Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well I got the chance to try out for the 2011 zx-10r the Servo Buddy which eliminates the exhaust servo and makes the bike not throw a FI light. Very useful if your looking to drop weight and not throw an annoying FI light.

Have to start off with saying this thing is very nicely put together, all connectors and nice and neat and the unit its self is a very tight unit. I seriously wish I had one of these when I had my 04 zx10r. So far the bike is not throwing any FI lights, I've even included a start up video of the bike running and you can see no FI lights on what so ever.

So here is the instructions for the 2011 ZX-10r Install along with pics

First off you'll have to remove the rear seat and then remove the 4 bolts that hold the top rear fairing on (4mm allen) Gently lift up and pull back to pull the rear upper fairing piece off.

Then Remove the rider seat which has 2 10mm headed bolts in place

Now you can access the exhaust servo, there are 2 ways of removing the cables that run to this servo, one is if you have a safety torx bit you can remove the wheel and pull the servo wheel off like pictured below

OR you can expose the cable adjuster as see below and make the cables have more slack in them and you can just slide the cables off od the servo motor its self.

cables unhooked

Now you can unscrew the 2 philips headed screws that hold the servo motor in place.

Now you need to disconnect the electrical connectors that are attached to the servo motor, the white one is a real pain in the butt connector, best to use something small like a pick or a small flat head to pry this connecotr off, very hard to do with your fingers.

Picture of the servo and servo buddy together

You can tuck the servo buddy right next to the battery

Next you will have to remove the bottom part of the cables, pretty simple with the exception of the one innder bolt thats somewhat hard to get to but it all comes off very easy. You will need a 4mm allen and a 10mm wrench.

Makes a great place to put a power commander :thumbsup:

Anyways so there the write up, works perfect. Half the cost than normal and you can get them here at www.servobuddy.com

the servo buddy weighs 6 Ounces the servo motor and the cables weigh 20 ounces so almost a 1 pound weight savings.

Heres a start up vid of the bike running with no FI light.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have one on my 07 ZX-6... I was quite pleased with how well it worked and it basically allows the exhaust valve to be open 24/7.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Looks like it frees up a perfect PC location.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
so there is absolutely no downside to having "not enough" backpressure with this keeping the valve open full time? i've always wondered why people are doing this. aside from weight...when the valve closes, it increases backpressure, that HAS to do something to the system...so now it's open 24/7....and the effects of that are?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely nothing on this bike, considering the Cat on this bike makes about 50 turns inside your still going to have more than enough back pressure.

Mostly when people talk about not enough back pressure it has to deal with pipes that are pretty much open headers. That is when the exhaust system is not beneficial

·
Registered
376 Posts
Why do so many people think ripping emission shit of your bike is gonna make it run worse or something:dontknow:. Getting rid of the exhaust valve and the secondary throttle plates were the cheapest/best things i did for my bike lol.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Why do so many people think ripping emission shit of your bike is gonna make it run worse or something:dontknow:. Getting rid of the exhaust valve and the secondary throttle plates were the cheapest/best things i did for my bike lol.:thumbsup:
Oh i don't necessarily think it will harm anything...but that's why i'm asking. Just gathering intel from all you smerty-pants's out there.

and thanks garth for the explination. but that just brings about another question...partially off topic...why do some guys run gutted cats then...what's the benefit in this. and as for those secondary flies, isn't that what the TRE does? just open them sooner? or full time. isn't that all the TRE does...or does it do more...all those TRE threads are so confusion with everyone claiming different things:heyyou:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a problem dude....

So far what we have found from the TRE is actually more of a placebo pill. The actual maps inside the ECU have the same map in them in ALL gears with the exception of the neutral map which has I think a very tinyt bit more timing it is.

The thing about the TRE is it makes the bike think its in 5th or 2nd or something so basically the fuel and timing maps would be the same. The secondarys I believe and I may be wrong but they have the same maps as well minus 6th gear???

This data has been proven by Guhl Motors posting the timing maps of these bikes and showing what each map has in it.

The gutted cats WILL help you. you do need a certain amount of back pressure but the bikes do not need the cats in there if your looking for max power, they are just another restriction in your exhaust.

When I talk about having not enough back pressure I'm talking about someone having say a set of free flow headers but not running the muffler or a short cut tip with no baffel, you will have not enough back pressure.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the servobuddy on my 06 zx10 and it works flawlessly. Great product:thumbsup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
looks like i have some more studying to do. I have an 06 10r with stock exhaust and A&R baffles, really likes what i was hearing about the TRE's, but don't wanna waste 150bux on something that doesn't work or is gonna end up hurting my bike ya know. Really wanted to gain as many ponies as i can in a cheap way...so if gutting the cats and disconnecting the secondaries & exhaust servo will help me at all...then i'm all for that. I have no plans of getting a full exhaust for an extra 10 or so hp...not for $1000. don't seem worth it to me with as powerful as the bike is already. just lookin for relatively cheaper modifications. Also heard about the velocity stacks...and they will add a few ponies..but dunno if that is founded either. I do have a PC3...but all the maps i've found on here for A&R baffles i can't get to come up. stock filter...no use in paying $ for a diff filter that will do nothing for me. any ideas where i could go from here?? I'm deff going after sprokets soon...so in your opinion...is the TRE worth the coin? servo buddy seems like a good choice...removing the secondaries sounds like a good deal...just don't wanna do something that is gonna make the bike run like poo

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Skip the TRE....

Remove the secondary throttle plates and the exhaust servo valve. The servo buddy is only 60 bucks so you can loose the weight and gain trunk space..... Maybe do a gearing change if needed for more acceleration?

·
Registered
249 Posts
yea i think gearing is the 1st thing i'm looking at doing...then i'll decide...throttle plates and servo look pretty cheap and easy. i do value acceleration over top end...but that's just me...i have no need to go 180 or 190...but i love getting up to 150mph as fast as possible. know what else i was thinking about...wrapping my stock exhaust in a thin sheet of carbon fiber....maybe just to put a little umpf into a plain looking can. who knows...i can see we got off topic a bit here...sorry for that. just gettin excited being as tho it's march and warmer days will soon be here

·
Registered
376 Posts
yea i think gearing is the 1st thing i'm looking at doing...then i'll decide...throttle plates and servo look pretty cheap and easy. i do value acceleration over top end...but that's just me...i have no need to go 180 or 190...but i love getting up to 150mph as fast as possible. know what else i was thinking about...wrapping my stock exhaust in a thin sheet of carbon fiber....maybe just to put a little umpf into a plain looking can. who knows...i can see we got off topic a bit here...sorry for that. just gettin excited being as tho it's march and warmer days will soon be here
I didn't mean to sound like a smart ass earlier so I apologize for that. Btw i just wanted to say keep your eyes peeled on her for used exhausts if I would like to get one for cheap. I picked up a full akrapovic exhaust with a carbon fiber can for $250 bucks. It prob retailed for $1500+ new! Saves weight, looks and sounds nice, and makes a couple more ponies! Let the warm days begin! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like a smart ass earlier so I apologize for that. Btw i just wanted to say keep your eyes peeled on her for used exhausts if I would like to get one for cheap. I picked up a full akrapovic exhaust with a carbon fiber can for $250 bucks. It prob retailed for $1500+ new! Saves weight, looks and sounds nice, and makes a couple more ponies! Let the warm days begin! :thumbsup:
No harm done...yea i've been keeping my eyes peeled...so far nothing too great...but maybe i'll luck out. 250 would have been more than appealing to get me to bite...for a full akro exit...lucky freaking guy....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts