Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Shifter shaft and clutch questions (from a car guy)

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  leemille 
#1 ·
Please forgive these ignorant questions, but I don't have a bike or linkages to look at as I try to figure out some stuff. I'm installing a bare 2005 ZX-10 engine into my race car.

1. I'm getting ready to design a shifter cable and need to know which direction the shaft turns for upshifts and downshifts. In other words, when the shaft turns clockwise (when viewed from the left side of the engine), does that induce an upshift or a downshift? I know I should be able to tell on my own, but haven't been able to figure it out yet.

I should mention that I bought the engine on ebay and assume it's good, but haven't run it yet, so it could have problems if the seller was sleazy.

2. Regarding the clutch - I've replaced the clutch springs with stiffer ones, but am not confident that it has gone back together correctly. I hope it has, but would like to confirm. I can easily move the lever by hand quite a distance without much resistance, but I guess that's not really doing anything inside. Since I don't have a working bike with linkage to look at, I'm not sure where the lever is when it starts to disengage, how far it will travel or how hard it should be to move (especially with non-stock springs). I'm hoping someone can suggest ways I can work the clutch with the engine out of a bike chassis, and that will help me determine things like cable length needed to run it to the car's clutch pedal.

Let me know if you need more info or pictures for this post to make more sense. I appreciate your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Shifter shaft picture

Here is a picture of the shifter shaft.

I am able to find neutral and one gear, but I'm not sure if that gear is first or how to engage other gears. Seems like it should be easy, but I haven't figured it out yet ...

Attachments

#3 ·
Here is a picture of the shifter shaft.

I am able to find neutral and one gear, but I'm not sure if that gear is first or how to engage other gears. Seems like it should be easy, but I haven't figured it out yet ...
Spin the sprocket and shift it that will let you know if your in 1st or either it will start going through the gears.

#8 ·
Okay. I shift from neutral into a gear by turning the shaft clockwise while I spin the sprocket. (BTW, if I do the same thing from neutral yet try to turn the shifter shaft counterclockwise, it does not go into a gear.)

Okay. From that initial gear I cannot go into another gear. All I can do is return to neutral.

So, according to your test I have found first gear by turning the shifter shaft clockwise, right?

I'm still confused. Where are 2nd - 6th gears?

I have two 2005 ZX-10 engines and they both behave exactly the same.
Shifting clockwise from neutral takes you to 1st. All you have to do is spin the sprocket at the same time as you try and shift and it will go into the next gear. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Shifting clockwise from neutral takes you to 1st. All you have to do is spin the sprocket at the same time as you try and shift and it will go into the next gear. :thumbsup:
Also looks like his linkage is in GP shifting not normal up shifts to change gears so I think that's what your talking about RR...also your linkage does not look like it's a pure 180deg. out from the stock position to do a pure GP shifting change..maybe that is the problem as well.:dontknow:

#4 ·
Clutch Lever picture

And here's a picture of the clutch lever in it's normal state (clutch engaged).

My questions are:
- How far does it rotate from here before the play is taken up and the clutch springs begin to be depressed?
- How much further should it rotate to fully disengage the clutch? (or, asked differently, how close does the lever get to the cable mount?)

Thank again for any assistance.

Attachments

#13 ·
as for the clutch, what about on you shift lever just put it on there as a pull in style.
Yes, I've seen that arrangement, but doesn't sound great. I've raced cars for years, so a foot pedal will be most natural. I don't mind taking my hand off the wheel for a moment to shift, but declutching would be too much hand activity, IMO.

My current plan is to attach a cable between the clutch lever and a clutch pedal. It will be pretty similar to the bike arrangement, except with a foot pedal instead of a handlebar lever.

The problem is (and it's not a major problem, just a nagging feeling), it will be a while before I get to that because I have so many other things to tackle first, such as cooling, fuel, exhaust, wiring, etc. Meanwhile, I'd like confirmation that my recent clutch job went together correctly. When I pull on the lever now with my hand, it doesn't quite feel right. That could be because it takes a significant effort to depress the clutch springs - more than I can exert with my fingers on the lever.

#15 ·
Hmm ... A red flag just went up. You're suggesting I follow advice from someone who installed a ZX-10 engine in a kart?! That guy can't be sane! :).

jk. Thanks for the suggestion.

#17 ·
Sorry not into those things but still think he's ahead of you when it comes to the ZX10R motor..he has a ZX10R powered race car//check him out as he is a real cool guy and sure he would help out if he can.:wink:

bloo

#16 ·
Consider this idea, I actually did this for a one legged guy in a legends car.

All your upshifts can be clutchless , so you dont need the clutch on the way up the box , connect the clutch cable to the shifter to pull when you downshift , with the right fulcrum points you can engage the clutch a fraction of a second before you down shift and leave you enough cable to pull away in first by holding the lever forward.

Or get a "Y" cable and have a pedal too.

To answer your question about the length of lever travel to disengage the clutch you are looking between 6 and 12 mm of movement depending on the stack height.

#18 ·
Consider this idea, I actually did this for a one legged guy in a legends car.

All your upshifts can be clutchless , so you dont need the clutch on the way up the box , connect the clutch cable to the shifter to pull when you downshift , with the right fulcrum points you can engage the clutch a fraction of a second before you down shift and leave you enough cable to pull away in first by holding the lever forward.
That's a pretty interesting idea. Did it work out well? Was it hard to find that correct fulcrum point?

Thanks for sharing it.

#19 ·
zx 10r engine in a cuplite

i didn't have room for another pedal in the footwell, so i have the clutch next to me ala sprint car. i installed a pingel electric shifter and a paddle shifter on the steering wheel.
i'm not home right now, but when i get home i can send pics of my installation if it would help.
buy or get the service manual, it will help with question like which direction for the shift.
i seem to remember, counter clockwise for first, clockwise for upshift. also won't go into neutral unless the speed is zero. also, it kluncks when going into first.

#20 ·
i didn't have room for another pedal in the footwell, so i have the clutch next to me ala sprint car. i installed a pingel electric shifter and a paddle shifter on the steering wheel.
I'm not familiar with the sprint car set up. I'll Google and see if I can find out about it.

The paddle shifter with Pingle sounds good, but isn't in the budget at this time. That may be a future upgrade.
i'm not home right now, but when i get home i can send pics of my installation if it would help.
I'd enjoy seeing the pictures if it's easy for you to post.
buy or get the service manual, it will help with question like which direction for the shift.
i seem to remember, counter clockwise for first, clockwise for upshift. also won't go into neutral unless the speed is zero. also, it kluncks when going into first.
I did look, by my service manual on CD didn't have it, at least not where I looked during 15 minutes of searching..

Based on the info from previous posts, I am assuming that once I'm in neutral, I twist the shaft clockwise to clunk it into first gear. Later, when I get the parts moving, I assume that upshifts from first gear will be counterclockwise twists of the shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.