Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my factory Dunlop front tire started showing some wear, so I decided to replace it with a Michelin Pilot Power 2ct.

I rode it home and at 150+ mph the front started shaking, a little at first then really bad as the speed went up. I took it back to the dealer and they said everything was good. I took it out again and it's still doing it, pretty much all the time, sometimes it's not that bad and other times it is.

Any idea what it could be? It never shook when I had the Dunlop on it, and as far as I know they didn't change any suspension settings or anything...

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Something is definitely not right. I would go through the front end a bit...take the rim off and make sure the spacers are correct and whatnot. Make sure stuff is also torqued to spec. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah sounds like a balance issue I had the same problem with a set of tyres once before the front was over balanced by a serious amount of weight is all I remember LOL.. Id maybe take it to another place and have them re check the balance..good luck..

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Could also be as simple as the hieghts of the dunlop and michelins are different. If I had to guess the michelin may have slightly raised the front which could cause the stability issue. Maybe most noticable at higher speed. The michelin probably has a more angular profile, giving you a smaller contact patch when straight up. Without measuring before and after, it's just a guess. Maybe try raising the forks a few milimeters and test riding? It absolutely could be a tire manufacturing issue also.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I had that happen on the track and those speed's and the suspension guy added compression to my forks, it helped

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so I did a 150+ mph run today and it seems like it might just be a contact patch/different tire thing...

It started to shake a little til I loosened my grip on the handlebars, then it went away. It's probably because the Pilot Powers are a lot narrower than the Dunlops, I could tell that as soon as I pulled out of the dealership by how much easier it turned...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wheels need balancing and you need a steering damper!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts