Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a technical problem in my bike that I couldn't find a solution for till now. The thing is, whenever I rev my bike to 10k-13k and let go, the engine would not go idling as it supposed to do...

Instead, it gets stuck somewhere between 5k-7k!!! When I force the throttle to close, it does close, but as soon as I let go the throttle, the engine would rev back up to where it was...

I figured when I need to temp. solve this, I had to widely open the throttle and close it in fast motion while the clutch is plugged in or while the bike is switched off....

To fix this, I have looked at the whole throttle control cable system, its functioning well, nothing is stuck.. I removed the PC3, none of this was the problem....

I'm just curious if anybody has experienced something like this... and how it was fixed..... This problem has cost me a lowside at the track today!

So, please guys, help me with whatever you know.

Thanks and happy thanks given.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had a similar issue and it's because your throttle cables are binding. If you look down the left side of your forks where your throttle cables go under the tank there are kinks in both cables...they have to be perfectly placed and your cables not going over each other. The kinks need to be right where the cables start going up and to the right to your throttle. Once they're set right you never have to worry about them again (unless you move them or something). You may not think they're binding but they are ;)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If you have changed your grips, readjust your cables.
Check also what said above by DrainFade. Last thing would be the TPS sensor..

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
:+1: a kink or kinks in the throttle line is what I also suspect. If you have done something else to the bike like the 1/5 throttle inserts, you might need to adjust the slack.. if the adjuster is already maxed out, you might need to pop the tank off and adjust it by the throttle bodies.. you also might wanna lube the cable just to make sure.

Also make sure, if you changed grips, that the edge of the grip is not rubbing your barends.

Lucky

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your immediate responses...

Drain, I'll check the kinks that you are talking about and hopefully that would fix the issue...

Lucky, if I needed to lubricate the cables, what is the proper way of doing that? What lubricant should I use?....

Tasus, what is the TPS Sensor??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drain, the cables are twisted when they are reaching up to the throttle..... So, I was thinking to readjust that by changing places of the cables at the throttle end... Would that work well?? If didnt fix the problem, I would open the tank and check out the kinks down there.... What do you think?

·
Registered
411 Posts
my brother had the exact same problem on his gen2 about 9 months back... from memory he couldn't figure it out & took it into the shop... so sorry, but I can't tell you how they fixed it...

just that "it happens" and "it's fixable"... cos I know it doesn't do it anymore.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drain,

I actually just checked out the kinks, they seem to be properly placed... I dont see any binds... But, thats according to me. I'll try working out the kinks and properly placing the cables so they dont go over each other.... and I'll let you know.

If there are anything else, let me know, guys.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a technical problem in my bike that I couldn't find a solution for till now. The thing is, whenever I rev my bike to 10k-13k and let go, the engine would not go idling as it supposed to do...

Instead, it gets stuck somewhere between 5k-7k!!! When I force the throttle to close, it does close, but as soon as I let go the throttle, the engine would rev back up to where it was...

I figured when I need to temp. solve this, I had to widely open the throttle and close it in fast motion while the clutch is plugged in or while the bike is switched off....

To fix this, I have looked at the whole throttle control cable system, its functioning well, nothing is stuck.. I removed the PC3, none of this was the problem....

I'm just curious if anybody has experienced something like this... and how it was fixed..... This problem has cost me a lowside at the track today!

So, please guys, help me with whatever you know.

Thanks and happy thanks given.
I had the same problem with my 06..fucking pain in the arse...I had to play with the adjustement screw of the cable itself on top of the handlebar and the one underneath the air box on the left side of of the throttle body beside the frame ...Lot of room! hahaah . I also use the Motion Pro Cable luber and lube for the cables.. Work like a charm... you see the dirt dripping off the cable... Then he restarded doing it after a while...I got pissed off..I brought the bike to the dealership..after numerous times going back and forth.. I obliged them to replace the whole throttle cable assembly..then no more problems.. I had a blast with that damn problem. At first I removed the PCIII and the TRE..then jumped on the cable.. and the rest is history. Also, at the same time I got kicked out of the garage (was renting one) because the neighbors put so many complaints...I was testing the damn throttle all the time lol..Good times!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
guys,

I think I found the problem... not sure tho. I found that the kinks are placed exactly where Drain says they should be placed... but when I decided to get a closer look at the cables, I found a small rubbing mark (looks like a pinch) on one of the kinks...

When I removed the kink to make sure the cable isn't affected, I actually found a small cut in the cable housing leaving the wire unaffected.

Now, should I replace the cables or just tape it? (dont wanna sound cheap, but I dont want to spend money on something I'm not sure that it will fix the problem or not)

Anyways, if I should replace it, are there better options than the factory cables?

·
Registered
23 Posts
[/attach]

the little screw there gets stuck, this is what happened to mine. lube it and play with it and it will come to its original place. its mostly cuz of moister water and dirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
hec0463; [/QUOTE said:
the little screw there gets stuck, this is what happened to mine. lube it and play with it and it will come to its original place. its mostly cuz of moister water and dirt.
I tried screwing the bolt more so it doesnt move when you force the throttle to shut... Because now whenever you force it to shut you can see that that same screw moving upwards...

It did the trick for maybe ne hour and then did the same problem.... How should I lube the screw?? Should I lube the string that is connected to that screw too?? Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok... Thanks everybody. With your help, I was able to fix the problem. It was not from the throttle cable, but actually from the one of the throttle body parts... Not the screw that was mentioned here, but the springs that are around it... Fuck, I had to remove the throttle body assy in order to get a good look at that part.

here is the part that had to be cleaned and lubricated (by WD40) in order to function in a proper way.

Here is a picture highlighting the parts. Thanks again.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts