Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gents, I have been having issues with the bike shifting...specifically from 2nd to 3rd. After doing as much tinkering as I could(keeping the chain tight and lubed, clean oil etc) and consulting with some of you I finally took my bike to the shop. It only has about 3000 miles but I need to get this taken care of. At first I thought it just might be me somehow but it happens way too often for that. I will be shifting from 2nd and after releasing the clutch and it will still be in 2nd. It usually happens when I have the rpm's up around 7k and above either torqueing it up or zipping through the gears. It never has any issues downshifting either. It is very frustrating. I have done a lot of research to see if this is a widespread issue or just a fluke. I really didn't find anyone with an 08-09's having similar issues but I read a lot of folks complaining about kawasaki's trannys and clutch set up being somewhat weak compared to other makes. Who know's? Either way anything less than 100% when I get it back is unacceptable. I have put too much time and money into it for anything less than perfect. Has anybody else had any similar issues with they're 10r (regardless of model) or heard of anything like this? I would appreciate any input you have. I will keep yall posted if anyone is interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I posted on this. thought I was having an issue... I had just got some new boots Dianese and bike was on first ride of new season. I switched to full synthetic and no issues since. Took the bike to the dealer and they found nothing. Bike has 18K+ miles now an trans is butter smooth. Power shift slow shift it's all good. Sometimes the clutch needs to be adjusted so they may check that... 3000 miles; bike still needs detailed attention during break in period...

Let us know what the deal is...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted on this. thought I was having an issue... I had just got some new boots Dianese and bike was on first ride of new season. I switched to full synthetic and no issues since. Took the bike to the dealer and they found nothing. Bike has 18K+ miles now an trans is butter smooth. Power shift slow shift it's all good. Sometimes the clutch needs to be adjusted so they may check that... 3000 miles; bike still needs detailed attention during break in period...

Let us know what the deal is...
Thanks for the reply. I had read yor post the other day. After break in I put in some Mobile 4T. The only noticeable difference was the overall smoothness it produced. I know it does more good internally that I will ever feel but did not help with the shifting issue at all. Either way I hope they find something if they have to adjust something or replace the whole transmission...I don't care. I will keep you posted none the less. Later.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I had read yor post the other day. After break in I put in some Mobile 4T. The only noticeable difference was the overall smoothness it produced. I know it does more good internally that I will ever feel but did not help with the shifting issue at all. Either way I hope they find something if they have to adjust something or replace the whole transmission...I don't care. I will keep you posted none the less. Later.
wooord!
I know there are a few services in the begining and one they adjust the clutch cable, throttle cable etc. Sounds like the clutch is not engaging. Not likely you have the one bad trans of all the 08/09 zx10's sold...

They will not pull the trans without calling you; cuz they gonna wanna charge you if they don't find anything when and if the pull the trans. That's what they told me. Turned out my trans was fine. Like you I was convinced I had the one bad trans. Turns out trans was fine! I would look into a radiator guard though.

My guess clutch needes adjustment... I have 18K hard miles and bike shifts fine. I busted my clutch basket the other day so I am ridding the bike hard. the trans is pretty solid!

Let us know bro....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I am hoping it is some minor adjustment like the shift lever. Even with all the other gears it has never had a "positive" shift and hopefully with whatever it is, it makes everything run just that much better.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I have seen this too, I checked mine after they posted those threads but regardless mines like cutting threw butter, nice and smooth every time...Nothing like my honda...

·
Chairman of the Board
16,093 Posts
I wandered about this when I saw vr6 post that he bought new boots. I had a problem with shifting after purchasing new boots. The rigidity of the boot was not allowing the shifter to ratchet back down for the next gear. Glad you got your issue resolved though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank's man. I forwarded this to my guy at the dealership and is going to show it to the mechanics. They haven't started on it yet so hopefully this will expedite the process when they get to it. Again, a big thanks to all that have replied. I will let yall know if this is it. Later. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
138 Posts
Your issue doesn't sound like the one my friend had. He basically had to force his shift lever HARD to get it into the next gear. Yours sounds like it's moving...but not engaging the next gear. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, we're talking two different issues.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your issue doesn't sound like the one my friend had. He basically had to force his shift lever HARD to get it into the next gear. Yours sounds like it's moving...but not engaging the next gear. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, we're talking two different issues.
Well...yes and no. I feel like I need to muscle it up every time so I don't miss a shift but yes it's definitely and engagement issue. My problem is primarily 2nd to 3rd but I really don't feel like I am making positive shifts unless I am downshifting. I got on your old post and got a lot of good information that I am going to pass on to the service department. I hope it helps them cut to the chase so I can get my bike back before it starts to get too cold to ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts