Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks for taking a look at this post...

I'm new to the strip, but have been riding since 18 (just turned 31 last week).

Goal: 1st, beat my friends 10.3x vette. 2nd, get into the 9's

Heres what I got:
-A green 04,
-Lowered to 3" ground clearance
-K&N
-Rear seat cowl
-16 tooth front sprocket, stock rear
-no muffler (basically, an exhaust tip mounted to the midpipe, right after the -servo motor/butterfly valve)
-2CT PILOT POWER 190 rear tire
-Im 6'-1", 205

????????????????????
Before I hit the strip:
-Get a strap (understood)
-Gearing ?
-?????????

At the strip:
-Launch rpm?
-Shift points (redline is my guess)
-???????????

Experienced help is appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
:welcome:

I dabble at drag racing...go to a strip and lap!!!

Strap is good, extensions are good(not hair)

Get your ass back and tuck your head...let out the clutch so the front just leaves the ground and shift...

Lower the gearing...mine is -1 front and its still way to high.

Replace clutch as needed.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Strap is a good idea to start. I'd leave the gearing at what you have it at until you get used to launching hard. Try leaving at "around" 5k and try different revs to get what works best for you.Slip the clutch as to avoid a big wheelie but not so much as to just burn the damn clutch up. It takes time to get this step right but you'll get it. As for shift points if you've had the bike dyno'd take a look at the dyno sheet and see where the power curve drops off and shift right before that. Or if you don't have that shift around 12k and eventally you will be able to go off of the sound and not even look at the tac. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Gearing, I would go with a 15 on the front and start there.(this will give you a little more wheelbase also if the bike is still short) start leaving around 6000 and get the throttle locked as soon as you can(this may take a few hundred feet with the bike short unless you are very good with the clutch.) good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Take the seat off and get comfortable on the bike and leave between 5-6k rpm's slipping the clutch and hitting your shift points.....Plus, get as much seat time as you can.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Take the seat off and get comfortable on the bike and leave between 5-6k rpm's slipping the clutch and hitting your shift points.....Plus, get as much seat time as you can.
Are you serious? meaning you take and run with the seat off :dontknow:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
a few guys do it but i dont see a reason since the seat dont weight much.
it wouldn't be a matter of weight but slipping on the seat, but that's what cut down seats are for. I loose a lot of time because my arse is slipping back down the seat and I can't get out of first gear quick, but wouldn't want to run without a seat :headshake:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't had issues w/seat slippage (I think the rear cowl and my height helps) as opposed to getting my feet on the pegs after launching in time to shift to second at redline. Most of the guys I watch don't launch w/one foot on the peg, but they may have air shifters... Any of you (non-air shifter) guys have good luck leaving w/the left foot on the peg?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
it wouldn't be a matter of weight but slipping on the seat, but that's what cut down seats are for. I loose a lot of time because my arse is slipping back down the seat and I can't get out of first gear quick, but wouldn't want to run without a seat :headshake:
Why not add padding to the rear cowl. Like the MotoGP boys do. That will help you stay in one place and prevent you from slipping back too far. (A non blanket statement) :thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Why not add padding to the rear cowl. Like the MotoGP boys do. That will help you stay in one place and prevent you from slipping back too far. (A non blanket statement) :thumbsup:
Lol...i get your smart arse remark:heyyou: :lol: ....i'm thinking of running without the seat next time until I get a back up seat for racing. Also, my last time a few weeks back a Busa guy did just that, but the orientation of the Gix is different than that a NINJA...that guy just added padding to the rear cowl that he bought from PepBoys...on a Ninja 10r it's not that easy as it slopes down, only cutting the seat is the best option so far.:cool:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Lol...i get your smart arse remark:heyyou: :lol: ....i'm thinking of running without the seat next time until I get a back up seat for racing. Also, my last time a few weeks back a Busa guy did just that, but the orientation of the Gix is different than that a NINJA...that guy just added padding to the rear cowl that he bought from PepBoys...on a Ninja 10r it's not that easy as it slopes down, only cutting the seat is the best option so far.:cool:
Try fitting a rear race tail from a race fairing setup. That has a flat section right behind you and does not slope in any direction. Thus you can add as much padding as you need. :wink:

·
Registered
259 Posts
It may be uncomfortable sittin on the subframe and battery, but you can also take the staples out of the seat and pull the entire foam out put staples back in and get the same affect only with a seat in place..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts