Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought my '11 zx-10r overseas in Germany at an american kawasaki dealer... took it on a test drive and i noticed it was a little tough to shift into neutral... dealer said it should be fine just ride it and break it in a little and see if it changes.. put 200 miles on it and it seems as though it gets a little easier when the bike is completely warm (this was in Nov. temp. outside around 60F) but still is very tough to shift into neutral on a rolling stop or even when completely stopped at a light?
Anyone have any ideas as to why mine does this or how to change it?? Ive taken it back to the dealer where the kawi-tech they have said everything looks good on it and nothing wrong?? Any help is greatly appreciated!http://zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/mod_smilie_rolleyes.gif

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Change the oil and put GOOD, non synthetic oil and filter on it. Try that first. Don't switch to synthetic yet or your clutches will likely slip. Put some miles on bike with the newer oil and see if it gets easier. The Gen4 is a bit notchy but like most bikes, it should get easier with miles.
But, at a complete dead stop and in first gear already, it should go right into neutral as it has a positve neutral finder.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Exactly. Plus it has the factory shit oil and all the nice shavings the factory always give you.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,701 Posts
Hmmmm...to be honest here, I suspect your technique is the problem and not the bike.

All Kawasaki transmissions come with a Positive Neutral Finder (PNF) that is a ball bearing mechanism that engages when the transmission shaft stops spinning and disengages when it is. This mechanism will prevent shifting into gears 2-6 unless the transmission is moving.

The fact that you're trying to find neutral while rolling is the problem. You should always downshift into 1st gear while moving slowly, then come to a complete stop, and then shift into neutral. You don't have to "hunt" or move the lever just a little bit in this scenario. From first gear, just up shift like you are going into 2nd gear and neutral will be the only thing selected. If you don't do it this way, neutral will be hard to locate. The PNF requires a different thought process, but it's freakin' awesome! If you're stopped and in first, just bang the gear selector lever and you're in neutral each time every time.

Now, if you're stopped and in any other gear, it will feel ragged and notchy shifting between gears to get to first. That's normal and the tranny should be spinning to get smooth shifts out of it. If you're completely stopped and able to shift from 1st gear into 2nd gear, then your PNF might be faulty.

Change your downshift technique to match this bike and you'll learn to love it and won't have these issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm...to be honest here, I suspect your technique is the problem and not the bike.

All Kawasaki transmissions come with a Positive Neutral Finder (PNF) that is a ball bearing mechanism that engages when the transmission shaft stops spinning and disengages when it is. This mechanism will prevent shifting into gears 2-6 unless the transmission is moving.

The fact that you're trying to find neutral while rolling is the problem. You should always downshift into 1st gear while moving slowly, then come to a complete stop, and then shift into neutral. You don't have to "hunt" or move the lever just a little bit in this scenario. From first gear, just up shift like you are going into 2nd gear and neutral will be the only thing selected. If you don't do it this way, neutral will be hard to locate. The PNF requires a different thought process, but it's freakin' awesome! If you're stopped and in first, just bang the gear selector lever and you're in neutral each time every time.

Now, if you're stopped and in any other gear, it will feel ragged and notchy shifting between gears to get to first. That's normal and the tranny should be spinning to get smooth shifts out of it. If you're completely stopped and able to shift from 1st gear into 2nd gear, then your PNF might be faulty.

Change your downshift technique to match this bike and you'll learn to love it and won't have these issues.
^^ thanks for your advice... but although its great advice my only problem still is that even when i'm at a standstill... its that i have to put alot of "effort" into shifting from 1st into neutral... i just dont feel that it should be difficult...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for everyones advice and feedback on my problem! when it becomes warmer i will take your advice and change the oil and see how she runs... very much appreciated!

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
No problems finding neutral when at a full stop from 1st. However, when slowing, about 1/3rd of the time from 2nd, it's been a chore to get into neutral the 1st try. Never had this issue on the previous 17 bikes.

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
That's what I am hoping for but not a big deal in the end. It did improve the last few times I rode her, after the cold season passes, I will play with it a bit while prepping the bike for next season.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I am hoping for but not a big deal in the end. It did improve the last few times I rode her, after the cold season passes, I will play with it a bit while prepping the bike for next season.
do you think the cold affects the way that your bike shifts? just curious... only reason i ask is because during the month of november here is cold but not enough to need a jacket... and the shifting into neutral does lighten up a bit when the bike is actually warm?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
do you think the cold affects the way that your bike shifts? just curious... only reason i ask is because during the month of november here is cold but not enough to need a jacket... and the shifting into neutral does lighten up a bit when the bike is actually warm?
Temp does come into play because it makes the oil thicker when it's cold but should get easier as the bike warms up.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Every bike I've ever owned (a lot of them) had smoother shifting as it got broken in. Put 600 miles on it, dump the factory oil and install what ever you want, regular, semi-synth, full synth, what ever. Clutch wont slip. Guarantee the shifting/neutral locating, will get better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Every bike I've ever owned (a lot of them) had smoother shifting as it got broken in. Put 600 miles on it, dump the factory oil and install what ever you want, regular, semi-synth, full synth, what ever. Clutch wont slip. Guarantee the shifting/neutral locating, will get better.
Thanks teedub:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts