Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member today. Just bought a 05zx10. 200mi Noticed a disturbing notchy shift between 3- 2nd gear(mainly) on the downshift. As I shift I feel somthing tap the clutch mechanism. It translates to a knock on the clutch lever which I can feel on my fingers(and the rear wheel once!!!) Has anyone experienced this strange glitch?
Its a rather notchy shifter in general, however I am in the break in period. It has the feeling of a bent shift fork, or a damaged drum. Hope it resolves. Any ideas?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is it just as you are letting the clutch out? My first guess would be it's just the slipper clutch doing it's job, as I have had the same sort of feeling through the clutch lever when it does its job.

·
Registered
193 Posts
All slipper clutches have a pulse through the clutch lever on
high rpm downshifts. It is just the inner hub moving uo the ramp like it is designed to do. Hydraulic clutches have more feedback at the lever on downshifts.
Make sure you have the right amount of freeplay in the clutch lever when the engine and clutch are hot. To much freeplay and downshifting will be harsh or difficult. To little freeplay and the clutch will slip and overheat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds logical, but the pulse I am getting is quite unnatural. .......Just went searching and it appears others have noticed this clicking lever too. And they also attribute this to the slipper clutch. It was my understanding that the 04/05 did not have a true slipper cluth like the 06. I know the new R1 has it also.
What is strange is that it is doing it at a cushy 4-5k breakin in rpm. What is gonna happen when I start to wind it up? Also the zx10 has a manual actuator and is not hydro. I hope it smooths out after the brake in.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
i bang through the gears on downshifting and she stays pretty much in check, so whatever kind of slipper clutch you want to call it, it works for me. just rip the bitch open, its broken in enough

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You might want to check the shift linkage for proper adjustment, and check for binds. If thats all good it could be time to take your clutch apart for a closer inspection.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had a thread about this the other day. My bike is doing the same thing. I can actually feel something click or vibrate the clutch lever. Mine seems to only do it when upshifting (just as I'm about to release the clutch lever). I am in the second half of the break in period now and was hoping it would quit but it did it once or twice again today.

Mine appears to do it only on upshifts, not downshifting. If I don't use the clutch at all for upshifting, it doesn't appears to ever do it. But, not using the clutch in street traffic is hard to shift smoothly.

I don't know what the problem is but I am having the same problem.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i dunno about what u guys are dealing with my my 04 would give me shifting problems when it was new. it felt like the clutches were sticking together. id release the clutch then a moment later get a bang and jerk like the clutch giving free.

i started leaning the bike over to soak the clutches before and often during rides as it would help for awhile. (similar to gladens soaking the clutches)

anyway my bike corrected itself and hasnt done it in forever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it is good to know someone else has this exact problem. I am going to contact dealers for input. It is also interesting that when I first bought the bike,
0 mi. the clutch let out right at the bar. And yes the clutch free play was perfect. It was actually walking a bit unless the cluth was tight against the bar. Now it is much better after 200mi. This is prob. normal.

·
Registered
206 Posts
ROKBOY1 said:
Well, it is good to know someone else has this exact problem. I am going to contact dealers for input. It is also interesting that when I first bought the bike,
0 mi. the clutch let out right at the bar. And yes the clutch free play was perfect. It was actually walking a bit unless the cluth was tight against the bar. Now it is much better after 200mi. This is prob. normal.
Let me know what you find out. Since it doesn't happen every shift, I've been afraid to take it to a dealer because they'll ride it up the block and it won't do it and they'll say my bike is fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke with a service dept. and they claim they had no knowlege of any issues but said I would have to bring it in. I will bring it in for the 600mi service to document the complaint in case it gets worse. They will play dumb I'm sure.
PS: It also happens on upshifts for me but more noticable on downshift.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, it seems a few of you have the same glitch so I am not gonna worry about it for now. It just so freekin annoying! :sad:

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
ROKBOY1 said:
Ok, it seems a few of you have the same glitch so I am not gonna worry about it for now. It just so freekin annoying! :sad:
know whats kinda annoying too... the front tire not wanting to stay on the gorund:crackup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL,
Not even broken in but It seems a boeing 747 has its front wheels on the tar longer than these zx10r's. I def. have to buy a steering stabilizer soon. I want to check the posts to see which one is the best for the money. The 06 comes equipped with one doesnt it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The service manager of my Kawasaki dealership called Kawasaki today about the clutch noise. He was told that Kawasaki has known about the noise since the development of the bike in 2003. It is just noise made by cluch mechanism itself. I guess that's why it doesn't do it when I upshift without the clutch.

Although that is good news in a sense as it tells me I don't have one-of-a-kind problem and/or a faulty bike, I'm not happy with such a noise being accepted as "OK". But, as long as it doesn't damage the bike and is of no danger to me, I guess I can live with it. Especially since I won't be using the clutch for drag racing anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a feeling there were some refinements made to the clutch/tranny on the 06. The feedback is that the 06 is a much smoother shifter. I'm positive it was not their intention for the clutch lever to knock back when shifting. It is definitely not perfect, but I will wait till the first service and let them ride it.
Other than that the bike is perfect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts