Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we have all sat on the sidelines and hoped for some BS magazine articles to say the 10r is god, yet time and time again the 10r cant do shit in any level of world racing, but canada..(is that for real?)
What does it take for kawasaki to put together a package that can win on the showroom & the track?

some love the preying mantis look, others dont....some love the motor and others hate the suspnesion..
at what point does kawaski uses it Billion dollar empire to make a bike that is competitive on a world stage?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
yet time and time again the 10r cant do shit in any level of world racing, but canada..(is that for real?)
4 consecutive Pro Superbike and 4 consecutive Pro Sport bike championships.

In Canada, they do really well but the Kawi factory team has more support than Suzuki or Yamaha... there is no factory Honda team.

Who knows if/when they'll ever be competitive.

·
Registered
424 Posts
and there it lies. Its all about support and parts and spending money on riders that can develop a bike.Kawasaki heavy Industries does not consider BIkes one of its major ventures.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
^exactly... it's all in who wants to pay their riders the most.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
You said it seatec.

Kawi is just not putting the money into it like Suzuki is.

They have been slacking in their R & D dept and supporting race teams.

All that being said.. I still love the shit outta my 10R, that fast somebitch...

Wouldn't trade my 05 for no damn new Busa or Gixxer.

Gen 1 pride:+1::+1::eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have huge 1st gen pride (and kawasaki pride), but shit man even in superstock the newer 10r is plain sad...and we are talking about almost stock bikes here.
get shit all the time from the local italians about other than the cool kawi green kawi is a joke....but they are fast in a straightline if that matters to you.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
Yes, but without real factory support he is not going to be able to stay up with the big boys. His performance has been really, really good.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'm with you guys but Marco has been doing pretty good in MotoGP this year. I mean compared to the past.
And last time I checked, Kawi was ahead of Yamaha in points in SBK.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Don't forget Sport Rider named the '09 10R street bike of the year. Yet some asshat wrote in to the editor claiming that something was fishy because there wasn't any Kawi adds in the magazine, and they named it streetbike of the year.:dontknow: How could some one think that was fishy? So the editor replied "So it's wrong for us to give streetbike of the year to a manufacturer that doesn't pay us millions for advertising?:dontknow:

·
Registered
571 Posts
And last time I checked, Kawi was ahead of Yamaha in points in SBK.
What SBK series are you talkin' about? :dontknow:

Guys, it's real simpe... the Kawi is a good bike. In the hands of the right rider/team it could run at the front. The problem is that other than the Canadian series that's just not happening.:dontknow:

I don't want to sound condescending but I don't think most of you realize what it takes to go racing even at a lowly 'Club' level.:headshake The amount of resources it takes to get even near the top of that type of racing is significant and it's nothing compared to the national/international series.

At the levels you're talking about like AMA Superbike, World Superbike etc the level of competition is absolutely rediculous. If you don't have just the right combination of rider/team/management/tires/suspension/motor etc you're going to get your ass kicked.... plain and simple. Unforunately, it's been a long damn time since Kawi has had that combination with the ZX-10R.

:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The Canadian superbike rules are much more limiting as far as allowable modifications than the US, BSB or World SBK levels. They are closer to a Superstock than a Superbike, in the more global definition of racebike classes.

The ZX-10R can be successful at the very top levels of racing, but I really think it's the chassis design (frame and swingarm package and geometry, stiffness, flex, etc.) that really keep it from becoming a contender.

Love or hate the "Mantis", the Gen 3 as far as race readiness goes, is a giant leap forward on the Gen 1. My perception of the difference coming from a modded out Gen 1 with worked-on Ohlins forks and shock was that a bone stock Gen 3 ZX-10R was notably better. Yes, the Ohlins stuff was better damped than the stock suspension on the Gen 3, but the feedback, turn in feel, and stability was immediately apparent.

The stock Gen 3 can find it's way around the track. It is usually running near the front on the magazine lap times, often close to if not beating the heralded CBR1000RR on many occassion.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Canadian superbike rules are much more limiting as far as allowable modifications than the US, BSB or World SBK levels. They are closer to a Superstock than a Superbike, in the more global definition of racebike classes.

The ZX-10R can be successful at the very top levels of racing, but I really think it's the chassis design (frame and swingarm package and geometry, stiffness, flex, etc.) that really keep it from becoming a contender.

Love or hate the "Mantis", the Gen 3 as far as race readiness goes, is a giant leap forward on the Gen 1. My perception of the difference coming from a modded out Gen 1 with worked-on Ohlins forks and shock was that a bone stock Gen 3 ZX-10R was notably better. Yes, the Ohlins stuff was better damped than the stock suspension on the Gen 3, but the feedback, turn in feel, and stability was immediately apparent.

The stock Gen 3 can find it's way around the track. It is usually running near the front on the magazine lap times, often close to if not beating the heralded CBR1000RR on many occassion.
Your info is based on what?

The stock Gen 3 can't find it's way around? WTF are you talking about? The stock shock sucks but they all do. The stock forks in the 10 are outstanding!

I went damn fast on my 08 bone stock and know people at Willow that tested them and went 24's BONE STOCK. That's damn impressive....

·
Registered
492 Posts
U better re-read that Quig. He said the stock Gen 3 CAN find its way around the track

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Your info is based on what?

The stock Gen 3 can't find it's way around? WTF are you talking about? The stock shock sucks but they all do. The stock forks in the 10 are outstanding!

I went damn fast on my 08 bone stock and know people at Willow that tested them and went 24's BONE STOCK. That's damn impressive....
I said, that a stock ZX-10R CAN find it's way around a track, meaning that it usually runs up front on most magazine comparo's in laptimes.

The stock forks are indeed excellent, except for the spring being too stiff for my weight. The stock shock is not great on the Gen 3 but it is a lot better than previous years.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I said, that a stock ZX-10R CAN find it's way around a track, meaning that it usually runs up front on most magazine comparo's in laptimes.

The stock forks are indeed excellent, except for the spring being too stiff for my weight. The stock shock is not great on the Gen 3 but it is a lot better than previous years.
Ugh... I need to pay better attention. Sorry about that! :eek:ccasion1

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
like was said earlier, funding is the number one issue for kawi's lack of competitiveness as well as finding quality riders. When it comes to world level racing for some reason Kawasaki always seems to employ riders who cant win for one reason or another.

·
Registered
571 Posts
like was said earlier, funding is the number one issue for kawi's lack of competitiveness as well as finding quality riders. When it comes to world level racing for some reason Kawasaki always seems to employ riders who cant win for one reason or another.
That's just one part of the puzzle... it happens to be a damn important part of that puzzle though.:wink:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I dont consider suspension even a factor when thinking of competitiveness, they just throw out the stock stuff and put ohlins on there anyways. I think they just cant get a rider out there to get it to the front, a good rider would be more than they want to pay. They are taking dirt bikes though, they could win if its what they want. I think they are happy where they are currently.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I think the 3rd gen ZX10R is an amazing bike. I actually LOVE the feel of the bike. I find that it give me great feed back, turns well and that engine!! I wouldnt trade this bike for anything else. I can ride my ZX10R faster and harder in the twisties than I can ride my brothers R1.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts