Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So after starting my racing career this year, and obtaining sponsorships, I realized how important it was going to be to gain a social media following. I immediately made an Instagram and have been focusing my attention to it and the formulas they use to determine popularity and 'top posts' for given hashtags. I started it in May and have been working on a game plan ever since. I have paired up with some larger pages to grow and started trial running a new method of gaining like-minded followers. On friday, when I started the new battle plan, I had 1,140 semi-inactive followers. As of the time of writing this post I already have 2,178 incredibly active followers. That's over a THOUSAND followers gained in approximately 3 days! I went from my top post having around 30 likes to my top post now having 156 likes and being the 'top post' for popularity under the hastag #MotorcycleRacing.

So the question is: Why should you care? Why does this matter to you?

After I hit 5,000 foloowers (which is easily projected to be done before the end of August) I will be starting weekly giveaways. It will start out as Josiah Burke Racing stickers, keychains, t-shirts, etc. but will be expanding to gear and motorcycle accessories as I pair with my sponsors after the initial proof of concept.

So follow me, keep up on my rapidly progressing racing career, and get a chance at some free swag.

@josiah.edward

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,226 Posts
If only I did the social media thing, I'd be all over it for you. But alas, best of luck.

#bump

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Social media is a blessing and a curse... I really, really, really loathe it and about 99% of the people that use it.

But, it can be a very effective tool to promote and get visibility for yourself and/or your company/brand... I know if I didn't find it effective in that regard, I wouldn't be using it.

Best of luck and followed.
-Anthony

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Social media is what it is but what about winning races? Or even finishing races?

Just saying but then I am old-school.
I'm not sure quite what you're implying but I do race ....and finish ....and podium. I've been working on my social media presence because that's what sponsors want. Although getting finish top three may be awesome, they care more about visibility than placement. Their job is to market a product. The more eyes that see it, the more unique clicks and likes, the more product they sell. It's all a game of numbers.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Wrote a bunch o stuff and deleted it. lol.
Maybe you should hang around here for a while and get to know some people before you ask this? Its kinda like going around and asking complete strangers to like you when they've never met you. And none of us know what your stats are. Ive never liked anyone to get free stuff, I liked em because of how they race, where they finish and maybe for personality but not to get free stickers. Just sayin.
Maybe wait til you have a couple hundred posts for Shameless Self Promotion? Might go over better.

Edit - with your post count it just comes across as trolling forums for clicks.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
You've been following Marcel haven't you...

Social media gets you sponsors, which help you win races.

He's being entrepreneurial, racing doesn't pay what it used to, gotta get what you can where you can, who knows what shameless plug gets him a deal on tires, parts, fuel, transport, entry fees etc paid for him.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Who is this Marcel?? lol.
And yea, sounds like a great deal....if you're Josiah. Sounds like hits on Instagram are more important than race finishes (right Fang?). Being entrepreneurial is great, I just think it goes over better having some background as opposed to just blanket marketing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wrote a bunch o stuff and deleted it. lol.
Maybe you should hang around here for a while and get to know some people before you ask this? Its kinda like going around and asking complete strangers to like you when they've never met you. And none of us know what your stats are. Ive never liked anyone to get free stuff, I liked em because of how they race, where they finish and maybe for personality but not to get free stickers. Just sayin.
Maybe wait til you have a couple hundred posts for Shameless Self Promotion? Might go over better.

Edit - with your post count it just comes across as trolling forums for clicks.
I was thinking this same thing. Not about number of posts, but if you're going to try to promote yourself, sell yourself. I'm not going to follow a guy who looks like he could possibly be trolling if I've never heard of you? Not that I follow amateur racing, which I don't, but are you winning or placing in races? How about you give us some more info about you? Not what you are trying to do and maybe we will see you as a genuine person you could be over a guy who is only selling himself? Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
All he's asking for is an instagram like. Some people do that here and aren't even on zx-10r's lol. i'm the king of overreacting, that being said, you may be overreacting, just sayin.

would his rank in standings in his ASRA and CCS classes help? maybe. sponsors?Wisconsin. #309. shitty websites from asra/ccs make finding his results not the easiest, could only find some from blackhawk farms but that's about it for my 2 minute google his name test https://www.facebook.com/josiah.burke

anyway, what harm does it do, to follow one more among a few dozen?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Who is this Marcel?? lol.
And yea, sounds like a great deal....if you're Josiah. Sounds like hits on Instagram are more important than race finishes (right Fang?). Being entrepreneurial is great, I just think it goes over better having some background as opposed to just blanket marketing.
Marcell Irnie, lol...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Today "social media" often comes first, results second or not at all.

The first thing I would say to the OP is to tell us who and what you are FIRST. What have you done? Where do you race? What kind of motorcycle do you race and in what classes? And most importantly, how well have you finished and what are your goals?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
All he's asking for is an instagram like. Some people do that here and aren't even on zx-10r's lol. i'm the king of overreacting, that being said, you may be overreacting, just sayin.

would his rank in standings in his ASRA and CCS classes help? maybe. sponsors?Wisconsin. #309. shitty websites from asra/ccs make finding his results not the easiest, could only find some from blackhawk farms but that's about it for my 2 minute google his name test https://www.facebook.com/josiah.burke

anyway, what harm does it do, to follow one more among a few dozen?
Links to relevant websites should have been in the OP.

An Internet forum is not properly social media; it can be a portal to same.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You guys are old geezers...lol.

This is how all the cool kids do things these days. Love it or hate it...or to be more accurate, like it or don't click the like button...this is they way of the generation that's younger than most of us.

Props to dude for trying. Little did he know what a hornet's nest he was walking into here.

But to be fair, he DID disclose that it was a shameless plug, so...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You guys are old geezers...lol.

This is how all the cool kids do things these days. Love it or hate it...or to be more accurate, like it or don't click the like button...this is they way of the generation that's younger than most of us.

Props to dude for trying. Little did he know what a hornet's nest he was walking into here.

But to be fair, he DID disclose that it was a shameless plug, so...
OK I have to say it.

We old geezers invented social media. (No, Zuckerberg et. al. did not invent it, they adapted simplistic applications to take advantage of already extant technology. Think Cisco, Intel, Apple, and Tim Berners-Lee. Think Arpanet, Unix, and Shockley, et. al.)

I was building websites for clients in motorsports, most with excellent name recognition, from the late 1990s and beyond. Amazon.com was created in 1994 so that puts me in the first decade of serious Internet development.

Part of my work also included Public Relations.

This was all long before "social media" became a term used to describe a vague sea of marketing mediocrity.

What we call social media is a very well-organized and successful effort by the major multi-media firms to take ownership and control of the Internet as they had already done with newspapers (think W. H. Hearst), radio, television, cable TV, and now, finally, the Worldwide Web. I watched this happen carefully every step of the way.

Data-gathering and tracking of personal information is extreme.

These so-called youthful users have no experience with the hard and fast rules of successful promotion, and many have the notion that just getting onto "social media" is the way to success.

There are now well over a billion humans on social media and anyone can "get on it." The www is awash in a sea of content, most of it redundant, repetitive, and utterly lacking in originality, but especially imbued with vanity (selfies abound).

To truly stand out from the madding crowd, the great unwashed, a man or woman must show something other than having signed up for facebook, twitter, or instagram. "Check out my facebook page" is not a marketing strategy, it's wishful thinking.

Otherwise he/she is just another face in a faceless crowd.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
No problem showing you some Instagram love, you have a new follower. FB, twitter, IG, it all is important for building a brand and a business. You will really pick up once you have a famous somebody in your field repost your pics. I do it myself and it works great. Best of luck, I wish all of you success in life @eldoctorcardenas

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
Fang, in one sentence you say social media has been around since the '90's, yet your last paragraph only lists the 3 most popular venues today. Social media began existence as internet forums, yahoo groups, chat rooms, etc. There are examples of people who have used social media avenues to market and promote themselves successfully, and i would argue that any new product or company needs to use these avenues to reach a larger audience. Print, TV, and radio advertising can only do so much, and their reach is shrinking, especially in print.

I agree that, "check out my Facebook page" is not a marketing strategy. What the OP did and is doing is creating a trend within the larger community of Instagram users with the common interest of #MotorcycleRacing. By Jo actively participating in and growing a community, he looks more attractive to potential sponsors who want to market their product to the #MotorcycleRacing community. He's making himself look like a valuable spokesperson.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Fang, in one sentence you say social media has been around since the '90's, yet your last paragraph only lists the 3 most popular venues today. Social media began existence as internet forums, yahoo groups, chat rooms, etc. There are examples of people who have used social media avenues to market and promote themselves successfully, and i would argue that any new product or company needs to use these avenues to reach a larger audience. Print, TV, and radio advertising can only do so much, and their reach is shrinking, especially in print.

I agree that, "check out my Facebook page" is not a marketing strategy. What the OP did and is doing is creating a trend within the larger community of Instagram users with the common interest of #MotorcycleRacing. By Jo actively participating in and growing a community, he looks more attractive to potential sponsors who want to market their product to the #MotorcycleRacing community. He's making himself look like a valuable spokesperson.
Yes, I understand this. He is placing a dollar value on each follower and hoping that by stating to sponsors "I have five thousand followers" somehow the sponsor will believe that a certain percentage of those followers will purchase the sponsor's product.

I mentioned only three because they were the more or less the Big Three. Now there are scores of social media websites and I need not list any more of them.

Where the OP went very wrong is not providing a career resume. He will firstly have to have something to sell: either race wins or frequent podiums, or exciting on-track action, or good looks or some combination of the above. His equipment will need to look first-rate, not like privateer patchwork. His team will need to look professional and well-equipped. His race schedule will need to be full and he'll need to complete the season with exceptional results.

Then he'll need to create content and update that content very, very frequently. Onboard cameras to record the racing action, tech articles posted describing how he's improving his performance by modifying his equipment (within the rules of course), updates on the travel schedule and anecdotes about how tough but rewarding all this racing stuff is...and upload all of that daily.

Everybody is trying to do this.

What is going to make this one person stand out from the crowd?

Take it for what it's worth but the old adage is true. Money talks, bullsh*t walks.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
Yes, I understand this. He is placing a dollar value on each follower and hoping that by stating to sponsors "I have five thousand followers" somehow the sponsor will believe that a certain percentage of those followers will purchase the sponsor's product.

What is going to make this one person stand out from the crowd?

I have done this, successfully. Three championships, national-level sponsors, articles about my team and rider in major national newspapers, and so on. I know how to do it and I say this only to pass along something of value. Been there, done that, done it well. It takes money to run a race team and to maintain web content.

Take it for what it's worth but the old adage is true. Money talks, bullsh*t walks.
I'm with ya. and now to derail completely into my own agenda:

I'm also a club racer who has been racing for 1 year. Obtaining useful sponsors is difficult, and as you said, it takes money to run a race "team". It takes money to run a single racer. I've got some sponsors who are happy to provide a discount, but I could do a lot more with more support. So, how do I start. It takes money to make money. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to divulge your secrets to the interwebs.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts