i've read a gen 3 and gen 1 will swap - but the others are unique to themselves.

Is the gen 3 a straight swap onto a 1? Only i was under the impression the width of the clevis and pin through the linkage is different? Hopefully the pin could just be swapped...

thanks

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
4 will not swap to a 3 with the 4 linkage?

Not a chance. The gen 4 shock is horizontal. The gen 3 is vertical. The reservoir on the shocks are a completely different arrangement. The swingarm on the gen 3 would hit the gen 4 shock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great, thanks man

So is the gen 1 and 3 a simple straight swap, bolt in, no changes at all?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
That's great, thanks man

So is the gen 1 and 3 a simple straight swap, bolt in, no changes at all?
From what I remember of it, you have to change out one of the collars on the shock to accept the different size bolt. Or it gets drilled out. Can't remember and I'll have to search for it. I know a guy who ran a stock gen 1 shock on his gen 3 and did quite well at the track on it. But there was a slight modification he had to do to mount it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You have to look at more than just "will it fit". Example of this is the Gen 1 Ohlins shock has 69mm of stroke where the Gen 3 has only 64mm of stroke. BUT they are both the same overall length out of the box. So by fitting a Gen 3 shock you'll be losing stroke which can affect bottoming.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
skydork - yeah i thought it would be something like that - thanks

evallarta - yeah of course there's that to look at but i wouldn't think 5mm stroke on the pretty smooth tracks i have around here should make much odds - it's not like with the forks where under heavy braking you're always working pretty low in the stroke.

Having said that the simple solution is just to wait for the correct gen ohlins to come up!

thanks guys

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to look at more than just "will it fit". Example of this is the Gen 1 Ohlins shock has 69mm of stroke where the Gen 3 has only 64mm of stroke. BUT they are both the same overall length out of the box. So by fitting a Gen 3 shock you'll be losing stroke which can affect bottoming.
What's your opinion on using shocks from different bikes in general?

If the overall length and stroke lengths are close/the same should it be ok in theory? Or can the valving etc all be way out too?

Just been researching shocks from other bikes and it seems some years of gsxr and hayabusa use a 330mm shock, compared to the zx10 338mm. Obviously that difference could be made up with a shim and/or the height adjustment of an aftermarket shock.

The gsxr shock stroke is actually 72mm or 74 on the busa i think it is - so surely an extra 3mm isn't a problem either.

So in a case like that, as long as the width of the clevis and top eye were correct or could be sorted would that kind of thing pass?

I guess the busa shock is a crap choice cos it's a big heavy tourer! lol, but a gsxr 1000 is of a similar weight and bike?

I know it seems stupid but here in the UK it's much easier to find a used ohlins from a suzuki than a gen 1 zx10!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've done it, but it is not perfect. It works well on the street, but I would never do it on the track as a direct swap. There is way more to a shock than just length and stroke. Having said that, if you find a shock off another bike that has the overall height you need with enough stroke, you could have the valves changed during a rebuild and get it correct. I have done that on track bikes a couple times and it worked great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done it, but it is not perfect. It works well on the street, but I would never do it on the track as a direct swap. There is way more to a shock than just length and stroke. Having said that, if you find a shock off another bike that has the overall height you need with enough stroke, you could have the valves changed during a rebuild and get it correct. I have done that on track bikes a couple times and it worked great.
Thanks man, great info.

Yeah i guess that's the thing - different linkages will presumably affect the stroke and valving required to work well together. Then obviously the size, weight of bike etc etc. I can image the shock from a 600 wouldn't have valving that could cope properly with the extra demands a 1000 would put on it in terms of weight, squat under power etc.

Just so many damn gsxr bits floating around on ebay got me thinking!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I fount this thread while searching for an answer...
SkyDork mentioned a Gen3 rear shock will not fit the Gen4 but I thought maybe Ohlins made their shock more "Gen compatible" so is there a way a Gen3 Ohlins shock fit Gen4?
What about the front? on my Gen3 I have stock fork with Ohlins internals, will it fit my Gen4?
Thanks !

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
skydork - yeah i thought it would be something like that - thanks

evallarta - yeah of course there's that to look at but i wouldn't think 5mm stroke on the pretty smooth tracks i have around here should make much odds - it's not like with the forks where under heavy braking you're always working pretty low in the stroke.

Having said that the simple solution is just to wait for the correct gen ohlins to come up!

thanks guys
Listen to that guy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts