Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd under full load? Its starting to get on my nerves. Any solutions to this?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
It is the way it is going to be.

Read my review of the 1000 RR

One of the things I mentioned is that the Honda will shift into 3rd under full power.

I have had some issues street racing with that stupid 2-3 shift

You have to mentally make yourself come off of power for a sec to make the shift happen.

·
Registered
516 Posts
bellevuetlr said:
Anyone else have problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd under full load? Its starting to get on my nerves. Any solutions to this?
What do you mean "under full load"?
How are you shifting? Something has to be unloaded, clutch, gas or both. What method are you using?

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
You Might try reversing the shifter. You will have to get the dremel tool out and remove a very small amount of the left lower (fairing) to keep it from rubbing on the shift arm, but it is a very straight forward mod, and you will lessen the chance of missed shifts because now you will be pushing down to up-shift. It is also much easier to shift while on the back wheel with the GP pattern shift set-up. You will have to really pay attention for a while until you get used to it though, but it will feel right after a while.

Tony

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
under full load - what i mean is when im at the peak of the power band in 2nd and trying to shift to third. oh yes, i shift without the clutch lever~ once i hit the peak rpm i would ease off the throttle a bit (say 10 percent) to upshift.

MountainviewX, i dont think the clutch is slipping at all. it just wouldnt go into gear.

·
Registered
516 Posts
bellevuetlr said:
under full load - what i mean is when im at the peak of the power band in 2nd and trying to shift to third. oh yes, i shift without the clutch lever~ once i hit the peak rpm i would ease off the throttle a bit (say 10 percent) to upshift.

MountainviewX, i dont think the clutch is slipping at all. it just wouldnt go into gear.
I don't remember having a shifting problem with the 2-3 shift while blipping the throttle. What oil are you using?

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
When I shift under hard acceleration I put pressure on the shifter then slam the throttle shut. It's always slid right in for me. (go ahead and giggle)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I havent changed the oil since i bought it. Ill be changing it soon though. I bought it with 4500 miles on it.

Andy,
so you accelerate then you shift then slow down? :dontknow: that kinda beats the purpose

·
Registered
516 Posts
BIKEMIKE said:
I don't remember having a shifting problem with the 2-3 shift while blipping the throttle. What oil are you using?
FYI, I used Kendall GT-1 10W14 all last season and put Valvoline MC oil (10w40) in on the last change in the fall. I've had nothing but smooth posttive shifting. I'm installing a Quick Shifter for the new season and hope my luck continues.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im going to change the oil and springs. maybe that will fix it. if not, ill have the dealer look at it. good to hear you dont have a problem with yours.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i have the same problem. I run a dj quick shifter with GP shift and it still does it from time to time. I run Amsoil 10w 40.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I talked to the dealer and was told that I was shifting incorrectly. I cant convince him that using the shift lever to upshift is not necessary during high performance riding

Its not bad to shift without the clutch right (as long as the bike is under load)?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts