Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm having a very strange issue, and its happened twice now.
The bolt that attaches the shifter arm to the rearset on my 2010 10R has completely backed itself out and fallen out twice. The second time while in high gear on the interstate and the bolt and other attaching hardware were lost completely. I've got new parts on order from bikebandit and a kinda Band-Aid type fix right now so the bike is still ridable but the shifting isn't quite right in this configuration.

This didn't happen until I switched the OE arm over to GP Shift. Other than that it's stock parts (Rearsets, hardware and gear change mechanism) and I've used red Loctite and torqued the bolt down as tight as I can get it (will admit to not looking for the recommended torque) and it still backed out the second time.

Anyone know how I can this?

·
Registered
367 Posts
So I'm having a very strange issue, and its happened twice now.
The bolt that attaches the shifter arm to the rearset on my 2010 10R has completely backed itself out and fallen out twice. The second time while in high gear on the interstate and the bolt and other attaching hardware were lost completely. I've got new parts on order from bikebandit and a kinda Band-Aid type fix right now so the bike is still ridable but the shifting isn't quite right in this configuration.

This didn't happen until I switched the OE arm over to GP Shift. Other than that it's stock parts (Rearsets, hardware and gear change mechanism) and I've used red Loctite and torqued the bolt down as tight as I can get it (will admit to not looking for the recommended torque) and it still backed out the second time.

Anyone know how I can this?
Blue loctite

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought when it backed out the first time was I should just Loctite it in, used Red which is supposed to be the higher grade than blue and it still backed out. Has me scratching my head.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
He he he, this does happen! I remember one ride many years ago, I can't remember which rider this happened to but yep, the thing fell right off and somehow we got him going again.

If you used red locking agent and it still backed out, threads are no good. Replace all affected parts with new. Blue locking agent, tighten to spec. Threads may look OK but are not. Replace bolt. The parts are cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts