Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok yesterday I installed a new set of ebc HH brake pads and kevlar brake lines every thing seemed to be fine. today on my daily ride into work i noticed a slight shimmy at speeds over 90mph when I lightly touch the brake but not when I put down full pressure. My first though was warped brake rotors but they dont shimmy at slower speeds or full brake pressure..... ANY IDEAS???

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I have a similar problem as do several other members, some have had it with stock brakes, I only had it when I changed to EBC HH's , it appears to be fork flex , like you I dont get it when applying more brake pressure.

You can dial some of it out by using less preload on the front springs but it compromises the handling by having more dive.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
whne you put the new pads on did you sand down your rotors at all?

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
It would shimmy at all speeds if the rotors were contaminated, you can make the shimmy go away for a while by hard bedding the pads, but it always returns.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Its certainly a bummer when owners believe they are improving their brakes with, pads, ss-lines etc only to encounter this issue as described and as FAF mentions not all do but when it rears its ugly head the description is always the same.

BD

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Pulled my bike for a while until my Ohlins get here , I started to get it back really bad on my last outing, all I could do was to cook the front pads to stop the initial bite from making the forks do their dance and then it was fine for about an hour , but after some moderate breaking the pads came back and the forks did their thing again.

I completely ruined a front tire from this anomoly , I didnt notice how bad it was until I washed the bike and then you could see all the lateral ridges in the rubber , the shimmy makes the tire hop and causes uneven wear then the uneven wear makes the shimmy worse, and so on.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
You can try sanding the rotors and sanding the new pads again and see if it helps , but I have a feeling it will come back.

FWIW , I dont get the shimmy when I go back to stock pads , but I dont get as good bite from them.

The stock pads work better as they bite more gradually allowing the front end to take a better ,steady set.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
???

Ok well I emailed ebc and told them that many people have had the same problems and I would like a full refund well see what happends maby they will give me a fix

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Unfortunately its not EBC's fault, so I wouldnt expect too much, the fault lies with the bike and its abilities to take more instant loads on the front forks, not al ZX's are doing this either and so it hasnt become a major complaint for Kawasaki to deal with.

My neighbours zx14 has the same issues.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Generally there are two main reasons why shuddering or shimmies occur, one from warped rotors and the other from the build up of cementite on the rotor , this is shown up by a series of black spots on the rotor surface, however if either of these problems were indeed the case then you would have brake shudder at all speeds, this isnt the case.If it does start to do it at all speeds then consider the second option, but usually the black spots appear because of a mismatch between pad and rotor materials and shaving off the black spots wont cure the problem unless you change back to recommended pads.

All I know is, with less initial bite, my forks are stable but with grippy pads its a nightmare.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I lived with it for a while, but it isnt a nice feeling, it almost feels like steering head bearings too loose, but I can tell you its not that.

I wont have the problem too much longer because I am switching to Ohlins, an expensive remedy unfortunately.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Very interesting, since I've been considering going to a pad with a bit more initial bite. I had a Z1000 and couldn't believe the difference in initial bite between the two, actually, the Z seemed to have better brakes period!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I think i am going to order a diffrent brake pad going to try oem or a ff maby this shimmy is worse at 130mph almost makes me nervous unless anyone has another sugestion I was thinking about reinstalling the backing plates to see if it will help ...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts