Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Want a laugh?
Ive always been hacked off with having to remove the rear shock just to adjust the preload nuts.
So i thought im gonna try something a bit different.
Three 12mm cable ties 500mm long.
Thread them through your shock spring.
(Not easy but it helps having a 11 year old with small hands)
Sit on the bike whilst tightening the ties.
Then tip the bike onto sidestand and lift rear wheel off the ground.
Very easy to do if you got not cat.
You just sit it on an axle stand.
Spring is relieved.
Tap lock nut undone.
Use blunt piece of bar. Preferably alloy to gently tap the preload nut round.
I even managed it with 2 ties but i rccomend more as the spring generates large forces.
Cut the ties off when done.
Be careful obviously.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gota a silly question, how would you do your static sag and rider sag that way :dontknow:
Just by guessing roughly where it needs to be and doing it again until its right. If you turn the nut with the spring touching it you will scrape all the paint off.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
While I commend you for thinking outside the box, doing this probably is not the best.

If you want to alleviate some pressure off the shock spring you can drop the tire like already mentioned and adjust the collar (minus the zip ties). This will make spinning the collar much easier then having the rear tire on the ground.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
While I commend you for thinking outside the box, doing this probably is not the best.

If you want to alleviate some pressure off the shock spring you can drop the tire like already mentioned and adjust the collar (minus the zip ties). This will make spinning the collar much easier then having the rear tire on the ground.
No the spring is still under alot of pressure even when the shock is unbolted off the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts