Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i had 1st gear sprocket broken and had gearbox serviced. Meanwhile i changed stock shift star and sping with factory Pro star and sping.

Issue is that can not find neutral anymore - it shifts from 1st to second or visaversa. Have to turn the bike off first, then it still shifts to second and only after that i am able to move it to neutral finally.

Have just made this changes and apart from above issues shifting has become hard, it is smoother but to move lever it takes a bit of pain and extra force.

If anyone has any idea or experienced same please reply.

Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Did you remove the 3 positive neutral finder ball bearings from the transmission when it was serviced? If so, it will want to just go straight from 1st to 2nd at a stop. Mike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We actually replaced those three balls, but i remember the service guy used grease to set them in place. They might be still in the grease and not moving yet as they should. Could this be an issue? Thanks al lot

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
We actually replaced those three balls, but i remember the service guy used grease to set them in place. They might be still in the grease and not moving yet as they should. Could this be an issue? Thanks al lot
I'd say that was probably your issue....

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yep no grease or you're having that issue

·
Registered
171 Posts
There's no doubt that there shouldn't be any grease on those ball bearings, but with that being said, it does not necessarily has to be the problem.
I would check the clutch cable and make sure that it's not harder to change gears than what it used to be before the repair.
If this is not the problem and the issue seems to be the grease on the ball bearings I'd still check the clutch as well on the way to get to the star shift, just to make sure it was installed properly and operating within range.
All together it shouldn't cost you more then clutch gasket, oil pan gasket and a few hours of work.
And guys, I'm not trying to defend the guy, but don't be so quick to judge other people's work, we all make mistakes every now and then. Yes, it shouldn't happen, but sometimes they do.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Not saying you don't have a problem with your trans like others mentioned. BUT I had the same scenario when I installed my shift kit. In fact I have a buddy who just installed the kit in his ZX-6r and mentioned the same frustration.

The issue is the Factory Pro spring has to be broken in. After about 100 miles the shifting became better and finding neutral is no problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not saying you don't have a problem with your trans like others mentioned. BUT I had the same scenario when I installed my shift kit. In fact I have a buddy who just installed the kit in his ZX-6r and mentioned the same frustration.

The issue is the Factory Pro spring has to be broken in. After about 100 miles the shifting became better and finding neutral is no problem.
I have the same star shift on my bike and it worked perfectly from day one, never had any issues with it. Just saying :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts