Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help ,im 75kgs (165 lbs ) and i think im too light for the bike what settings should i dial in?? or does anyone know a good susspension place in or near stratford upon avon uk.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What is the problem??? I'm 160lbs and use manufacturing settings without issues.

·
Registered
282 Posts
In the manual it says it is set up for the "average rider" which is actually very close to your weight. I'm 200lbs and needed to stiffen up my preload and compression dampening. The mechanic didn't put enough rebound dampening in so it "see-sawed" a bit untill i stiffened that up more also.

Describe your problem and how you feel and the boys here in this forum might be able to help you set it yourself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the manual it says it is set up for the "average rider" which is actually very close to your weight. I'm 200lbs and needed to stiffen up my preload and compression dampening. The mechanic didn't put enough rebound dampening in so it "see-sawed" a bit untill i stiffened that up more also.

Describe your problem and how you feel and the boys here in this forum might be able to help you set it yourself.
well the problem is when im riding and i hit a bump it feels like my back is about to shatter , and also when im on the bike i find myself pushed right up close to the tank ,when i sit futher back on the seat it feels more comfortable but it doesnt last long before im wedged in up against the tank .any help or ideas much appreaciated . joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
hmmm, well you should probably start with your rear preload. I would get a mechanic to adjust this for you as it is a tad complicated if your don't have stands, a buddy,and the right tools for the rear spring.

One thing I noticed about the 08/09 10R is that it feels much firmer than the stock settings of the 06/07. I immediately noticed it the second I rode it home from the dealer!! If that is the setting for a 65k man, and I'm 93kg then wow that must be a stiff ride for a lighter rider! I went to the mechanic to adjust my settings and I specified it to be adjusted for the track. Leaving the dealer I felt it rode higher at the front and if I wasn't committing to a corner hard and seriously it wanted to run ride. But oh man on the track was it amazing in every way!!! Never wiggled out under me under hard acceleration out of the corners and felt so solid and secure hard braking then trail braking into the corners at the end of the straights!! On rails in the corners...though I did play with the front rebound to tweak the mechanics settings.

I digress.....On the street is as you describe....it flings me up over some medium to big road bumps, often catching me by surprise. Personally I like the feeling of riding such a dedicated hard as nails unforgiving machine on track settings, but every so often I have a second thought about softening it up.

Ironically the rear preload doesn't give much more room for making the sag less (if you were heavier like me). There is only about 4.5 to 5mm of thread left if you want to set the sag for a heavier rider for the track. But there is much more thread distance on the rear spring to soften it up.

This leads me to believe the stock settings are intended to be hard and meant for the track! I only adjusted my rear preload by about 3mm of thread. That doesn't leave me much if I were any heavier!!! And it felt pretty stiff driving off the lot too, even before using 3mm of the remaining 4.5 or so.

The dealer didn't play with my rear dampening or rebound much 1/4 to 1/2 turn at most on these settings.

So I would say there is plenty of room to play with the settings to soften them up, especially for the street!!!!

IMO the bike is set up to be a stiff dedicated track bike.

If you're interested I can give you my settings and you can compare that to yourself taking into account our 40lbs difference. My guess is stock for your weight is not ideal for the street even though the manual says it's set up for your weight.

Just my opinion though. Check around.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I don't weigh much either so I've always had to deal with the same problem. The suspension on sportbikes aren't setup for a 165 lb rider. On the latest 10R, the forks are too stiff and the shock is too soft even if you're just on the street.

The stock stuff should have enough adjustability to get it close for the street so you can either learn how to adjust your own and play with different settings or you can get in touch with a suspension/race shop and ask them for recommendations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kawasaki publishes a suspension set up manual for the 08/09. I'm not sure how helpful it would be as I have not read thru it much as I have taken off all the stock stuff and put on Ohlins,

It is in a .pdf file and I would be glad to email it to you if you PM me a email address.

Magic
yeh that would be very helpful cheers . my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
33 Posts
i weigh 230 # and riding on the freeway when i hit the seams at a bridge crossing = ouch ,i already have back pain ,and dont need any more ,i backed off every thing a little . its better now . the yamaha i had was plush compared to the suspension on the 08 zx10

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm around 165 lbs and had to take some preload out on the front and a bunch on the rear to get the sag correct. I had zero sag with the factory settings.

edit...and the front is still too stiff. That stock 150lb setup must be for a high speed track only.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
is there any good site to find suspension setups?... i know sport rider has one, and i found a few on here.... but they could be a bit more helpful

1 - 13 of 13 Posts